Negative calories ok for extremely obese people?

Options
I am 29 years old and I started at about 350 lbs. I am now 317 and joined MFP Jan 5th @ 330 lbs. How do you feel about someone my size ending up with negative net calories for the day? I am eating at least 1200 calories but doing a lot of cardio. At first I could not do much but my endurance has built up and I can now do at least 45m on my stationary bike. At my weight I can burn over 1,000 calories in a day, easily and I know this diet and exercise plan can not last forever but I figure for a few more weeks it will be fine.

Replies

• Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    while I have to say that is amazing but unsustainable weight loss. You rock!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Even if your body can burn all the energy you need out of raw fat all day long, you are still probably going to lose what muscle you have to the furnace, and become deficient in a wide variety of vital nutritional components. I'd recommend no lower than 800 net calories a day, if they are "perfect" whole foods (healthy fats, proteins, and fruit/vegetable carbs) rather than crap food.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Even if your body can burn all the energy you need out of raw fat all day long, you are still probably going to lose what muscle you have to the furnace, and become deficient in a wide variety of vital nutritional components. I'd recommend no lower than 800 net calories a day, if they are "perfect" whole foods (healthy fats, proteins, and fruit/vegetable carbs) rather than crap food.

Maybe not perfect food but def 95 percent of it should be the best choices you can make. I agree with the rest of this post 100 percent! You are going to lose the muscle before fat and because muscle burns fat the loss of it will actually hinder your weight loss. You are right about it not being a long term option. maybe for a quick 20 pounds it works but in the end a steady healthy weight loss is your best bet for overall success and an achieving long term goals!

Best of Luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    This sounds pretty extreme, I'd suggest getting professional advice if you are going to go down this path.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Have you considered a PSMF? That should help with the muscle loss a bit better
  • mel090170
    mel090170 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would worry that your body might go into starvation mode and stall your weight loss. You have made such great progess that is would be a nightmare to have it stall out now. I think you should eat the calories you burn with exercise and maybe make your goal 1400.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest having a huge negative net every day, but having a negative net every now and then isn't going to hurt you. Last year I was pushing 300# and my trainer actually told me NOT to eat back my exercise calories and to consume AT LEAST 1,400 calories/day and up to 1,800 on days that I work out really hard. I'm a girl and I'm only 5'3'', so that's obviously going to work a little differently, and different things work for different people. As far as losing weight, you will lose some muscle - it's just the nature of the beast - so be sure to eat plenty of protein and do weight training, not just cardio. Cardio is great, but weight training helps you lose more inches and builds muscle, which ultimately is what really burns the fat. Best of luck to you! :drinker:
  • Cr8tive_Ingenuity
    Options
    dont stick with negative calories because even at 1200 net calories you are gonna burn alot of fat my man..one thing you need to think of is your heart health...losing too fast sounds great but your heart which you know is a muscle is used to pumping hard to get the blood through especially to your legs..when you lose alot of fat real fast it doesnt give the heart muscle the abilility to learn to slow down a bit so make sure you are doing this with a doctor okay to keep you are okay
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am 29 years old and I started at about 350 lbs. I am now 317 and joined MFP Jan 5th @ 330 lbs. How do you feel about someone my size ending up with negative net calories for the day? I am eating at least 1200 calories but doing a lot of cardio. At first I could not do much but my endurance has built up and I can now do at least 45m on my stationary bike. At my weight I can burn over 1,000 calories in a day, easily and I know this diet and exercise plan can not last forever but I figure for a few more weeks it will be fine.
    Same way for anybody with human DNA.
    You are setting yourself up for failure.

MFP has already figured out your total calories you need to eat per day to lose 1lb etc. a week. That's WITHOUT exercise. You'll notice that when you actually add exercise in, the calorie limit goes up. Why? Because it's telling you to eat your exercise calories. Large deficits aren't really good to do because while you will lose weight, what kind of weight will it be? In many cases you'll lose lean muscle tissue which LOWERS your metabolic rate even more. Then you have to eat even less to compensate for less of a calorie burn to continue to lose the same amount of weight each week.
    Be efficient. Exercise hard and eat back the calories. The hard exercise will RAISE your metabolic rate and burn more fat at rest.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just wondered why you want to make this a temporary thing. Can you find a way to eat more and quit "dieting" so that you can continue losing weight at a healthy rate? It didn't go on in one month...so it's not coming off in a short time. Take your time...eat healthy and yeah exercise with things you can stay with...like walking, or swimming whatever. Don't sell yourself so short..yo yo dieting is a major health problem...it's just a bad thing to do to your body. Congrats on what you have lost tho!
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are fine for now, but should probably bump your total cals up to around 1500 and do a higher calorie day at least once a week. As long as you can sustain it anyway.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    At your weight this might be a good idea http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook
    Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but it would be better for your body composition if you do low low calories this way
  • ashiggins
    ashiggins Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For a few weeks you will be just fine as long as you're eating 1200 cals (even if you burn them off by the end of the day). And I think it's great that you're starting with cardio--once you lose some of the excess weight you'll be able to incorporate some weight training in. You seem down to earth because you realize that you can't continue such a low net cal number, but at the beginning of your journey, you'll be just fine. Keep up the great work! (I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but try not to take warnings of "starvation mode" seriously. The idea is based on a study in which participants were kept on an 800 cal diet, with poor nutrients for 6+ months. You're not depriving yourself in that way!)
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow! I applaud your motivation! Your progress is really awesome.

But longterm, I would agree with others here that you are not eating enough to sustain your body in a healthful way. When the calculator takes into account your height, weight, age, the figure it comes up with represents the calories that your body needs to sustain it "at rest" -- that is, the calories needed to provide the energy to keep your organs functioning, to keep you breathing, your blood pumping, to keep your very cells surviving. So, I would think of the food as the fuel, and try to get the most nutrition possible out of the calories and to eat them all.

Also, studies have shown that severely restricting calories can set you on a path for your body forever requiring fewer calories. There was a recent article about this in the New York Times health section:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html

I believe that with your dedication and motivation, you will reach your goal!

What I'd hate to see is the new fit you having to eat only 1200 calories forever. When you could lose the weight more gradually and at the same time work on boosting your metabolism through exercise (strength training is especially good for this). In this scenario, I see the new fit you getting to eat 2,000 or more calories. And that sounds like a more robust life to me!

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it!
  • gregthegroove
    Options
    I started my diet at 397lbs and I had MANY MANY days negative. I think its perfectly acceptable. I however was under a doctors supervised program that met and took blood tests every so often along with blood pressure. We did this for about 16 weeks and I lost about 80 lbs.

For really big people, the game is a little different and most people treat you as if you are 200 lbs trying to lose 20 lbs or something. Its all percentages of weight loss, so while I definitely wouldnt eat less than 1200 calories or so for your size, a negative net day is not a bad thing because your body is hitting its fat stores to get what it needs.

If you ever feel like your really hungry or starving some days, you could probably eat back some of your excersise calories.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

Don't do it. When you start eating normally again someday, you'll gain unbelievably quickly.

Google some of those Medifast stories. gaining up to 3 lbs. a day once eating normally again. ugh ugh ugh.

Why do it anyway? You'll still lose weight on a normal amount of calories. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I started my diet at 397lbs and I had MANY MANY days negative. I think its perfectly acceptable. I however was under a doctors supervised program that met and took blood tests every so often along with blood pressure. We did this for about 16 weeks and I lost about 80 lbs.

For really big people, the game is a little different and most people treat you as if you are 200 lbs trying to lose 20 lbs or something. Its all percentages of weight loss, so while I definitely wouldnt eat less than 1200 calories or so for your size, a negative net day is not a bad thing because your body is hitting its fat stores to get what it needs.

If you ever feel like your really hungry or starving some days, you could probably eat back some of your excersise calories.

I did pretty much the same program, yesterday was my year anniversary, the key is when you go off the ultra low calorie is don't just jump back into maintenance eating calorie levels. It should be gradual, my first 6 months were ultra low, I lost about 125 lbs, then next month I upped my calories 100 to 200 a day, still lost about 2-3 lbs a week. For a month after that I raised it up another 100 or 200. I have been eating pretty regular and will still lose a lb or 2 a week. I'm still trying to lose though, I wanna lose another 16 lbs, but doing it gradually you are no longer feeling you're on a diet because under the supervision of a nutritionist, I have learned about the actual serving sizes and now make automatic healthy choices. It helps having a regular workout regiment. It's all about changing your lifestyle, I needed a very strict low calorie meal plan to help me realize I can do it on my own and maintain it when the time comes.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Why not increase your calorie goal instead? 1200 sounds kind of low for someone at that weight.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You are doing GREAT! I appaud your efforts!!!! Stick with it!

As long as you feel good, I'm not concerned so much about the number of calories as I am about muscle mass, loose skin, and sustainability. Folks on the biggest loser burn a lot and look and feel great (mostly), but they do a lot of strength training as well. Obviously since you are very overweight, your body can live (in part) off your fat.

In my opinion the MFP folks tend to be paranoid about eating too few calories. Weight Watchers (with tons and tons of doctors on staff and no desire to hurt folks or get sued) allows people close to goal to go as low as 1000 calories (and not eat back their exercise calories). But Weight Watchers starts folks out at a much higher calorie intake and then lowers it slowly over time. (This makes the process easier and keeps the loss steady over time.)

The issues that concern me with your extreme pattern start are:

- muscle mass --> be sure to adopt a strength training regimine along with the cardio that you are doing

- loose skin --> the faster you lose, the less time your skin has to renew itself (hence the greater the possibility of loose skin (also drink lots of water and use moisturizer); core exercises help a great deal as well

- sustainability --> it is nice, when you are extremely obese, to slowly reduce your calories over time, so that you can keep losing at a constant rate (if you start out eating really low calories, your weight loss slows over time)

I'm so excited about what you're doing. Keep up the great work!
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Aren't males supposed to net a minimum of 1500 calories a day? 1200 is the recommended lowest number for females.