size 6 is the new plus size?!??

Options

Replies

• amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    WTF???!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :noway: :noway: :noway:

I'm 5'8.5" and a size 6 and it took me 9.5 months to get here. I'll cut someone if they ever try to call me plus-sized.

Hahaha...you're too funny. But I know you're being serious. And I feel the same way. I am nowhere near a size 6 and never will be because I don't have the slender hips needed for that.

But honestly...I am no plus size girl. Not now, not even really when I started trying to lose weight. I tell people I'm an 11 and they can't believe it because I look skinnier than that. So to be honest, I think whoever thinks 6 is a plus size should be shot.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Dmpizza is right - a size 6 isn't what it was 20 years ago - its really a size 10 or 12. Twenty years ago I wore a size 6, now I wear an 8 or a 10, but I'm nowhere near as small as I was 20 years ago! I still have my pants from back then and I'd have to lose about 30 pounds to get into them! I hate vanity sizing! Tell me the truth about what size I wear! Tell America the truth about what size they wear and maybe they'll get motivated to do something about it!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Is it because size 6 today is bigger than size 6 from the 80's or 90's? Still, sounds a bit over the top to me.

Absolutely! My wedding dress in 1968 was a size 10 (I was 5'9" and weighed just under 130. My trim size 6 daughter (5'8" and weighing about 120-125) had trouble squeezing into my wedding dress. So I do believe that dress sizes have changed--a lot.

Clothing from the 60s is cut a lot smaller in the waist. Old clothes were cut with a 10 inch gap between waist and hips. Nowadays it is more like a 7-8 inch gap between waist and hips.

Yes, sizes have definitely changed, but still a moot point because a 5'9" woman at a size six is simply just NOT plus size or no where near it.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    That is ludicrous. Don't listen to ridiculous crap like that!
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I'm 5'8.5" and a size 6 and it took me 9.5 months to get here. I'll cut someone if they ever try to call me plus-sized.

Exactly what I was thinking!

LOL, Im so tired on the news media and magazines trying to say what is normal.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    Dmpizza is right - a size 6 isn't what it was 20 years ago - its really a size 10 or 12. Twenty years ago I wore a size 6, now I wear an 8 or a 10, but I'm nowhere near as small as I was 20 years ago! I still have my pants from back then and I'd have to lose about 30 pounds to get into them! I hate vanity sizing! Tell me the truth about what size I wear! Tell America the truth about what size they wear and maybe they'll get motivated to do something about it!

No, it has not changed that much. I am about a size 4/6 and can fit into some of my mothers size 4/6 from the 80's and 90's. Yes, sizing has increased, but lets get real, not by that much. EVEN SO, size 6 today is not big enough to be plus size!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Guys, plus sized MODELS are held to a different size standard then the everyday woman.
    In other words, I highly doubt you'll EVER find size 6 in the plus size section in a department store, but if a size 6 woman tried to get a job as a model, she would be considered a plus sized model, because standard runway sample size is an American size 2.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I got your back, Muffin! No one calls me plus sized after all this work!
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    I wonder when HEALTHY will be the new black. Who the hell cares what society says is plus sized? I'll be happy with my body when its strong and lean. If that's a size 6 or a size 10, it won't matter to me.

Amen to this :)
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it reminds me of how Doutzen Kroes (size 4 VS model) is considered "curvy". oh well, the fashion industry is just like that, unfortunately.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    Guys, plus sized MODELS are held to a different size standard then the everyday woman.
    In other words, I highly doubt you'll EVER find size 6 in the plus size section in a department store, but if a size 6 woman tried to get a job as a model, she would be considered a plus sized model, because standard runway sample size is an American size 2.

That still doesn't seem ridiculous though?
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Wow and I was hoping to be an 8 by the time all was said and done (12 right now and 35 lbs to go.. may get less than 8? but shooting for 8). And I'm only 5'4... blah!
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    is size 6 is a plus size then what the heck am I? I wish I was size 6!
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options

That still doesn't seem ridiculous though?

So-called plus sized models get more work now then they EVER have. It's all semantics, and not a reason to get up in arms.
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Why don't they just use robotic mannequins to model then?! Because, seriously, the size they are seeking, is probably something like what a mannequin would resemble tbh. So pretty much, they should advertise as seeking "women who look more like mannequin's in their shape" and they'll be sweet! :laugh:

I know I'd for sure be considered PLUS SIZE then. I'm 132lbs(60kgs) and I'm about a size 9(I'm in New Zealand though, so don't know what size that is in the US or UK) I think even over here, a NZ size 9 or above would be considered PLUS SIZE. Though I'm sure back in the day when Rachel Hunter starting modelling, size 10-12 was ideal. But back then, curves were in, not stick figures.

I really think in highly irresponsible of the modelling industry and/or media to promote such a teeny size. It is really unhealthy! So many women make themselves so sick and unhealthy trying to meet these ideals. And possibly develop some eating disorders along the way.

I personally think, size 8(NZ sizing) is a good healthy size if you want to be trim. But also, anything between 8-12 can still look healthy on the right person.
  • Kendrawinn
    Options
    Well I guess I want to be a plus size 6.... LOL
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Well ya know what if I get to a size 10 I'll be happy being the new "Obese"! To hell with making myself sick to conform to the perfect size by anyones standards but my own! Perfect size for me is where I am comfortable and healthy and thats what I am aiming for!
  • Faith2FeelFabulous
    Faith2FeelFabulous Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of an old saying my mom once said and I quote, "opinions are like a**holes. Everybody has one." Now, I 'm not gonna make myself sickly looking to meet their new standards. Now all this is gonna do is scare a lot of woman into thinking they have to be paper thin and make alot of people sick or dead. Not this chick. I'm always gonna keep a little thickness on me. You ask most men and they can't stand seeing super thin woman anyway. They love curves!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe said it best..."To all you girls who think you are fat because you're not a size 0, you are the beautiful one, it's society who is ugly"

The pressure to be skinny saddens me, skinny doesn't mean healthy. Ignorance as such is why so many young girls become bulimic and anorexic.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i'm a size 0 and people in the buz consider me plus sized