Poor is Potassium!

Options
So I am new to the tracking thing.....but have discovered in the last 3 days that I am considerably low in potassium. What can I do to increase that without eating a lot of bananas? Also, my sodium is really really low - is too low sodium intake a concern?

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    coconut water
  • teenya20
    teenya20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    really? coconut water? Can i buy that? Make it? Never heard of it! :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    potatoes and lima beans
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    banana's. that's how I get my potassium.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Potassium is found in a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as dairy products and meat. Try incorporating more potatoes, tomatoes, oranges, spinach, and milk into your diet.

It's also important to remember that potassium is not commonly listed on nutritional facts labels. You are most definitely getting more than you think.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Your body definitely needs sodium - but what the actual figures are for that are beyond me... do some research on the internet and then check back to your diary. I don't add salt when I cook. I don't add salt when I eat. I try to eat things that are not in cans. I try to eat more natural foods... yet my sodium is always higher than MFP says it should be. Fortunately I don't have a blood pressure issue that I'm trying to control!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are low in potassium? At least in Canada and the US nutrition labels don't require it be listed. There are a bunch of foods that I have eaten that I know are high in potassium, but the nutrition information come up as 0. That is why I don't bother tracking potassium here, the numbers just won't be accurate.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    You're probably getting a lot more potassium than you think, but food labels are not required to list it, so the only foods that do are ones that are seriously potassium-rich. Like they're showing off.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    at least 1500 on sodium but not more than 7k is the new recommendation, just came out last week I think. Potassium is easy to get from lots of veggies, tomatoes are always a good choice, there are lots of others.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    potassium levels seem to be chronically low, according to some site I was reading (webmd? probably)... more fruit, veggies, yams are really good... deeply colored veggies and fruit seems to have more.
  • _emma
    _emma Posts: 21
    Options
    coconut water! the taste takes a little getting used to for some, i don't love plain but the flavored ones are really good! i drink Zico coconut water, mango is my favorite :) and one bottle has more potassium than a banana
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Concentrated versions of any fruit or vegetable is good for increasing potassium. I buy reduced sodium canned tomatoes every chance I get. I make homemade tomato soup with Hunt's reduced sodium tomato paste (1000+ mg of potassium). Also, I make chili and spaghetti with low-sodium canned tomatoes. Dried beans are really good on potassium. I make an orange protein shake with frozen orange juice concentrate. Just a double shot of orange juice. Sweet potatoes are good. Milk has a lot of potassium.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Try googling levels and add it up. Most of the foods in here don't list it. I did this the other day, went from 1300 to 3400 Mg just by looking up the values. Vitamins and birth control also contain potassium. Keep in mind too much.potassium is not good for you, so look at the values to see what you are actually getting right now before adding in a bunch of bananas potatoes and dried apricots.
  • teenya20
    teenya20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You all rock - thanks so much! I did not realize that potassium does not have to be posted.....I am trying to monitor potassium and magnesium because they have nutritional links to keeping bp under control. But I suppose that is not going to be as easy as I hoped since it i not on labels! :) I will just keep eating as I do and assume I am doing okay! Again, thanks so much for input
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Coffe has a decent amount of potassium too.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    So I am new to the tracking thing.....but have discovered in the last 3 days that I am considerably low in potassium. What can I do to increase that without eating a lot of bananas? Also, my sodium is really really low - is too low sodium intake a concern?
    Potatoes
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You all rock - thanks so much! I did not realize that potassium does not have to be posted.....I am trying to monitor potassium and magnesium because they have nutritional links to keeping bp under control. But I suppose that is not going to be as easy as I hoped since it i not on labels! :) I will just keep eating as I do and assume I am doing okay! Again, thanks so much for input

If you're looking to lower BP, low sodium is just great! Keep doing that.
  • burnbaby38
    Options
    I add a half of banana to my smoothies and take a multi-vitamin as well. I think you are doing great!
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash and other herbal salt substitutes are a good way to add some potassium to foods.

I've seen patients that were in renal failure and avoiding sodium use those products and end up with too much potassium!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm telling you - http://www.atrailrunnersblog.com/2007/03/coconut-water-natures-electrolyte.html

more potassium than a bannna, more hydrating than sports drinks - if you can get a fresh coconut and have that it it literally the BEST thing ever. If you can only get the bottled one make sure its PURE coconut, i.e no sugar or flavor added... you will feel amazing