1200 calories

Options
mfp says to eat 1200 calories.. but i cant eat that many! and im not reallly lossing weight! then i exercise and it gives me more that i really dont eat! i dont know what to do! please help!

Replies

• tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    yOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOUR EATING 3 MEALS A DAY, COUNTING SNACKS AND DRINKS.
  • MissHoney26
    MissHoney26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, the only way I could reach that many calories is if I made one of my meals from McDonalds. I have always had a small appetite so I have no idea how I ever got overweight. Now that I learn about the 1200 calories rule, I think the reason might be because I eat less than that most days, even if I only eat junk snacks.
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    my problem is i am under my 1200 limit some days i just eat 7-900 a day so its kind of hurting when i excercise
  • 3Sarah333
    3Sarah333 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't panic...eat ONLY when you feel hungry! Try to eat every couple hours, snacks and small meals. Make sure you get fruits and veggies in. I'm NOT eating the calories that I work out... EVERYONE does different with this, just go with what works for YOU. If you are honest with yourself and keep track of everything, and not starving yourself, you should do fine!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Not to be rude, but odds are you can eat 1200 calories. Else wise you wouldn't be here.

You won't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet with exercising, because you've increased the deficit and your body will retain what it gets, because it thinks you're in a famine. So, eat and eat healthfully when you feel hungry. Think of it this way; if you don't eat, you'll gain weight and your metabolism will slow down (especially with the added stress of exercise - which you're not eating enough to maintain). If you eat, you'll perform better at the gym or where ever you're working out and you'll lose that weight.

Need nutritious ways to get more *calories: eat avocados, have a banana with peanut butter as a snack, add veggies to all meals, have some honey with your tea and eat some nuts with dried fruit.

You can have the foods you like in moderation and that'll definitely help get your counts up. Don't lose hope.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Need nutritious ways to get more *calories: eat avocados, have a banana with peanut butter as a snack, add veggies to all meals, have some honey with your tea and eat some nuts with dried fruit.

Agreed. Don't think just because something is high in calories it's bad for you, avocados, nuts, and peanut butter are great ways to get in good fats. Also I used to eat things like "source" yogurt that has low calories but then I started eating Greek yogurt which is higher but has more protein. It's all about choices. It may not be the quantity of food that you need to change, just the options.

I can kill 250 cals easy on a golden delicious apple and peanut butter!!
  • blissmanifesto
    Options
    Try to include snacks or meals that have plenty of protein. I like to keep a packet of smoked lox or salmon in the fridge; it's easy at breakfast time to just grab a few pieces and fuel up for the day without even having to cook anything. Raw unsalted mixed nuts are a good choice too. I love almond butter. I like Aidell's sausages too, although I have to check the labels to get the kinds with no added sugar. Cheese sticks are a quick easy option. Definitely bananas; at a 100 cals each, just a couple a day adds up, plus they are loaded with potassium which is all good. You can boil some eggs ahead of time and then keep them in the fridge and grab one anytime; that's about 80 cals there and all protein and healthy fats. Hummus is a great high-protein choice and full of fiber as well, maybe with some carrot sticks?
  • JeanaLK
    JeanaLK Posts: 10
    Options
    Sooooooooo, it is okay to eat the cals u worked off? Because I was jus tryin to stay under the 1200 also. I have been doin MFP now for maybe 2 weeks & I went over 1200 cals 1 time. I am loosing wight tho & faster then I thot I would. And you want more proteins in your diet. I don't think I have been getting enough because I do feel hungry at times, but just ignore it & move on.
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I started. MFP set me at 1200. I lost, I stayed under. I lost weight for 2 months at about 1.5 to 2 Lbs a week. After 2 months I plateaued. I changed my goal to 1300, trying to eat 1500 and net at 1300. lost weight after I changed. Been doing research and talking with MFP fieinds and feel yes you do need to net atleast 1200.
  • Acatlett77
    Options
    Right after joining MFP I went to the doctor & he gave me a list of things I shouldn't eat. Basically it said no carbs AT ALL! So I tried that for a little while but I was eating WAY less than 1200 cals per day! Which in my opinion is a HUGE NO NO!!! Especially if your working out. He did tell me a few things that were ok that had carbs so I took that nutritional info & used it as a guideline for everything else I bought. I had NO problem eating 1200 after that! Just recently I've had to add more calories as I get hungry more so now I'm actually eating back my exercise calories. You need to eat when your hungry. If you truly aren't hungry then you need to eat anyway! Eating less than 1200 will not help you loose weight. Your body will go into starvation mode & store the fat because it's not sure when the next meal will be. If your working out it's even worse! Your body needs fuel after a workout. It's kinda like a car needs gas to go...same principal. Do some research to find snacks or meals that you can eat. There are high calorie snacks that are good for you. Once you get to where your eating 1200 per day it will be easy! Good luck & you can do it!!!!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Can't? Cannot? You CAN'T eat that many calories??? Buy yourself a bar of dark chocolate and go to town on that badboy. Seriously, if you can't eat MORE food, eat more calorie-dense foods.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sooooooooo, it is okay to eat the cals u worked off? Because I was jus tryin to stay under the 1200 also. I have been doin MFP now for maybe 2 weeks & I went over 1200 cals 1 time. I am loosing wight tho & faster then I thot I would. And you want more proteins in your diet. I don't think I have been getting enough because I do feel hungry at times, but just ignore it & move on.

Yes eat back your calories-- and don't ignore the hunger. Just satisfy it with a healthy snack. Proteins work best for me.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    "I can't eat all those calories!"

Yes you can. If you couldn't eat 1200 calories you wouldn't need to be losing weight.
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but odds are you can eat 1200 calories. Else wise you wouldn't be here.

You won't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet with exercising, because you've increased the deficit and your body will retain what it gets, because it thinks you're in a famine. So, eat and eat healthfully when you feel hungry. Think of it this way; if you don't eat, you'll gain weight and your metabolism will slow down (especially with the added stress of exercise - which you're not eating enough to maintain). If you eat, you'll perform better at the gym or where ever you're working out and you'll lose that weight.

You can have the foods you like in moderation and that'll definitely help get your counts up. Don't lose hope.

I agree I can't eat 1200 calories either unless I am eating bad food. I am a weight loss surgery patient and its hard to eat when you are not hungry.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow! Are you people being real? The only time I have a hard time eating my calories is when I do some massive workout that burns 1,000 calories or something. Then I just have a hard time eating back the exercise calories. But on a typical day I have NO problem whatsoever eating my calories. And heck...I'm set to 1750!

How is this possible that so many people feel this way? I have two probably very ignorant theories.

1) Maybe you are not logging correctly? I log every bite and crumb that passes through my lips. Liquid calories, condiments, everything! It adds up quickly.

2) Maybe you are very sedentary? I need my calories just to get through my very active days. But on my sick days where I sit on the couch all day, I need very little.

I just don't understand this at all. Enlighten me on how you can be in a position where you need to lose weight and yet you are struggling to eat 1200 calories a day. It makes no sense.
  • nutteranna
    Options
    you'll find that because your eating less than 1200 calories your going into starvation mode an are not loosing the weight because of that you may even gain weight, i'd recomend buying some buiscuits and lots of fruit, i often fin it hard to get to 1200 cals too but i'll have a hotchcolate and a apple or buiscuit to add up the callories, or something like that good luck in your weight loss you can do it hun i know you can and make sure you eat over 1200 cals a day otherwise you will gain and not loose any weight
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Agree with above post and the following advice. If you don't eat your calories and your exercise calories your body goes into self protection as it thinks you are starving.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you can eat other things besides egg whites and veggtables. try things like whole eggs, nuts, pasta, etc.

and try drinking some calories. i love protein shakes. do i need to bust out the picture?
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    thor1god1of1awesome Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I agree
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    Don't panic...eat ONLY when you feel hungry! Try to eat every couple hours, snacks and small meals. Make sure you get fruits and veggies in. I'm NOT eating the calories that I work out... EVERYONE does different with this, just go with what works for YOU. If you are honest with yourself and keep track of everything, and not starving yourself, you should do fine!

that is true.. only eat when you are hungry. Your body knows what it needs and when it needs it so if your not hungry don't eat!