If you don't have a Thyroid can you go into starvation mode?

Options
I'm curious, if you don't eat enough calories you risk going into starvation mode which slows your metabolism, but if you do not have a thyroid which controls metabolism and are taking synthroid can this happen? If no one knows I will ask my endocronologist Monday and post the answer.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Having hypothyroidism myself, I'd say your chances of starvation mode are probably greater. If you think about it, the fact that you are hypo means your body is having trouble metabolizing the food you are getting. If you are allowing yourself even less food, that means less nutrition and you are inviting your metabolism to have even more difficulty.
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That is the thing...I don't have a Thyroid and with my medications Synthroid and T3 I am not hypothyroid anymore. I actually can't become hypothyroid unless I don't take my meds. This is why I am so curious
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no such thing..its a myth..do your research..real research, not just hearsay and what someone heard someone else say..
  • ukjohn
    ukjohn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, if you don't eat enough calories you risk going into starvation mode which slows your metabolism, but if you do not have a thyroid which controls metabolism and are taking synthroid can this happen? If no one knows I will ask my endocronologist Monday and post the answer.

I look forward to what you find out. Like you I no longer have a thyroid and use Levothyroxine.
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    So, I talked to my endocronologist and since I am on synthroid and t3 I basicly have an artificial metabolism??? Anyway, it is as Xraychick said no such thing as starvation mode...at least not for anyone with more that 5% body fat. Plus it takes weeks to even get to the starvation mode. So don't worry about it. Just be healthy and don't starve yourself.