Vegetarian dieting

Options
2»

Replies

• fuzzimama
    Options
    Oh good luck then :) If you've just started and you're sticking to your calories you should see a loss soon. I think how sedentary you are makes quite a difference, but if you're already eating healthily and exercising then hopefully a small adjustment will be all that you need.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Really? I've just lost 53 pounds in about 4 and a half months eating totally vegetarian. I have no problem getting my protein in. The days I do eat only a little protein until supper though, I am miserable and starving and ravenous by the evening. Obviously, the best thing to do is spread the protein out throughout the day. I make homemade spaghetti (very quick the way I make it), and through some kidney beans in. It might (?) sound like an odd combo, but they actually work really well together. I also fit lentils and mung beans along will a grain into many soups, stews, stirfries, etc that I make. I am not a huge fan of fake meats, but there are a few that I tolerate and eat on occasion. These are also great sources of protein. A half pita with four falafel balls is not that many calories, and that give you some protein from both the pita and the falafel. Oatmeal in the morning has protein, and I add a variety of seeds into mine for additional protein (hemp seeds, chia seeds, ground flax seed, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds) with just a bit of honey to sweeten it.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    FYI, whenever I eat an avocado, I ALWAYS eat the whole thing in one sitting (otherwise it turns brown and icky and I don't like adding sour lemon juice to it). It is perfectly fine to eat a whole avocado in one day (says my nutritionist).
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a pescatarian but followed a vegan diet for 9 years very strictly. I know it can be easy to eat lots of carbs when you're vegan - especially when eating out!

Edamame (soy beans) are great snacks. If you can get them frozen in asian supermarkets/health food store you can steam/microwave them and add a bit of salt and eat them as a snack or add to a stir fry. Very healthy and lots of protein. Also, you may be able to find dried edamame that are kind of like eating peanuts, with less fat. Great on their own or on top of a salad or stir fry.

Smoothies are great snacks - with soy milk and or yoghurt, banana and you can add peanut butter for some extra protein. I agree that silken tofu is a great addition to smoothies - I used to drink them a lot when I was a teenager.

Tofu is great on its own - I like to fry the extra-firm in really thin strips with a bit of soy sauce.

I also love making bean salads, mexican beans and rice with guacamole, and indian chick pea curries, and I love snacking on falafel burgers, black bean burgers and any other soy burgers without the bun. I also have a particular weakness for almost blackened veggie dogs over a campfire..

I don't know if you eat fish (I think you said you ate tuna) but I now eat salmon and smoked salmon once or twice a week, and I also eat low-fat milk products like skim-milk, low-fat cheddar and low calorie yoghurts with all bran. My food diary is public if that helps.

:smile: Add me if you like!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    FYI, whenever I eat an avocado, I ALWAYS eat the whole thing in one sitting (otherwise it turns brown and icky and I don't like adding sour lemon juice to it). It is perfectly fine to eat a whole avocado in one day (says my nutritionist).

If you leave the pit in it, it will not turn brown or mushy. Same goes for guac, if you put the pits in the bowl, it will not turn brown. I love avacados and can eat a whole one as well, I just can not afford the fat and calories.
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You do need to be careful of carbs and high fat dairy. Many vegetarian recipes will have one or the other - or both.

Beans and lentils are good for you, full of fiber and protein, and they are filling. If you chose a grain, go for a whole grain. Brown rice instead of white. Try other grains, too. Bulghur. Millet. Quinoa. Whole grain pastas instead of white.

I love hummus and veggies for a snack. I'll make a sandwich with whole grain sandwich rounds that are lower in calories and I'll fill it with a few spoons of hummus, baby spinach, thinly slice cucumber, grated carrot, thinly sliced red bell pepper, whatever is in the veggie bin that sounds good.

Stay away for processed foods as much as possible, including veggie burgers. You can make your own with beans and grains and control the calories and sodium that go into it.

Nutrient dense soups will fill you up without a huge calorie load.

Soups are my favorite way to stay full by eating primarily vegetables! they are so high volume and high water content. Always make your own so you don't have to worry about sodium!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Kale is loaded with tofu.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    I completely agree! Losing weight vegetarian is very very hard. Especially since veg diets tend to be higher in carbs and lower protein and carbs can make you hold on to water like no other (not always, thats just how it was for me!) I, after about 2 years of vegetarianism, decided to slowly start eating meat again. No red meat or pork though! Yuck!! I figured I was always lightest eating meat, heaviest when I wasn't. But, I completely understand if you don't want to eat it again! The idea of eating meat COMPLETELY grossed me out at first, but it got easier and I just don't think about it anymore. But, tempeh, tofu (Trader Joes sells awesome teriyaki tofu, pre-baked!), protein powders etc, are all still great sources of protein. Just try to lay off grains that are low in protein and high in carbs (bagels, most pastas, white bread, non-enriched cereals etc..) Good Luck!!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Kale is loaded with tofu.

A leafy green vegetable is loaded with a fermented soybean product?

Or did you mean you eat tofu stuffed in Kale? That sounds interesting. :)
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think they meant kale is loaded with protein! LOL!

I actually DO eat meat, once in a blue moon. If it is organic, antibiotic free, free range, local (I know, it's crazy), then I will eat it. Oftentimes meat by those standards is out of my budget, so it is a once in while splurge, usually when my husband is dying to grill something fabulous that I will enjoy with the family.

I think that a vegetarian diet is really delicious and I feel great on it. I'm making a conscious decision to eat less cheese right now, and definitely cut back on those avocado. They are sooo freaking good!
  • majomajo
    Options
    I am a vegetarian for 1 year and 3 month now, but gained more way than ever. I am committed to a star a new/healthier vegetarian diet this 2012 because I don't think I can't ever eat meat again, other than fish.

I once went raw, it was super hard but I lost 5 pounds in two weeks. I ate row all the way until dinner, when I would have some roasted vegetables with brown rice or something similar. For breakfast, I would have kale smoothie, it's actually really good if you add other fruits with it. If anyone is interested, I could share more recipes.

I am new at myFtinesspal and would love to add some people. Thanks!!
  • lynndelatorre
    Options
    I have been pretty happy with my progress so far in losing weight and keep it off. I am primarily an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I have found that by adding "veggie ground" to some of my recipes that I can increase the protein content. I normally start with a basic, fresh tomato sauce. I add a small amount of the "veggie ground" and season it like I would if it were meat. The pre-packaged veggie meats are expensive, but most health-food stores or co-ops sell bulk TVP (textured vegetable protein), which makes it more affordable. I am a part-time blog contributor and I have published a recipe for a basic, tasty tomato sauce that you can use as a base to build on: http://blog.madeinitalymall.com/post/7736876670/vegetarian-italian-food
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and get tons of protein in my diet without eggs, dairy or meat. Just takes a bit of planning and finding the right foods. Losing the weight is just as easy.