cooking with Coconut oil?

Options
Hey everyone.....kind of a silly question here!

I've been reading about the health benefits of cooking with coconut oil. When I was at the bulk store, I seen it was kind of expensive for a jar of it. Before I go and buy it.....just wondering how does the food taste with it?? I don't use much oil, just a little to sautee veggies for fajitas or stirfrys. Just wondering if it puts a sweet or strong taste into the food? Or is it similar to Olive Oil?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It is great to cook with. I use it everyday in the morning for my eggs. It does not have a coconut taste. No sweet taste at all. I buy the organic jar from the bulk barn (Canada).
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    Im curious what others have to say - I have some and used it to cook with and it did have a slight coconut taste to it. It wasn't at all sweet, and it wasn't overwhelming, but it was there. It has made me worried to try cooking things like eggs in it!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think there are two different types, one has more of a coconut taste than the other. I don't really know so i am hoping someone who does will chime in.

ETA - I believe the virgin coconut oil has a coconut taste whereas coconut oil does not.
  • Workin4it
    Options
    I had a friend cook a choc cake with it instead of veggie oil and it was very good, i thought it had much more flavor.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I found this on Yahoo answers (not a great source but this answer does seem like what was explained to me)

"The first type is a virgin "unrefined" coconut oil. It smells and tastes like coconuts. Some people say it is healthier, but since I am only interested in the MCT's, and I really do not like coconuts, I really do not use the stuff...

The second type is expeller pressed from dried coconuts. It has a neutral taste, which is good because I personally like putting it on the frigerator and having it on my toast in the morning... I also use it for cooking and even on my popcorn, by the way.... Meaning, I personally would not want the taste of coconut on any of these things."
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    If you don't want coconut taste, then you want the refined stuff. I believe it would be like comparing light olive oil with extra virgin, stronger taste in the latter.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    It is great to cook with. I use it everyday in the morning for my eggs. It does not have a coconut taste. No sweet taste at all. I buy the organic jar from the bulk barn (Canada).

I'm in Canada too and the bulk barn is where I seen it. I'll be sure to try it out. :smile:

Thanks for your help everyone!
  • Safeena87
    Options
    I have used raw unrefined coconut oil is has a distinctive taste.. If you want a neutral tasting coconut oil without it being zapped of all its nutrients.. Use the expeller version
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Expeller pressed has no coconut taste. Tropicaltraditions.com has it on sale buy one get one free until Jan. 19th. I use the nutiva extra virgin coconut oil (which does taste like coconuts) in baked goods and to make popcorn. Amazon (with subscribe and save) is your cheapest option for that.
  • johnaird123
    johnaird123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than just about any other oil at about 90%+.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is fairly expensive, so my suggestion is to make you own. All you need is unsweetened shredded coconut and a food processor. Place shredded coconut in processor and process for about 8-10 minutes, and voila, you have homemade coconut butter/oil. It hardens at room temperature, but can easily be warmed/heated to use for cooking, etc. Hope this helps!
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I'm in Canada too and the bulk barn is where I seen it. I'll be sure to try it out. :smile:

Thanks for your help everyone!

The one I have is -
    Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil (Refined / Expeller pressed). It may seem expensive but it lasts a long time. A few grams goes a long way. Hope this helps.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coconut oil. I cook my eggs in it (and fry my bread in it as well; no need for butter), and I add a half teaspoon to my morning oatmeal and coffee. It's fantastic stuff. It keeps you feeling full, helps kill candida (but watch -- you might have stomach cramps and diarrhea in the beginning if you consume too much), etc.

If you don't like the taste of it, there are a many other uses of coconut oil. I use it as a facial moisturizer, as shaving gel and body moisturizer, etc. It's also FANTASTIC to use over a sunburn. I fry and blister in no time, but if I apply coconut oil on my seared skin, I won't blister OR peel.

I buy the ice-cream size bucket from an organic store, and it sets me back $70 -- but lasts me several months (unless I bake a lot, of course). Try it out!
  • jenlb99
    Options
    Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than just about any other oil at about 90%+.

And it is SO GOOD for you. It's definitely worth reading up on.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    the best skin conditioner EVER!! I keep a little tub in the shower and grab a bit slather up before I dry off. Excellent for dry skin.
    I didnt care to cook with it, mind you I have only tried it to make zucchini sticks crispy, I'll have to try with eggs in the am..
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    According to what I've been reading, it is the perfect oil to use. Olive oil losses it's "good" benefit when heated so is best used at room temp. Stay away from they hydrogenated oils, they are genetically altered and change in your body.

http://www.dldewey.com/hydroil.htm
    http://www.danielplan.com/blogs/dp/dp-what-is-in-your-pantry

Check those out and you'll have a better understanding

Grapeseed oil is a good one too.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I went to a Pampered Chef party a few months ago and the presenter cooked using coconut oil. There was no taste whatsoever and the microwave chips came out perfectly crisp.

I've heard of grapeseed oil being fantastic for dry skin.
  • jenlb99
    Options
    Oh! I should also mention that coconut oil is one of the secrets to popping perfect "movie theatre popcorn" at home (stovetop)!

MOVIE-STYLE POPCORN

(Start to finish: 10 minutes)

3 tablespoons coconut oil

1/2 cup white or yellow popcorn kernels

3 tablespoons clarified butter

1 teaspoon powdered salt

In a heavy pot or stovetop popcorn popper, melt the coconut oil over low heat. Add the popcorn kernels and spread evenly over the bottom of the pot.

Cover the pot, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and increase heat to medium. Gently shake pan back and forth over heat until the kernels stop popping, about three to four minutes.

Uncover and let the popcorn sit for one minute.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in the microwave. This should take only a few seconds.

Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl. Drizzle the butter over it, then sprinkle with salt. Use two large spoons to gently toss the popcorn to coat evenly with butter and salt. Serve immediately.

Makes about 10 cups.
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    anything one would use butter for, i use coconut oil for! its fantastic! coconut, olive and seasme oil are the only oils in my house :D
  • shanea98
    shanea98 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is 91% saturated fat where canola and Olive Oil are 7 and 15% respectively. So when it comes to your lipid panel, Coconut oil will raise your overall cholesterol, your bad cholesterol (LDL) and lower your good Cholesterol (HDL). Where as olive oil lowers bad and raises good and canola lowers bad. So in actually it is very bad for you in repects to heart health.