Depression and how you handle it...

Options
From time to time, I do get the blues. I am wondering how you all handle it. I am a long distance runner and my depression is very short lived now. I do get it from time to time but its nothing like it used to be.

Replies

• nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    When I'm having a down day I've found the best thing for me is to let people close to me know, sometime just acknowledging it is enough. Otherwise I take some time for me, read a book, watch a film, anything to give a bit of indulgence. Also I've found that when I'm exercising more I do have less down days.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Music. And running/walking. And just sitting there and thinking. It sounds odd, but sometimes I think we just need to give ourselves some time to sit down, think, and relax. Do something for yourself, and indulge in something :smile:
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I used to run 10k (when I was considerably smaller!) and I found a good long run used to help. It was a bit like meditating. Everything in my head used to sort itself out and I'd just feel better about things. Exercise and healthy foods definitely help but so does talking about it, as long as it works for you. Fresh air and sunshine are great too so running outside is so much better than the treadmill - for me anyway :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog on this a little while ago, as I too have suffered with depression. I hope it helps:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/netchik/view/dealing-with-depression-drug-free-175474
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    how.... these days, i seem to keep it to my self. BUT have been known to tell folks, and, feel like i bug them to often, so i just yeh keep it to my self these days
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of like you myself. I love to run distance, I'm also an emotional person. So if I'm feeling down then
    1. I'm not fueling my body correctly.
    2. My mental will power is rock bottom.
    3.Its 10x harder to get out the door.
    I usually force myself to go, sometimes I don't make the wanted distance but I figure anything is better than nothing. I also make sure I fuel regardless of whether I want to or not. I know emotions don't last long so my theory is if I can just make it through then it will get better. =)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    exercising has made my depression almost non existent... but i still get some bad days..

i go for a run and a lifting session!
    i also sing and dance...
    write a song, painting, drawing...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between depressed (blues) and acute depression. When I was acutely depressed (post marathon #1) I had no reason to be depressed. I think that I was just depleted physically and it threw me off for a few months. I had to take it easy and just be patient and hope for the best. I did try to self treat with St John's Wort which did seem to help a little. And I did get better after about 3 months. It was not a fun time at all and was especially surprising to me because I had never had such an episode before and I'm normally a very active, positive person.

Aside from this one incident, from time to time, I do get the blues, maybe related to my cycle or circumstances. This type of "depresson" or blues is different than the acute type and I "treat" it differently. I make sure that I'm getting enough sleep (usually this is the factor that I cannot control and yet needs to be addressed first). Sleep is sooooo much important than most people will admit. If you don't get enough sleep, it will start affecting your life adversely. After sleep, I look at my diet and pay more attention to my choices. A balanced diet is also more important than what many people give it due. Logging my food in MFP has helped me tremendously. After sleep and diet, I make sure that I exercise regularly, although I may need to turn it down a few notches so that I don't wear myself down. I tend to workout vigorously on my regular weekly program and thus I do normally wear myself down 5 or 6 days per week with only one real rest day per week. If I'm feeling blue, I have to be mindful of how tired I am BEFORE I work out and possibly lower the intensity or even skip a workout in order to pamper myself a bit. (I think that part of this equation is that I'm no spring chicken either. Seriously, I do think that I'm more emotional than I ever used to be. And that's fine but just something to be mindful of.)

None of this is anything new in the way of treating depression, I'm sure. Just the same old wisdom that generally works. :)

Good luck and God bless!
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @ NEtchik: Awesome job on the blog. I've been treading the treacherous waters of depression my whole life. As with everything in life, unless you have lived it, you have no clue. It's always nice to be reminded that there are MANY others out there who do get it and have found ways to deal with it. More smiles than tears for us all! :)
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    Their was no reason for me to be down in the dumps, I found I was 'downling myself' last night. I had to look at my achievements to see what I did in the past year was simply AMAZING!!! I had no reason to be a sour puss. I think mine has to do with school starting up next week (Electrical Engineering at UTSA). I am just worried and nervious about that routine again.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    AH! Nothing like the pressure of higher education to sap the life out of you! Best of luck! Just keep in mind, it all the crap you are going through now will so be worth it when you are handed that diploma :smile:
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I take some natural (all natural) supplements to deal with depression and anxiety. Couldn't get through my days if I didn't. :)
    So I'd say they work for me! :) I just don't like actual depression/anxiety medication that I could get from a doctor. It's so addictive and always comes with a list of crazy side effects. No thank you!

One of the supplements is as simple as Fish Oil. Has a major impact on brain function.

Just message me if you want more info. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Netchik - Excellent blog post.

My most powerful depression-fighters ( I can't take drugs either) are:

~Breathe. It fights anxiety physiologically
    ~Balanced food intake. The right amount, and the right foods. It's more important WHAT you eat than how much.
    ~Exercise. Even 10-20 minutes every day does wonders.
    ~Keep busy. Busy hands are happy hands.