Say It Ain't So!: Bacon May Increase Cancer Risk 20%

Options
_binary_jester_
_binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/01/say-it-aint-so-bacon-may-increase-cancer.php
In what I'm really hoping is some sort of sick Friday the 13th joke, a new study published in the British Journal of Cancer suggests that regular bacon consumption significantly increases the risk of pancreatic cancer. Wow cancer, really? Could you be a bigger ****head?

Eating 50g of processed meat every day - the equivalent to one sausage or two rashers of bacon - increases the risk by 19%, compared to people who do not eat processed meat at all. For people consuming double this amount of processed meat (100g), the increased risk jumps to 38%, and is 57% for those eating 150g a day. But experts cautioned that the overall risk of pancreatic cancer was relatively low - in the UK, the lifetime risk of developing the disease is one in 77 for men and one in 79 for women.

No clue how they came up with those numbers, but my guess is a lot of rats were put to death happy. "Did you even read the article, GW? They just studied people's diets and cancer development." Oh. Still, are you thinking what I'm thinking? "Fear monger with the hopes they put bacon on sale at the supermarket?" Exaaaaaaactly. Operation Bargain Bacon begins...NOW. Bacon linked to higher risk of pancreatic cancer, says report [guardian] and Bacon Photo [laine'srecipebox] Thanks to cos5000, who agrees everything that's fun in life will eventually kill you. God, tell me about it. You know how many times I've almost been eaten by a dinosaur post-coitus?

My only thought was 20%? Bacon is worth the risk.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So dont eat processed meat?
    Okay!

I like bacon!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    OPERATION BARGAIN BACON!!! I'm so in...

And I'm terribly sorry about the post-coitus Dinosaur attacks. That's gotta suck.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Bring it on. *munches on a bacon butty*
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    <----eating bacon while doing lines of sweet n low
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    <----eating bacon while doing lines of sweet n low

*LMAO*
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    We need to promote this story so that people will boycott bacon. Then us true bacon lovers will have it all to oursleves, hopefully at a lower price because they just wanna sell it any way they can.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Something is going to kill me, might as well be bacon.

mmm

bacon

demotivational-posters-you-cant-buy-happiness1.jpg
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Something is going to kill me, might as well be bacon.

mmm

bacon

demotivational-posters-you-cant-buy-happiness1.jpg

Even better, that looks like candied bacon.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Probably for this study, then the next study will say it prevents cancer This is the video for Bacon very funny

http://youtu.be/UKBJ19hPL4k
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Woooooorth it. Mmmmm Bacon
  • JustGresh
    Options
    Everything causes cancer. I'm totally going to continue my bacon consumption! Definitely worth the risk. If I'm gonna die at least I'll be happy.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    We need to promote this story so that people will boycott bacon. Then us true bacon lovers will have it all to oursleves, hopefully at a lower price because they just wanna sell it any way they can.
    This is brilliant.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    My grandma is 89 years old. Has no known health problems. Every day for breakfast she has one fried egg with about 4-6 pieces of bacon!!!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Glad I'm a veggie ;) Veggie bacon for me!
  • lacotto
    lacotto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I will not be separated from my meat candy. And turkey bacon? That's like making Easy Mac rather than Macaroni and Cheese from scratch. It's a lie.
  • _binary_jester_
    Options
    My grandma is 89 years old. Has no known health problems. Every day for breakfast she has one fried egg with about 4-6 pieces of bacon!!!
    Anecdotal evidence will not be accepted. You grandmother is a freak of nature which falls outside the test parameters.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    This little boy WANTS HIS BACON ITS GOOD FOR ME
    http://youtu.be/UKBJ19hPL4k
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have not eaten bacon in years. I do not miss it now. IN fact, the other night I made spinach pie for dinner and made bacon for the hubby and kids who love it--and the smell made me want to vomit. It really is nasty "meat"
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon.....

I don't think I've met anyone (minus vegetarians) who did not like bacon.

You can't argue: It just makes everything better.
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal evidence will not be accepted. You grandmother is a freak of nature which falls outside the test parameters.
    Lots of people can offer up anecdotal evidence to things, but I always have to take that with a grain of salt.
    There are people who smoke who do not get cancer, but many smokers do--that does not mean that smoking DOESN'T cause cancer, it means that it doesn't cause cancer in ALL users. There are heroin addicts who have had healthy babies with no problems, but that doesn't make doing heroine while pregnant a healthy thing. Same with things like "bacon increases cancer risk". Bottom line--it's NOT healthy--it's up to the user (in this case eater) to make the choice!