What's your WEEKLY weight loss goal, and why?

Options

Replies

• nestofhope
    Options
    to keep off what i have lost so far, and to press into the last 15-20 pounds!! I am adding an exercise plan to the healthier eating plan now that i have taken the first 1/2 of my weight loss off!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with 2 pounds, if some weeks I only lose 1, that's fine, just no gain and no getting stuck, it drives me nuts.

I would of course love to lose every extra pound I've got instantly, or at least a big number like 10 pounds a week, but that way lies yo yo dieting, starvation, and being really, really cranky. Plus all kinds of fun health issues.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Mine's between 1 and 1.5 lbs per week, but I lose more like 2-3 sometimes.
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    I chose to lose 1lb a week just because thats realistic for me :)
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been losing about 1 lb a week and sometimes a bit more. It is averaging out to about 1.8. I have been following my new eating plan for about 4 months but it is consistent and I feel good.
  • jennyc1203
    jennyc1203 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My weekly goal loss is 2 lbs. I just want to keep it realistic, do-able, and safe. I dont need a goal thats gonna keep me starving all week long!!
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I had mine set at 2 lbs per week, but I found eating 1200 calories per day way to low. I went back and forth losing, giving up and gaining, losing again and so on... When it was all said and done, I ended the year 5 lbs heavier then when I started in March.

At the beginning of 2012, I changed my settings to 1 pound which allowed me an extra 200 calories. I am finding it way easier to live with. I eat a healthy breakfast, lunch, and snack and then still have enough calories left to have a normal dinner with my family.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Cheers,

Alsison
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    1lb a week because this time I want to keep it off :)
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    When I first joined I set my goal to 2lbs a week, but as soon as I realized that meant I would only get 1200 calories, I said eff that and bumped it down to 1lb. I'm pretty close to my goal weight, so I might even think of lowering it to 1/2 lb. Slow, steady, sane, and sustainable.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I first started dieting I wanted to loose as much as possible weekly. But I realized that the most I should aim for was 2 lbs a week. I knew that I might loose 3 lbs some weeks since I started out at such a heavy weight and ate so much. But I didn't want to be disappointed if I lost less.

So my initial goal was 2 lbs per week.

Then as I approached my final goal weight I actually wanted to slow down my weight loss. I wanted to give my body time to adjust to my new weight. I wanted to have more nutrients. And I wanted to start getting accustomed to eating more gradually. That is when I changed my weekly goal to 1 lbs per week.

I have now lost 62 lbs. I still have my weekly goal at 1 lbs per week. I am not really sure how much more I want to loose because I really don't like to be on the thin side. I like being curvy. I am at a size 12 at 5 '6 and I like it. I don't know if I will like being a size 10.

I am planning to continue my weight loss to see how I look as I approach size 10. If I like it I will keep it. If I don't I will go back to size 12.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    When I first began (with 70 pounds to lose), I was aiming to lose 2 lb. a week. Now, I'm aiming for .5 lb. per week. I have between 15 and 20 to get to my truly happy place... and I am in a size that if I lost nothing else, I could live with forever, so I cut it down to .5 so I could start to enjoy being who I have become. I am still losing--slowly--and I'm okay with that. I got time. I'm just enjoying being able to play with my kids and not get winded after two minutes! :)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I chose to lose 1 pound a week. Mainly because I want to make this weight loss and sustaining and keeping the goal weight off by doing it slowly and in a way that I can keep it off. Plus, around mid-december of last year was when I really resolved to take this weight off (my life is going to be going through some changes and I felt that I should let my body and weight be one of them) so I said that if I could work to lose at least 3-5 pounds a month for the next 10-12 months of 2012 that I would most certainly make it to my goal of being around 150lbs. I'm in it for the long haul and doing it slowly will be better than trying to overwork and lose 2 pounds a week for only 4 weeks and then lose motivation and forget about it.

Maybe for some people 2 pounds a week is good enough for them, but to me that sounds too fast.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Started at 2 lbs a week... quickly realized that was a horrid idea. Switched to 1 lb per week, then got within 25 lbs of goal and switched to 1/2 lb per week. Now I'm set for 100-150 cal deficit/day, which comes to about 1 lb per 3-4 weeks, but am really working on the caliper (BF%) rather than the scale.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago and had it set at 1 lb. per week. However I do 1 1/2 - 2 hours of exercise 6 days a week so at the end of the day I was eating snacks to try to make the calories although I wasn't hungry. I didn't like doing that and I need to loose atleast 18 lbs. so I upped it yesterday to 2 lb. a week. I have lost 4 lbs. the first week I'm sure it will even out and some of that is water weight so I am fine with it. I am trying to loose a steady 2 lb. a week due to I am in a wedding in 2 months and need the dress to fit me properly. In 7 months in my 10 year reunion and I would like to reach my goal for that which I believe is realistic. I will continue to work out 5 to 6 days a week and following the calorie plan that MFP has set me up for. The 1200 Calorie is not difficult IF you are drinking atleast 8 cups a water a day as suggested. It really helps feel you up!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is just to be healthier, so I don't really pay much attention to "loss per week". But, I have MFP set at 1/2 lb right now. After I lost about 20 lbs, MFP dropped the number of calories I should have to lose a pound a week and I went into a plateau. Decreasing my goal to 1/2 lb per week upped by cals and I started losing again.
  • DietPep1978
    Options
    My goal is also 1lb a week. Anything else that comes off is bonus.

I'm not doing anything extreme or cutting things out. I don't think going to extreme is bad, it just isn't for me. I am not able too cut things out, I just don't have it in me to limit myself like that. However, I CAN eat smaller portions, I CAN eat in moderation (sometimes I indulge), that is do-able for me. I have come to the realization that I don't have to eat everything now and at inappropriate times. Not that I do it all perfectly, just slowly trying to get a hold of this eating stuff. I want to develop something that I can maintain forever...so...eating everything I normally would...but smaller portions and at better times (ie...not having all my meals for the week be fast food...LOL).
  • dawnstrassburg
    Options
    Mine is at 1.5 a week, I'd like to see results sooner BUT i want to do this to be healthy. The 1.5 allows me to reach my goal weight by the end of July...just in time for my august 11 wedding
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose, but I decided to set my goal at 1.5 pounds per week instead of two. When you have this much weight to lose, taking the weight off fast isn't necessarily better if it isn't something you can stick to long-term.

My first major attempt to lose weight was ten years ago. During that time, I have been on a yo-yo of loss and gain, and tried every diet in the book. What kills me is that I did intensive study of nutrition in school. I know what my body needs to be healthy and I know these quick fix plans don't work. But I kept trying things. Over the last year, I decided to start focusing on my health instead of my weight loss. I found a great therapist who helped me talk about the emotional battles I struggle with and begin to understand why I overeat and what positive habits I can replace that with.

Ultimately, even if I went for two pounds a week it will take me over a year to get close to my goal (and that's if I don't have any plateaus or setbacks). This is not something I will achieve quickly. If I try to maintain a super-strict diet plan for over a year, I will not succeed. I know myself too well. When I feel deprived and tell myself I can never have something I enjoy, I rebel against myself. I just have to make the healthiest choices I can every day and not beat myself up when life includes a little birthday cake or a dinner at a nice restaurant.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    I shoot for 1 -2 max not interested in losing muscle - body fat only. There is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss - losing fat changes the way your body looks for the better, losing weight to fast changes the way your body looks for the worst.
  • Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is plenty for me even though I have about 80 to drop - I'm an old(ish) git and have been a fat old git for a good ten years, so I want to shrink slowly to give my skin a fair chance at keeping up with me - it's less elastic than it was 20 years ago! Also I don't have to restrict meals much at this rate, just the hoffing snacks in between :D