Any Gamers Out There

Options
2»

Replies

• bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I totally am! Like someone above me said, it's better to get your workout done sooner, and then enjoy just chilling and playing for hours :) Don't try to totally kick your gaming addiction. That may derail you. Just give working out your priority, and as soon as it's done, have fun! I looove Skyrim, basically any open world sandbox type game. Nice to see some female gamers here too, I only know one girl who loves and plays as much as I do. BTW, I have a 360 too :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, Guild Wars guild leader here and it takes a lot of time. I was putting on the pounds sitting in from of my screen every spare moment. Now, I don't log in till late but I try to be there at least a bit. Had to set up a schedule for workouts and stick too it, now it's a habit. It get's easier the longer you do it and begin to apply that gamer attitude to personal challenges, a little more weight, a little more speed, a little more distance, each week I set a new "level" to achieve. So my late life gaming experience is helping me set goals in fitness too.
  • spaceys
    spaceys Posts: 58
    Options
    Not a big gamer here, but I do love my Words With Friends and Wii. I've been meaning to get back into Wii Active with the balance board but hasn't happened yet.

Anyone else have a balance board and use it as their scale for weigh-ins? I do, and it's probably not that accurate, but I don't feel like buying a scale :)
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    There's a gaming group here! You should check it out! They're very welcoming!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19-mfp-gamers
  • kerrisue84
    kerrisue84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I myself am also a gamer and can certainly thank it for the 40 or so pounds extra I need to lose! I was a loyal WoW player and now also SWTOR. I have recently got an XBOX 360 and Kinect and find myself up and moving on those games instead of sitting and playing the PC games! You can really break a sweat with the sports or dance games!
  • Julesong
    Julesong Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to World of warcraft! I was told If you are still gonna play you can replace your desk chair for an exercise ball I am trying it and so far my stomach feels tighter without crunches.

Now there's an idea! Think I'll get one of those today, for sure. :)
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am so addicted to World of warcraft! I was told If you are still gonna play you can replace your desk chair for an exercise ball I am trying it and so far my stomach feels tighter without crunches.

If I ever go back to mmos I am def getting one of these! I was thinking about it back then, but I needed to make a serious change in my life and cataclysm was sucking it anyways so figured it was the best time to do it... lol =) But I hear good things about swtor, and the secret world looks pretty interesting!
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, Guild Wars guild leader here and it takes a lot of time. I was putting on the pounds sitting in from of my screen every spare moment. Now, I don't log in till late but I try to be there at least a bit. Had to set up a schedule for workouts and stick too it, now it's a habit. It get's easier the longer you do it and begin to apply that gamer attitude to personal challenges, a little more weight, a little more speed, a little more distance, each week I set a new "level" to achieve. So my late life gaming experience is helping me set goals in fitness too.

I actually remeber stumbling across a site that wasnt up and running yet but was something like that with levels to achieve and you gained xp by working out and being under your calories and stuff like that it looked neat i dont know if they ever did get it up and running
  • Julesong
    Julesong Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Thank you for posting the group, much appreciated! :) I joined it and hope to chat more with you all.

As I posted in the intro thread over there, I'm Julie/Julesong and am a casual gamer but overall big geek. :) I mostly play WoW. I have a 360 and don't yet have a Kinnect although I will get one in the future simply for the physical activity games.

Big into scifi/fantasy books, writing, television, movies... especially Firefly. Literally I'm a huge Browncoat. :)
  • KMaslowski87
    KMaslowski87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree. WoW was my biggest health killer! I haven't played in months and *gasp* I have time!!
  • adamtall
    adamtall Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    lol i was out of WoW for almost 6 months (quit just before the baby came) and logged in because a friend had asked me for something off my toon (probally all my gold) and signed me up for a month worst idea ever :(
  • marleebaby
    Options

Thank you! I joined! I'm a huge gamer, I actually work at GameStop, I get to see some pretty cool behind the scenes stuff. I have a PS3, A Wii, Super NES (with about 50 games for that one!) Nintendo, Gamecube... I play them ALL. My favorite game right now is Skyrim, and I love Cooking Mama Cookoff. It's like a workout for your arms.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    I too am a gamer, the last 7 years mostly WoW. Ran my own guild for the full duration... about a year ago handed it over to a friend/officer and its still going now but I don't play... or I try not to :P It didn't help that both me and my boyfriend played alot... we would sit next to each other talking through out headsets on Mumble to each other rather than actually face each other and talk...lol pretty sad :( I can pretty much blame the game for my weight gain... it wasn't until I quit and took up running that I started to lose weight.

I still play other games now, mostly on the Wii and Xbox360... but always games that you can pause and save so I can get on with life and play the games later when there really is nothing going on (rainy days and Sundays :P) :)

The best thing I got out of my MMO time was that I met some very cool people and continue to meet up with them a couple of times a year all over europe, for that reason I don't see playing these kind of games as being anti social at all... it's just better to get some fresh air now and again when meeting with friends rather than doing it over a headset and pixels... better for your health at least.

It's amazing what you find time to do when you stop spending so much time online... and when you return to it... it's even more amazing how much time flies... finding its suddenly 4am and your still in your PJ's from the night before and you're surrounded by energy drink cans and junk food packaging :P

My boyfriend is a complete addict... he spends hours and hours playing SWTOR and reading sites like Readdit religiously but he too is slowly doing more away from the PC and even comes running with me now and again.