Questions about exercising abs & diastasis recti

Options
I just read another thread about diastasis recti in women who've had babies. I have two boys who are not babies anymore! They are five and eight. However, I'm positive that diastasis recti is why my belly is so "floppy" aside from the fatness of it. I've been doing Jillian Michaels 30DS, elliptical a few times per week and dancing, here and there.

I was going to start planks and crunches sometime next week in addition to the above. Are there any other exercises you'd recommend to fix diastasis recti? Is it ok to to planks, crunches (of all variations), pilates, etc?

Replies

• LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bumping, hoping for advice! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I know that not all exercises are indicated if you have this condition. I researched it for a client a couple of months ago, but can't remember the details.

Search both Google and Youtube before you start anything new. There is enough information available so you should not have to guess.
  • BeFitMom
    Options
    To repair diastasis recti after pregnancy, you need to start by building a lot of strength back into your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. When contracted, the TvA compresses the abdomen. The TvA does not move bone. Then after this muscle has regained adequate strength, you need to do specialized postnatal rehab exercises that train the muscle to function properly as a stabilizer.
    If your mid line is very wide, more than 3 finger-widths, you can also add manual splinting of your mid line with your hands to assist your TvA.
    In the mean time, do not perform ANY abdominal exercises that lift/flex the upper body off the floor or against the force of gravity, as these moves will make the condition worse. No crunches, oblique pulses, roll-ups, roll-downs, most Pilates mat work, and yoga moves like “boat pose.”
    All women with diastasis should use the “log roll” technique when rising from the floor, or getting out of bed to protect their mid lines.
    Because you are years post childbirth, you may not be able to close the gap all the way, but you can certainly improve the shape of your tummy.
    BeFit-Mom