Who wants to offer some constructive...

Options

Replies

• kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You are very much like me. I find I have a higher consumption of sodium than is ideal and I tend to eat the majority of my calories after 3:00pm. You should try to have a big breakfast, a medium size lunch and a light dinner (plus snacks throughout the day). That's what I am trying to do. A larger breakfast helps the metabolism gear up and a medium sized lunch fuels the burn. I wouldn't worry too much about the sodium.
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You are not actually doing too bad, but can start subbing out some things. Trade unsweetend Almond milk for whole milk. If you don't like the taste, go for 1% or Skim. Instead of 80/20 blead hamburger, use 97/3 or lean turkey burger. Instead of 2 whole eggs, use 3 egg whites and one yolk or buy the egg substitute. Use low-fat or non-fat cheese. Also add more fresh or frozen fruits and Veggies. Very filling and low-cal.

Been wanting to try almond milk--is it expensive?

I just discovered almond milk and definitely find it's worth the cost. I got the sweetened (60 cal.) they have different types but I haven't tried them yet.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    It really depends what your goals are and your current weight and height. I'd recommend you figure out your TDEE. If you're interested in figuring out how to do that I can link a post I made a couple of months ago in which one of the really knowledgable guys on here, Sidesteal, gave me a great link to a sticky on bodybuilding.com.

Once you have that figure you can determine how many calories to consume daily. It'll also help you figure out your ratios for protein and fat, the two most important macronutrients to set of the three. Carbs should be whatever's left over. For example, I have 1g of protein for each lb of lean body mass which for me is 110, given that I weigh 145 and my body fat percentage is 24%. My ratios are 35% fat, 35% protein and 30% carbs. Overall, your diary looks pretty good, but again, to assess it properly it really helps to know what your goals are.

Well apparently my calories are set very high? I weigh like 285, and that is just what MFP set it at. My BMR was calculated to be 2,035 or something. Should it be lower? I usually eat pretty low, around 12 to 1400, but I've been at a standstill and thought I may not have been eating enough. I would very much like that link, though, thank you! xo
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    If I were to drop down around 1400, I would be threatening to eat my own limbs and small children.

HAHAHAHA-sorry, that quote hit me so funny I almost wet myself. The limbs and small children part.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of your quantities seem huge - 12 ox minced steak in one go? 6 slices of bacon? 3 cups of strawberries?

That's not really advice, but okay. I don't have 12 ounces of steak all the time, nor do I have bacon a lot, nor strawberries. And a lot of the time, I add it all at once in same category if I know I'm going to have more later.

It does have some hidden advice, in this case I think the person was trying to tell you to attempt smaller portions, but came across as cynical instead. I think that the intention was there though.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    You are very much like me. I find I have a higher consumption of sodium than is ideal and I tend to eat the majority of my calories after 3:00pm. You should try to have a big breakfast, a medium size lunch and a light dinner (plus snacks throughout the day). That's what I am trying to do. A larger breakfast helps the metabolism gear up and a medium sized lunch fuels the burn. I wouldn't worry too much about the sodium.

I just don't want to mess with my BP haha! But I think I do okay over all. Also, my "dinnner" is usually at around 3, and my "snacks" tend to be when I get hungry later. We have to eat dinner early because my fiance's father goes to bed really early and complains when we cook after he goes to bed *rolls eyes*
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It really depends what your goals are and your current weight and height. I'd recommend you figure out your TDEE. If you're interested in figuring out how to do that I can link a post I made a couple of months ago in which one of the really knowledgable guys on here, Sidesteal, gave me a great link to a sticky on bodybuilding.com.

Once you have that figure you can determine how many calories to consume daily. It'll also help you figure out your ratios for protein and fat, the two most important macronutrients to set of the three. Carbs should be whatever's left over. For example, I have 1g of protein for each lb of lean body mass which for me is 110, given that I weigh 145 and my body fat percentage is 24%. My ratios are 35% fat, 35% protein and 30% carbs. Overall, your diary looks pretty good, but again, to assess it properly it really helps to know what your goals are.

Well apparently my calories are set very high? I weigh like 285, and that is just what MFP set it at. My BMR was calculated to be 2,035 or something. Should it be lower? I usually eat pretty low, around 12 to 1400, but I've been at a standstill and thought I may not have been eating enough. I would very much like that link, though, thank you! xo

You need to find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is. This is your BMR and your activity level combined. If your BMR is over 2000, then I wouldn't be aiming for 1400 as your calorie goal. Your TDEE is going to be higher and you'll have too large of a deficit.
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    Maybe try getting in calories earlier in the day, looks like the bulk of them are at dinner.

agree completely with this. while its hard to do, i believe the theory of reverse pyramid eating. biggest meal at breakfast to stoke the metabolic furnace for the day, etc.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

You need to find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is. This is your BMR and your activity level combined. If your BMR is over 2000, then I wouldn't be aiming for 1400 as your calorie goal. Your TDEE is going to be higher and you'll have too large of a deficit.

So how do I figure that out? I love new information--perhaps this will help kickstart my loss again! Thank you so much for your help and kindness.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Maybe try getting in calories earlier in the day, looks like the bulk of them are at dinner.

agree completely with this. while its hard to do, i believe the theory of reverse pyramid eating. biggest meal at breakfast to stoke the metabolic furnace for the day, etc.

You'll have to read my other post about when I have to eat "dinner" lol.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

So how do I figure that out? I love new information--perhaps this will help kickstart my loss again! Thank you so much for your help and kindness.

Here you go. This is one of the TDEE calculators that I use:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As for almond milk, I buy Silk almond milk the vanilla flavor. It is 90 cal. A serving, but I usually only have a half a serving at a time. It's yummy.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    By the way, there is nothing wrong with whole milk, cheeses and even bacon. If it feels good to eat them by all means do!

I love my whole milk, and I find I rarely go over on fat, so i'm not really concerned with it. I has a lot of vitamins and calcium, which I need to help keep my heartburn under control :) Bacon, however, is a rare indulgence! lol
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options
    Took a peek at the food diary and here's some advice for you

Breakfast time: Add some more protein...try something like a greek yogurt (fat free, twice the protein and SOOOOO yummy!). Swap out the whole milk for 2% or 1%. It may take some getting used to but I find the 1% actually tastes fresher to me.

Lunch time: Hardly any carbs, girl! Your body needs those carbs to feel like it has enough energy. Try doing some multigrain toast or an english muffin with your eggs. Swap out the dried fruit for fresh...some grapes, an apple...a banana?

Dinner: Cut back on the portion size of the ground beef. 4 oz is a serving of protein (roughly the size of a deck of cards)...I'm a die hard cheeseburger fan so i know where you're coming from. Sometimes a lady needs her cheeseburger! Good tip: Use the lowest fat% possible on the ground beef or switch it out for bison. I swear to god it tastes JUST as good and it's much better for you (Safeway usually has it), use a multigrain roll for your bun and 2% cheese.

Hope this helped!
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    at your weight, the calories are probably realistic.

I'm not sure I can contribute much more than what other people have said. So just to reinforce: more fruits & veggies, less sodium, less cheese, better meat choices.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options
    Not really criticism so much as advice..

eat high fiber foods-they keep you full longer. (Fresh/raw fruits, vegetables...whole grains). Also pairing a carb with a protein (ex: Cheese and crackers, peanut butter on apples) will keep you feeling full longer. Avoiding swings in your blood sugar (even if you are not diabetic) will keep you from feeling as hungry.

Drink a glass of water before you eat something. A lot of times we think we're hungry when really we're thirsty. And since I'm guilty of not drinking as much water as I should-some advice is to add something to your water. I use crystal light or ocean spray (low calorie) flavorings for my water-I've increased my water intake DRAMATICALLY since I started doing that.

Hope it was helpful!

Thank you! I've been looking for ways to get more protein! I recently bought sugar-free, caffeine-free sparkling water in a bunch of different flavors, and it's made it a lot easier to drink my water :)

Here's a yummy lunch or light snack for you then:

Lettuce leaf (either iceberg or romaine-whole, not torn up)
    Tomato slices
    Cucumber slices
    Tuna filling (recipe below)

Tuna (I like white albacore myself) 4 oz
    1/2 Tbs dijon or spicy mustard
    1 tsp lemon juice
    lemon pepper to taste.

Fill the lettuce leaf with your veggies and tuna...eat it like a wrap. I ate these all the time when I was studying for my registered dietitian exam. Kept me full and hardly any calories at all!

That actually sounds really yummy! my mom used to make something similar, but instead of lettuce, she used over-processed "baguette" :laugh: I think I'll try this, thank you!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    at your weight, the calories are probably realistic.

I'm not sure I can contribute much more than what other people have said. So just to reinforce: more fruits & veggies, less sodium, less cheese, better meat choices.

Yep -- this about sums it up!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    Options

Here you go. This is one of the TDEE calculators that I use:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Thanks. Mine was 2,533. That doesn't mean I should eat that much every day, does it, 'cause I just don't know if I can :laugh:
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd hypothesize that your BMR is somewhere between 2000-2100. Try maintaining a modest 300-400 calorie deficit and hitting a caloric intake level of 1600-1700 daily.

Edit: You beat me to the punch :)