What the f

Options
2»

Replies

• biologic
    Options
    try changing one thing at a time and see what the effect is. for instance, if you work out 30 minutes try to up it to 45 minutes for a week and see if that has any effect.

make sure you are recording everything properly also. i actually overestimate my calories consumed and underestimate my calories burned in the gym. let's face it, people are way too optimistic with their calories burned and consumed on here.
  • biologic
    Options
    although it is only one week, so don't worry too much about it. changing your habits for the long term is how you will end up where you want to be. a single week shouldn't be a factor in your overall goals.
  • skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1) Are you at the point where you are using a heart rate monitor yet? Try it. If the work is easier, you probably are burning fewer calories than you were before. Make sure you are staying in your target heart rate.
    2) I 100% agree with the comments made about your body transforming from fat to muscle. Take measurements. How do your clothes fit? Are you feeling stronger? Is your strength training routine easier?
    3) If you have been doing pretty much the same routine for a few weeks, try switching it up. Try a different form of cardio, or try doing your routine in a different order than normal, or on different days.
    4) Don't mess too much with cutting your calories unless you have been evaluated by a personal trainer or physician who knows your plan IN DETAIL and can give you safe advice based on that. Too few calories leads to a lower metabolism leads to less effective workouts, water retention, fatigue, dehydration (yes you can be dehydrated and bloated at the same time), poor sleep, and muscle loss.
    5) Make sure the calories you are taking in are in the correct proportions of proteins, fats, carbs, etc. 100 calories of saturated fat is much different than 100 calories of protein in terms of how your body immediately uses, stores, and later burns that fuel.

It sounds like you're on the right track based on what you've said so far, and 1 week isn't enough to judge overall effectiveness. I stress SOUNDS like, because while advice from many sources is good no one here knows enough details about your habits to give you sound advice as to what the problem is, how to fix it, or if there's even a problem at all. But look through points 1-5. I'd concentrate there if I were you. None of the advice above can hurt you, and it's sound basic fitness advice for anyone at any level.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Been there. Killing it with exercise and eating the exact number of calories. Didn't lose a single pound in three weeks. Reading everybody's ideas helped me too. Turns out I have some hormonal/sleep/sugar issues that have to be worked out.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You sure you're eating enough?
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I agree with others who suggest pictures. I'm on a private board and everyone there is doing cardio and counting calories and they are obsessed with the scale. I told them I was going to do my 1/2 marathon training and lift weights and track calories, but eat my burned ones. I am NOT going to weigh myself for 3 weeks, but I took pictures and will compare them. I'm hoping to show them that the scale isn't the end all be all!
  • CgabrielChubRub
    Options
    1) Are you at the point where you are using a heart rate monitor yet? Try it. If the work is easier, you probably are burning fewer calories than you were before. Make sure you are staying in your target heart rate.
    2) I 100% agree with the comments made about your body transforming from fat to muscle. Take measurements. How do your clothes fit? Are you feeling stronger? Is your strength training routine easier?
    3) If you have been doing pretty much the same routine for a few weeks, try switching it up. Try a different form of cardio, or try doing your routine in a different order than normal, or on different days.
    4) Don't mess too much with cutting your calories unless you have been evaluated by a personal trainer or physician who knows your plan IN DETAIL and can give you safe advice based on that. Too few calories leads to a lower metabolism leads to less effective workouts, water retention, fatigue, dehydration (yes you can be dehydrated and bloated at the same time), poor sleep, and muscle loss.
    5) Make sure the calories you are taking in are in the correct proportions of proteins, fats, carbs, etc. 100 calories of saturated fat is much different than 100 calories of protein in terms of how your body immediately uses, stores, and later burns that fuel.

It sounds like you're on the right track based on what you've said so far, and 1 week isn't enough to judge overall effectiveness. I stress SOUNDS like, because while advice from many sources is good no one here knows enough details about your habits to give you sound advice as to what the problem is, how to fix it, or if there's even a problem at all. But look through points 1-5. I'd concentrate there if I were you. None of the advice above can hurt you, and it's sound basic fitness advice for anyone at any level.

i am using a heart rate monitor...the one without the strap tho...which i heard is still pretty good are far as accuracy...i always preach the fat into muscle thing to other ppl in this situation...it's just hard cause i've been dying doing everything right this week...but its only a week...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    it has only been a week, but try lowering your calories even more and working out slightly longer and see what happens.

Without seeing your diary, I can't say for sure, but this sounds like pretty bad advice to me.

no. if he didn't lose weight it is because of a few plausible reasons.

1) he is consuming more calories than he is expending. if this is the case, he won't lose weight, and restricting his calories further and increasing his calories expended will solve this.

2) he is consuming about the same number of calories he is expending. same solution.

3) he's recording his exercise and calorie intake incorrectly, which is still solved by what i suggested. by restricting his calories further he can correct for misreporting his calorie intake (as long as he doesn't fix his input error). by exercising more he can make up for any error in putting in too many calories burned.

if his problem is any of the 3 above (which covers 99% of people's problems with losing weight), then what i suggested will solve it. it doesn't even matter what he's eating.

Or it could simply be water weight due to his muscles retaining water while healing after new/increased exercise which is very common when people first start working out or increasing intensity. I don't think it is necessary to automatically jump to cutting more calories, especially when we don't know how much he is eating. Too few calories can hurt weight loss.

Or he didn't weight himself at the same time of day/after eating, whatever. I can fluctuate 5lbs in the run of a day. Make sure you weight consistantly. Most recommend first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom, before eating.

Heck, if I dont' get enough sleep I go up a pound or two in water weight (I work shiftwork). That doesn't mean I am not losing in the long run.

I do agree you need to measure and weight all your food. I think I read that you use a HRM which would give you a more accurate indication of calories burned, so that is good.

1 week in the grand scheme of things is not long at all. Water retention for a variety of reasons, including the one listed above can mask small losses on the scale. I went 4 weeks without moving on the scale after changing up my workout program (to heavy weights and a meal plan), but lost inches all over in that time. Keep in mind the scale is the least reliable measure of your success.

Here are a couple of good links to consider

This one directly relates to your situation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/199382-why-the-scale-lies?hl=why+the+scale+lies&page=1#posts-2635350

This one is a good one to consider before cutting calories while doing a lot of exercise.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I have a week when I was sure I would lose big and don't lose at all or gain even I check in with myself and my boyfriend who I train with and make sure I'm not slipping. If I'm sure I'm still doing everything I should be I don't go back to the scale for 2 weeks. By then I've lost at least SOMETHING and feel better.

But honestly the very best way to get a good idea of how you're doing is measurements and how you're clothes fit.

The heart rate monitor's without the straps aren't bad. Every once in a while actually take your pulse and see how it lines up.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    what are mad calories??
  • diviana
    diviana Posts: 53
    Options
    Just stick with what you are doing. If it isn't improving, change something up.

I was over 500 lbs at my heaviest. I started very low calorie. Once I started getting stronger and could do more, I had to add in a lot more carbs. That seems counter intuitive, but my body needed more energy. Someone gave me this visual: a pound of fat is about the size of a brick. A pound of muscle is about the size of a pencil. Someone posted 2 pics at the same weight, but you can see a remarkable difference in her muscle tone (nice going, btw).

My circumstances are very different from yours, but changing things up from time to time will keep your body going.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    it has only been a week, but try lowering your calories even more and working out slightly longer and see what happens.
    no, don't lower intake and exercise more! if anything up your intake and exercise slightly less! your body could just be holding onto everything youve got because its not getting enough food to fuel insane workouts and normal body function. It also could just be that your body is retaining water. Is this a big jump in exercise? When you increase your workouts your muscles have a temporary "what the *kitten*!?!?" moment and hold a lot of water while they're repairing themselves. keep with the exercise though because your body will adjust and wont retain water