Can I be addicted?

xoalyssaox
xoalyssaox Posts: 318 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it possible to be addicted to food? If so, how in the world do you get past it, because we need food to survive?

Let me tell you a little bit about my past. I am a recovered anorexic. I used to eat about 300-500 calories a day, and whatever I did it, I would purge. This is called anorexia with bulimic tendencies.

When I was 19, I told my Mom and stopped, then 2 weeks later I got pregnant. Throughout my pregnancy I ate whatever I wanted, whenever, and gained 60 pounds. I lost 30 after delivery, but its been 2 years and still have that extra 30.

I never went back to my eating disorder, because I know I have a son to take care of, and I always put HIM first. However, I think I have become addicted to food.

Every single morning I wake up with the intentions to eat well and stay on my healthy living plan, but every day I fail and over eat, a lot. It's like I cannot control it.

It's weird though, because I used to be in total control. I have tried losing this weight for the past 2 years, but every day I just eat and eat.

I did go to a psychiatrist after I had my son, but she was a complete moron and didn't help me at all. Now I cannot afford one.

Replies

• mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Food issues are very difficult because you can't stop eating. I understand a bit how you feel. I became anorexic when i was in high school, when i graduated i weighed 98 lbs, i'm 5,7". I gained weight after grad. put on 30 lbs by eating everything in sight!! I had no control. I can't tell you how, but somehow I "grew out of it". I still have food/images problems, always will. But i don't obsess about food now as much and i have control over my eating, probably now more than someone who never had food/weight issues.

try finding articles online that seem helpful. maybe print them out so you have them. This will probably be a struggle you will have to learn to manage your own way. I wish you luck.
  • Shadeablue
    Shadeablue Posts: 8 Member
    Alyssa,

Hey, I'm recovering too...It's hard to admit, but it helps when you do. I think you are amazing for being able to do so!

About the being addicted to food. I have found that once you find the strength to pass up the urge to purge or being so strick on your diet that you feel your body wants every food out there. I don't know why that is, but I have the same thing.

It's still hard for me at times, but I'm back on a weightloss track, (I gained 50 pounds or so and not from being pregnant :wink: ) I find that if you only prepare as much food as you need, and not as much food as you want it helps. Don't prepare foods that leave leftovers so that you don't binge, and if you feel the need to snack, grab a veggie :)

:heart: Londa
  • verykristin
    verykristin Posts: 40
    You would benefit from the support of an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. You'd be able to deal with control issues, the anorexia and bulemia, and learn to think about food in a healthier way. Not to mention that meetings are free and you'll make some great, understanding friends in the process.

I think you are ahead of the game, because you know the help you need is psychological, not a quick-fix diet. Best of luck to you. I have anorexia in my family and can sympathize with you.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]216914.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    First, let me stress that I am not a doctor and not an expert on eating disorders.... so take my post for what it's worth.

My understanding of anorexia and bulimia is that they generally happen due to the afflicted person's need to feel in control of something. I've also read that it is generally a cover up for insecurities and a lack of self-worth (I think all women tend to suffer from that). Anorexia/Bulimia in fact, is pretty similar to being obese - all of them are eating disorders caused by the same thing. I think the first thing that you need to do is to determine what it is in your life that you feel you don't have control over. Having been a young, single mom - I know that there is a LOT that feels out of control. Next you need to come up with a game plan to GET control or come to grips with your lack of control. Perhaps it's finances, your son's father, your living arrangement, your job, your car... it could be any number of things... and it could be a lot of things. Make lists... make plans. Talk to people who are in a position to help you. Use your support networks that you already have in place and expand them - talk to your pastor, a credit counselor, a doctor, family, etc.

I commend you for putting your son first. But, from one mom to another let me share with you the best advice that I was EVER given... "You cannot be the BEST mom possible if you don't take care of YOU first." That means eating RIGHT - the right amounts, the right things at the right times... you're modeling behavior for him and taking care of you so that you can take care of him. That means exercising and playing - teaching him from an early age that exercise is fun and that it's important to take care of ourselves. That means taking care of yourself mentally and spiritually... take time for you, take time to have fun with other adults, take time to have "you" time.

No matter how many times you make a wrong choice by eating something that's not healthy... start over. Don't wait for tomorrow... do it today. PLAN... plan for the craving for something sweet -what will you have? How about something salty - what will you choose? Plan for success. My son's football coach tells them, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - there's a lot of truth to that. Plan to succeed and make sure that you have the tools at your fingertips that you need.

((((((((Big Hugs)))))))))) to you - take care of you and I'm here for support if you need it!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    I think many times when people have an issue with overeating, whether it be emotional or not, it stems from something going on in your brain or with an imbalance in hormones. A friend of mine went through this after having her son and they say it can take up to a year after you quit breast feeding for your hormones to go back to normal. She quit breast feeding 5 months ago and now that her hormones are adjusting she is losing weight and not having such an intense urge to eat. You may want to see a doctor who specializes in women's health.

It's much easier to screw up hormones than a lot of people think... birth control, effects of pregnancy, too much soy in your diet, too much stress...I hope this helps!

Remember there is nothing wrong with you as a person and it is something a doctor could help you with.
  • I have been through the exact same thing. I agree with the planning. Plan everything and when you mess up and over eat, figure out what caused it. Don't be hard on yourself. Just think of other ways to deal with that stressor. I also went to a Doctor about it and he taught me breathing exercises and other things to deal with it.

Good luck. Just remember it will not all come in one day it takes time.:flowerforyou:
  • bakergirl62
    bakergirl62 Posts: 248 Member
    Alyssa

You might not be aware that your situation is so familiar to many women. I too have recovered from anorexia (14 years now). Mine lasted for about fifteen years. The only time I was healthy was when I was pregnant. I weight about 88 lbs at the time and when I delivered my 10 lb baby, I weighed 182. My "EX" husband couldn't accept my gaining one pound and signed me up for a gym membership and followed me in his own vehicle to make sure I went in and worked off the fat. That's why he's my ex.

My husband now of 14 years is at the other end of the spectrim. He loves the person I am no matter my size and believe me when I say I have yo-yoed up and down 30 pounds ever since. Eating for me can be a real challenge. There are times a real genuine panic sets in that I can easily fall back into that awful cycle. If I eat too much at one time, I have the "the urge" so I have to eat real slow. I find that eating small "meals or snacks" throughout the day helps keep me in control. I plan every morning for every single thing that hits my lips. I don't deviate from what is "written" because for me that is law.

This is my second week and I have lost 2 inches around my hips and 2 around my waist but I have only lost 5 lbs. I'M PUMPED!
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    I agree with planning what you'll eat as well. I'm a recovering compulsive eater. Just eating and eating and eating, regardless of whether I was happy or sad, hungry or full.

This past month [since I joined MFP] is the first time that I can remember that I haven't obsessed about food. I've concentrated on eating "clean" - no added sugar or white flour and very little processed food. I've found that starting my day with more protein keeps me from experiencing the awful cravings and hunger I had before. I do plan everything out.... and I log it before I eat it - which keeps me from making bad choices. I plan to eat something every 2 -3 hours, [a protein and a carb] which allows me to stay satisfied and not feel deprived whatsoever. Planning has kept me from eating compulsively.

Consider the quality of the food you're eating... make sure it's good, whole food - and plan for it.

Best of everything to you.....
This discussion has been closed.