Heart Rate Monitor

Options
How necessary is this tool? What is a good brand to buy?

Replies

• EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I want to hear these responses too. I was thinking the same thing.
  • flamegirl72
    flamegirl72 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's only necessary if a true number of exercise calories burnt is important for you to know accurately. The calories burnt for an exercise in the MFP database, or on the equipment at the gym are estimates at best. Some will be close, some will be way off. It was driving me crazy not to know the true number I was burning so for me the heart rate monitor was a must. I just got a Polar FT7 and I love it.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goals are but to be more accurate in your calories burned while exercising I would say that a heart rate monitor is going to be better for that. Many of the machines either over estimate or underestimate. Same goes for entering exercises on MFP. I have a polar F4 and have had it for 3 years now, works like a charm and hasn't needed to be replaced in any way (including battery).
  • 4lelito
    4lelito Posts: 90
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I have some shopping to do :) I go off of the calorie estimator when i do aerobics on the wii but i don't think it's accurate
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM - the battery went out in the chest strap last week and I had to do one workout without it. I felt naked and ill-equipped to accurately log my workout! LOL I have a New Balance N4 & I love it. It has the strap and the watch, lets me enter my personal info, tracks workout time, calories burned, max heart rate, time in my heart rate zone, etc. Mostly I just use to track workout time and calories burned.

Lots of stores have them on sale now because of the January fitness craze with all the resolutions and all. Or check online, usually the prices there are lower.