How many calories does a 13yr old boy need each day

Options

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on healthy food choices as well as serving sizes. My weight problems started when I was very young, and most of my issues were from eating too big of portions. My mom always cooked and we ate out very rarely, but I always had seconds and ate big portions.

This is one thing that I work on teaching my normal weight 5-year-old daughter. When she finishes something that tastes really good to her and asks for more, I am trying to teach her that just because it tastes really good, we don't need to eat more unless our stomachs are still hungry.

I actually flipped out on my ex because he was buying her not only a happy meal at McDonalds, but an extra cheeseburger as well. There is just no need for a 5-year-old to eat two cheeseburgers for dinner. We are on the same page now, and we both try to limit the fast food to once a week or so. She really doesn't get sweets at my house, because I don't want them around, so she gets them a few times at his house.

I think it's more important to talk about the health effects of certain foods, but to also learn to eat proper portion sizes, even of healthy foods. I don't buy unhealthy snacks, but I do keep a variety of healthy snacks (individual pkg of peanuts, kids Cliff Bars, individual packs of Goldfish) on the "snack shelf" in the pantry and fresh fruit in the fridge so she can help herself when she is hungry, but I also try to limit the "boredom snacking" if I notice her doing it.

I never want my child to have to struggle with weight the way that I have, but I also don't want her to become too body- or weight-conscious and lean the other way either. I really try to focus on health as much as possible, and remember that I am the grown-up, so I control what comes into my house and what my daughter ultimately eats.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Thank you x
    I just feel like i want to cry
    I weighed him today and didn't realise he was so heavy :(:frown: :frown:

I luv him so much

This statement makes me think you don't have to worry about him. If he is one of the lucky ones who is higher in muscle then average, he won't appear as heavy as he is because of the muscle mass. Muscle is a good thing! Not sure about your PE program where you are, but here we teach weight training as part of the curriculum so he could very well have some muscle mass from that type of training. Also, since he is taking martial arts, I know he's doing some serious fat burning and body weight resistance training. If he has a rounded belly and obvious body fat all over, then I'd suggest increasing his days per week in martial arts first before changing diet. The only real changes to diet I would recommend would be to not keep pre-packaged junk foods in the house so that he is having to eat more whole foods and fruits and veggies for snacks. Also remember that he hasn't hit his growth spurt height wise yet (usually happens the first couple of years of high school) so he could very well appear to suddenly lose a lot of weight when he actually hasn't because of his height and weight balancing out after a growth spurt.
  • You can make sweet potato fries as a healthy delicious snack. They also sell "Banana babies" which is a frozen banana covered in chocolate treat...it's in popsicle section at the grocery store.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Thank you x
    I just feel like i want to cry
    I weighed him today and didn't realise he was so heavy :(:frown: :frown:

I luv him so much

This statement makes me think you don't have to worry about him. If he is one of the lucky ones who is higher in muscle then average, he won't appear as heavy as he is because of the muscle mass. Muscle is a good thing! Not sure about your PE program where you are, but here we teach weight training as part of the curriculum so he could very well have some muscle mass from that type of training. Also, since he is taking martial arts, I know he's doing some serious fat burning and body weight resistance training. If he has a rounded belly and obvious body fat all over, then I'd suggest increasing his days per week in martial arts first before changing diet. The only real changes to diet I would recommend would be to not keep pre-packaged junk foods in the house so that he is having to eat more whole foods and fruits and veggies for snacks. Also remember that he hasn't hit his growth spurt height wise yet (usually happens the first couple of years of high school) so he could very well appear to suddenly lose a lot of weight when he actually hasn't because of his height and weight balancing out after a growth spurt.

This! My son got chubby around this age, then hit his growth spurt and that was that. I think of course, we should always be cognizant of our children's health but I think maybe we are starting to overreact a little to fluctuations in weight, when the fact is that a lot of kids grow out right before they grow up. :smile:
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have two 13yo kids. Actually, my son I'm not too concerned about, he balances good food choices with good exercise. But I am concerned with my daughter. She has always been very thin but all off a sudden she's got a butt and thighs. I know puberty has a lot to do with it but I'm still concerned, I don't want her to have the same weight issues I have.
    Like you, most of our meals are healthy, homemade meals. One thing I do is limit portion sizes. Of course they get enough to eat but I pay attention. Are they taking seconds because they are still hungry or do they just want to eat more because it's yummy?
    You say your son is a computerhead and you've started limiting that time. Could he earn more time if he goes out and does something active? Just a thought.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My son was 175 pounds when he was 11 and about 5'7". He is now almost 14 and weighs about the same, but is 6' tall now. Like your son, he is a very picky eater. However, he has always played baseball and has played soccer for the past couple of years. I think staying active is a major key.
  • auntie_missy
    auntie_missy Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Calorie recommendations for a boy, sedentary lifestyle, age 9-13 is 1800, age 14-18 is 2200. Add 0-200 calories for moderately active lifestyle. It's a common activity in health classes for kids that age to log a typical day, so you aren't going to scar him for life if you log a few days and see if he is eating the recommended number of calories and looking for trends such as servings of dairy, sodium, etc. and you just might create an opportunity to teach him a bit about making healthy food choices.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    How about getting him a Kinect and free access to any Kinect game (thats the one that you have to move your body to do the games) but strict limits on the pc or other gaming system.
  • lu136mickey
    Options
    If he likes being on the computer and video games, for every hour of it make him get out and play or ride a bike, exercise, play basketball,catch, whatever just get him moving!! My son is 14 and overweight also but is now logging his meals and exercise on a website and has been steadily losing weight but he also joined football so he works out at school everyday so I guess it is the combo of being aware of what he is eating and more exercise that is working, and the website will let him know if he is over or under the the daily limit for his age weight and height or weight loss goal,I will have to ask him what the website is can't think of the web address but will post later.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Clean diet with minimal processed foods and sugars.
  • CBM23
    CBM23 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have this concern about my little brother. He is visibly very overweight, carries all of it in his stomach and hes only 9.
    For breakfast the other day, he had garlic break, pizza, blueberrys and pancakes, then he ate again 2 hours later! It drives me insane that my mom lets him and that I cant do anything about it.
    If I were you, I would load up on fruits and low calorie snacks for him to munch on, and stop buying most junk food (its not helping him in his development anyway so there's no need to waste money on it), he will eat something healthy if he gets hungry enough. And a possible idea for more activity is he has to spend as much time outside and he does on the computer, he spends an hour on the computer, he has to go for an hour long walk, bike ride, playing baseball, etc.. A guy on the doctors does it with his son and he said it works well, you could also half that time if you dont want to push him too hard (ie: half hour out for every hour on the computer). I would also try to (subtlety) educate him about how calories work and how much really are in the foods he eats, I know I had no idea how much calories some of my favorite (and seemingly healthy) foods had in them, before I started looking them up.
    Good luck!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I think it's healthier for kids, especially boys to eat too much than too little, BUT it should be healthy. I'd worry (general statement) about an overload on junk food (though my cousin seems to have turned out fine while being an irritatingly picky eater and eating few to no fruits and vegetables), and I really think encouraging him to be a less picky eater is a good thing (for so many reasons, social, physical, psychological...). Other than that I say don't worry about it. Kids need the calories to grow and develop properly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Don't forget your excellent example in trying to make healthy changes too.

Make sure to play up your accomplishments, not to nag him, but just making sure he is very aware of the smart choices you are making, hearing the why you are doing it, how, ect.

Then just making sure he has available the same wise stuff to eat and do.
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a picky eater too, and she is like her daddy when it comes to food... if it taste good she will keep eating! I make sure there are plenty of appropriate snack options in the house (cheese, fruit, 100 cal granola bars, apple sauce, ect...) 90% of the time there isn't a junk food option so if she wants a snack she has to eat whats available - period. On school days they get one snack after school before dinner and one snack/dessert after dinner - on non-school days they get a morning snack too. I also cook most meals (usually 5 days a week) and I plate the food for the kid so they get appropriate serving sizes. If they want more, or seconds, of a preferred item, they have to eat all of what I gave them first (veggies included!). I also have been talking to my oldest about serving sizes (she's 11) - if there is a junk food item in the house (chips, cookies, icecream) she can have it for dessert but she has to have an appropriate serving. I also try to involve the kids in my exercise - I take them hiking, we walk the dog together, ect... Good luck!
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    I'm absolutely astounded at the response from EVERYBODY! :heart: :flowerforyou: :love:

Thank you so much for your advice and tips and general understanding.

Sometimes in life you know what you've got to do subconsciously, BUT you need people to tell you as it is.

I've talked to him today about starting a food diary with me and he said "mmm ok mum, i guess" I won't concentrate on the calories just the food quality like you guys said. But I don't want to give him a complex also.

FOOD: And I've talked to the hubby about removing crisps (that's chips to our american friends!), having no cookies or cake in the house.
    And we are thinking about locking the bread away for the time being as he's a massive toast and marmite eater.

He loves my oven baked chicken, so I'm going to put that in a tortilla wrap in his lunch box with a piece of fruit (may try different ones now and then even if I think he might not like them), small piece of low fat cheese like a babybel light and a low fat yoghurt with no bits (I wish he's eat the ones with bits in though it'd make my life easier) and perhaps a cereal bar for his mid-morning snack. He only drinks water at school so that's a bonus.

EXERCISE: This will be 1 hour of self defence/martial arts per week, 2 sessions of P.E. at school, 1 hour of the junior gym per week and he gets a bus to school then walks the rest of the way (10-12min walk) twice a day.
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    This statement makes me think you don't have to worry about him. If he is one of the lucky ones who is higher in muscle then average, he won't appear as heavy as he is because of the muscle mass. Muscle is a good thing!

He is what we call "sturdy and solid" in our house. He's not blubbery so to speak, he's got broad shoulders and you can tell if he worked at it he could lose the fat and have a lot of muscle to show. His belly is defintly the biggest issue, he's a 35 inch waist, so getting trousers to fit is a living nightmare! :grumble:

Right I'm off to tesco's now, wish me luck in getting some healthy snacks. :happy:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    remember that boys that age grow in a somewhat peculiar pattern. They kind of grow sideways, then shoot up, and that cycle is repeated a few times.

If you're reasonably confident he's eating plenty of veg, getting some exercise most days, and not eating too much sugar or fried food, it's possible that this is what's going on.

My little girl is going through this process. About two months ago, she had the slightest of bellies on her. Now she's 2 inches taller, and not an ounce of extra fat on her!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have 5 kids - all boys - all fit and totally healthy,

They eat nothing but healthy foods except for our "free day".
    And I make them all do exercise - daily.
    Push-ups
    Pull- Ups
    Sit-Ups
    Knee Bends
    And Running

As a parent, I am in control, and once they get out on their own, their health is all on them.
    Until then, it's a no brainer.
    They eat what I say they eat, and that's it.

And the fruit of this philosophy are fit kids who excel in everything. We don't have any issues with fatness.
    Do they complain? Yes! Do I totally ignore their sniveling? You bet!

And sometimes I'll ask, "Do you want to end up looking like (INSERT FAT FRIEND'S NAME)?
    That usually shuts them right up.

No kid really wants to be fat.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    He goes to a class once a week where he learns different martial arts and self defence. He does P.E twice a week.
    And i was looking into a local gym they have for kids.
    He hates sports of any kind.

But apart from that he's a massive computer head. I did put a pc timer on to limit the time (which didn't go well :laugh: )

It's so hard cos there is virtually no motivation from his side, he just see's me as nagging him.

I wonder if there are any mums on here that have the same problem as me, perhaps we can share tips.

Maybe have him go to more martial arts classes a week?
  • Bet_Lynch
    Options
    I have 5 kids - all boys - all fit and totally healthy,

They eat nothing but healthy foods except for our "free day".
    And I make them all do exercise - daily.
    Push-ups
    Pull- Ups
    Sit-Ups
    Knee Bends
    And Running

As a parent, I am in control, and once they get out on their own, their health is all on them.
    Until then, it's a no brainer.
    They eat what I say they eat, and that's it.

And the fruit of this philosophy are fit kids who excel in everything. We don't have any issues with fatness.
    Do they complain? Yes! Do I totally ignore their sniveling? You bet!

And sometimes I'll ask, "Do you want to end up looking like (INSERT FAT FRIEND'S NAME)?
    That usually shuts them right up.

No kid really wants to be fat.

Woah you're the original boot camp dad aren't you!!