Has anyone found ther weight creeping back up when they star

Options
I feel like i lose more if i don't exercise. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but it makes me not want to go to the gym at all.
I lost almost 5lbs the first week without exercise. Then i went to the gym and gained like 1lb. I'm still eating right so i should still be losing some.

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to hear, but numbers really don't mean anything. Clothes size should be your gauge to how well you're doing!

I say this from experience. I weighed 125lbs at 5ft6 and was a UK size 14, I was wobbly and unhappy that I still had fat bits at a BMI of 20! I started going to the gym, ended up having to eat an extra 600 cals a day to keep me going through the exercise, gained about 7lbs and lost two dress sizes! I lost my muffin top hips, my jelly belly and gained great definition! My skin was glowing, hair shining.. literally couldn't recommend getting yourself moving any more! Forget those scales and work hard on muscle definition and fitness!
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It takes serious dedication and training to be able to put on any significant amount of muscle, and rarely can you do enough in 1 week to make an impact on your weigh in.

Sometimes people slow down their weight loss because when they workout they get hungrier, but eat more than the calories they burned.

Exercise is important for general health, not just weight loss and is something you should be doing whether or not you want to lose weight. If you hate the gym, do something else! Walk, dance, bike, swim. Do what works for you.

Good luck!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I had the same results, I lost 4-5 pounds the first week, just dieting. Second week I started working out and didn't lose anything. Third week(now) I lost 4 lbs this week.

I changed it up and decided I wanted 1200 calories per day(I was told by the doctor to be within 1200-1400 calories for those saying that is too low for a man). I started eating about 1600 calories per day and going to the gym and only burning the required amount to get me to 1200 calories. It works better this way and if I do go over...I just spend more time at the gym that day.

I can't see your diary but you might be working out to much and not eating enough to hit your goal, over or under your goal will affect your weight loss.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to hear, but numbers really don't mean anything. Clothes size should be your gauge to how well you're doing!

I agree. After starting to do pilates multiple times a week I went down one pants size but lost ZERO pounds. At some point you need to back away from the scale and look at measurements and how your clothes fit. Easier said than done, as I am currently trying to break my scale addiction!
  • mejustsmaller316
    mejustsmaller316 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am trying my hardest to not weigh myself till next thursday ;)
  • biologic
    Options
    that doesn't make sense. no one cares what you weigh. people care what you look like. use a tape measure to take your measurements and forget how much you weigh.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You're measuring your success in probably the WORST way EVER. Scale numbers mean NOTHING.

I'm female, 5'3", and when I started working, I weighed 210ish and wore a size 18 - 20...Picture a short, round apple -- that was me. Four months after starting a workout routine, I weighed in at 190 lbs and was wearing a size 10 - 12. That's only 20 lbs difference, however -- the many other times I was in the 190lb weight range, I was wearing solid 16s -- nowhere NEAR a 10. For me to get to a size 10, I would have normally weighed in around 155.

If you were to drop 20 lbs of fat with your current non-exercise regime, you might drop a pant size...not several.

My advice is to use the scale sparingly -- maybe once a month. Measurements are everything when your desire is to shrink.

Believe it or not, you will one day LOVE to exercise -- this coming from a girl who skipped gym class all the time because I hated everything about it. Find something you love and keep doing it. Eventually, you'll notice how much better you feel when you work out consistently and you'll start to crave it. Then you'll branch out and want to try everything.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When you start exercising, you cause small tears in your muscles. They heal, and that whole process is how you get stronger. During the healing process your muscles store water and glycogen. That's typically where the weight increase is from when someone starts a new exercise program. As mentioned, there is almost no way to put on a significant amount of muscle mass in a short period, and on a calorie deficit.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I feel like i lose more if i don't exercise. I know muscle weighs more than fat, but it makes me not want to go to the gym at all.
    I lost almost 5lbs the first week without exercise. Then i went to the gym and gained like 1lb. I'm still eating right so i should still be losing some.

The reason for this "gain" has been discussed above...I would just take it another way.

Exercise does more than help you lose weight. It strengthens your heart and muscles, increases your aerobic capacity and endurance, strengthens your muscles, moderates your hormonal secretions affecting moods and sleep patterns...and so much more. Wouldn't you want to exercise just to get those benefits as well?

Skinny people with low body weights can also be afflicted with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. if they don't exercise...

You can lose weight on the scale with diet alone. But you can't reshape your body without exercise. And then there's the above benefits as well.

I take this whole journey for better health...not just a better number on the scale.