Snack ideas?

Options
I'll admit it, I'm a snacker. I need some healthy snack ideas beside the obvious fruit and veggies. Sweets aren't really my crux, it's the chips/tortilla chips/popcorn type stuff I really love. I've been trying dry cereal - which is good, low fat and calories, but loaded with carbs. Any ideas?

Replies

• beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've just been eating lower fat/calorie options, such as wotsits or walkers sunbites. No good if you're on a cleanse, but I'm afraid there are some things I can't cut corners on, and it seems to be working for me :)
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Nuts!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Popcorn really isn't too bad, if you aren't loading it up with butter and salt. You can have quite a filling portion for 100 calories!
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Nuts is a great idea...just be careful on the caloric intake. I like string cheese and pretzels...
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    walkers sunbites - sooo yummy
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    For the cereals use the high fiber options. Also yogurt.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Snacking can get you into trouble :)

Id focus on trying out larger meals that keep you satisfied enough not to snack in between.

But of course if it fits your macros you can snack all day if you like.
  • Sandra82874
    Options
    Have you tried crackers and cheese. I am also a snacker and I look it up this morning and they are low in carbs
  • bdubsindc
    Options
    I mix cottage cheese and applesauce. It's yummy and filling!
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Oh and I suggest a couple Triscuits w/ hummus; sugar-free Swiss Miss hot cocoa (25 calories per packet!) is good on a cold day; Special K cracker chips w/ salsa
  • kaeroo
    kaeroo Posts: 5
    Options
    make fruit/vegetable chips. hard to find them in stores in my area, so i make my own. I've done apple chips, banana chips, sweet potato chips, etc. yes, it's only dried fruits/veggies, but it satisfies my cravings for something crunchy. (to me, it doesn't hafta be salty, as long as it's crunchy.
    you can buy a food dehydrator or do it in the oven. look online and you can find the directions. :)
    HTH
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    whole grain tortilla chips with salsa (portion it out; don't just dig into the bag)

cottage cheese (which I personally like with tomatoes, pepper, and celery salt)

cheese sticks (80-90 calories)

hummus with pita chips or whole grain crackers or veggies

Greek yogurt (My fave is Chobani's black cherry.)

apple or celery with natural pb

homemade granola...can be customized for what you like

protein shake

nuts with a few chocolate chips and dried fruit (a little high on cals though)
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I forgot kale chips.

As far as snacking goes, if you're in the mindset of eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, snacking is a must. I've lost 100 pounds and eat 4-5 times a day on average. Just saying...
  • cajmanthei
    cajmanthei Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries - right from the package - one at a time.
  • tinylovelygorgeous
    Options
    my favorite lately for salty snacks:
    -crisp bread (Knäckebrot, 22cals per piece), maybe with tomato juice (40cals for 250ml)
    -or try eating pickles
  • johnaird123
    johnaird123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A couple of people have said nuts. But be careful with those as they do have a lot of fat (albeit good natural fats) so you don't really get a lot for your calories. They do also have a good amount of protein and little carbs which is good though.

To give you an idea of how many calories you can have in a small amount of nuts I make up small 40g bags consisting of 5g pumpkin seeds, 5g sunflower seeds and 30g of unsalted mixed nuts. This comes to about 220 kcals. You may think 40g of nuts/seeds is a lot but in the bag it only fits to about the size of a golf ball.
  • nikolai88
    Options
    Toasted Wholegrain Pitta bread cut up and dipped in humous. Either that or chopped up carrots and pepers (or other nomy raw veg) also dipped in humous! Almost like tortilla chips but much better!
  • bakrgirl74
    Options
    Most of these items have already been listed, but, Almonds, cottage cheese, yogurt, applesauce, frozen fruits. hummus, homemade tortilla chips, dill pickles (I love the baby dills), lunch meat with sliced cheese. Also, I keep cooked chicken breasts in the fridge, and if need be, I grab a half and eat it on the go...

My favorite take red seedless grapes or green grapes. wash, put your favorite flavor of sugar free jello in a big zip lock bag, put grapes in (taken off the stem) shake bag then freeze. These are so good, they satisfy my sweet tooth, and arent bad calorie wise. My kids eat them like candy...
  • sarasashas
    sarasashas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love olives, they just need a couple to satisfy my salt cravings