Protein Vs. Calorie Limit

Options
2»

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Oh, you might find this useful from the Australian institute of sport (where Australia's olympic athletes train and also where sports dietitians become accredited).

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much

Remember that it is grams per kg not per pound.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Totally not-an-expert-in-any-way-shape-or-form, but... I have to think that as long as you're doing the right things nutritionally 80% of the time, going under your protein or over your calories every once in a while isn't gong to make any kind of difference. Fluke days when the numbers just don't come together happen. Your body is resilient enough to handle it.

I mean... you could have a 48 hour stomach flu and not be able to keep any food down at all, and you might feel weak for a few days after, but you'd bounce right back. So I just can't see how one day of not getting as much protein is going to hamper your progress.
  • apowell13
    Options
    I try to intake 130 to 140 grams of protein a day. I started heavy weight lifting 3 months ago. I have the same issue with calories and protein. What I have found to work the best I get from GNC called New Whey Protein liquid shot. It has 42 grams of protein for 180 calories. Its not the best tasting, but it serves its purpose. Also there is anohter brand called carnivor liquid protein shot. It has 50 grams of protein for 200 calories. Its taste is worse than the New Whey, but its only a couple of oz and if you drink it fast enough the taste doesn't last that long. On the days I don't get my full amount of protein I just take a look at what I have consumed for the day and make a judgement call from there. The days I don't workout I like to have a min of 100 grams of protein and the days I do lift I make sure I have at least 130 grams of protein. Muscles don't grow without protein and as long as your not going over your calories on a regular basis, once and a while won't hurt.