Does anyone admit to cheating?

Options
Goes anyone 'manipulate' their diary, not to fool themselves but so it looks better on MFP?

Replies

• beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have considered it before, but I figure it will only show anyway in my results! :/
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I would rather have supportive friends on here that will see what I have eaten and question my reasons for doing so.

I don't feel I can be supportive to other people if I am manipulating my food diary so that other people like what they see.

If I eat badly then so be it - i'm hoping that it makes me learn from my mistakes :smile:
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    No, and I have had some friends seriously call me out. I don't mind though, I want supportive friends who will be on top of me and remind me why I am doing this. Last night we went out drinking though and ate a ton of crap for the Bronco game and I stopping logging- I know I went over and am not even sure what all I ate
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    really? to impress strangers? why?
  • rosecook425
    rosecook425 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    nah what is the point. If I go over for the day why not own up to it.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think I do the opposite, if I'm guessing how much I ate (like if I was out at a restaurant) I always try to overestimate what I had, or choose the MFP food with the highest calories. If I don't measure portions out exactly, then I try to overestimate.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Nope, and my diary is private. But I want to be accountable for my choices, so I am honest with myself.
  • lenaxox
    lenaxox Posts: 27
    Options
    i would say yes i do. i dont add condiments alot, and i just guess on how much coffee creamer i use....stuff like that.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Heck no- I want to lose weight. I am the only one who will suffer if I do this! Isn't the reason to have people viewing your stats to make you "accountable"? Which you should be regardless if you're truly serious about losing weight!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    No I just keep my Diary private, I think that's what a diary is all about. You would not print you private journal, would you. I add everything so I can see when I'm starting to go down hill. It helps keep me on track.
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    nah what is the point. If I go over for the day why not own up to it.

Exactly. And who doesn't go over once in a while? A plan that is to inflexible is not going to stick!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Goes anyone 'manipulate' their diary, not to fool themselves but so it looks better on MFP?
    I sometimes can't find what I am looking for on some dishes I cook, and just guess, adding something in the database that looks close to what I am eating.

At the end of the day outright cheating will do what cheating does.
    It will manifest in failure to reach goals.

And then some will look for acknowledgement and validity against the gods of weight loss.
    "I'm doing everything I can but don't see results"...lol
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think I do the opposite, if I'm guessing how much I ate (like if I was out at a restaurant) I always try to overestimate what I had, or choose the MFP food with the highest calories. If I don't measure portions out exactly, then I try to overestimate.

This is me too... I choose the highest calorie option if i'm not sure! :smile:
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day - you are the only one you are cheating!
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    I'm honest on my food diary. I also keep it private. This is my own thing and I'm doing it by myself. I am here mostly for the tracking food thing to keep track of certain things. I comment now and again on the forums, but have gone for long periods without too. No point in lying on the tracking thing. Calories are not everything. There's a lot more to this than calories, so becoming obsessed with calories seems counter productive to me.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Since joining MFP, I have not cheated on my food journal because I know its only going to hurt me in the end and it will show up on the scale. Usually for each meal I always add on an extra 50 calories just in case I took an extra bite or something...just to keep myself as honest as possible.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    No manipulation here... I put on yesterday that I had Taco Bell tacos (a no-no for me). It's for ME to see MY progress or lack thereof... it's so I can stay accountable and I am not doing that if the data is incorrect. :) I make it viewable for friends, so they 1) can help if ever I run into a stumbling block, 2) so they see we are ALL human and no one can stay 100% on plan 100% of the time, and 3) so I can try to figure what the scale and my body will say for a week :)
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    The accountability in my food diary and having my "friends" look at it is a fundamental reason for my success so far. Sometimes the foods aren't placed in the right categories, but I try to include everything. (okay, don't always remember to add that mustard, etc.) I just don't know why you would waste your time here, if you're not trying to manage it as honestly as possible.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Nope. What's the point of lying to YOURSELF?

Besides, I see the proof of keeping to just under my alotted calories when I do it for several days in a row ... I've been losing 2-3 lbs a week!

Be honest with yourself on your food diary and you can see your slip ups, habitual snacking problems, friends that perhaps you shouldn't eat with, and other important patterns that will hamper your progress.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I thought about it this morning (seriously) and then I entered the bad food I binged on before bed. I am slowly starting here and going to be 100% honest with myself, no matter how ugly it is.

I am soon to be 47 and I have long term goals I have set by the time I reach 50. I can't do that if I lie to myself.