I dont know how to set clear concise goals

Options
I know the importance of goal-setting. I do. And believe me, I want to set goals. But I can't, for the life of me, even figure out goals to set! I tried numerous times to set weight loss goals (i.e., when I reach 145 lbs, 143 lbs, etc) and even inches lost goals but they don't motivate me the way they should. I've also tried setting fitness milestone goals (like "do a pullup") but, again, doesn't motivate me. I don't know where to go from here!

Replies

• mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What motivates you to keep going? Using whatever that is, base goals/rewards on that.
    Looks like you are just about at 10 lbs lost, how about when you reach your milestone of 10 lbs lost treat yourself to a night out with friends/bf/spouse/partner, whatever. Go bowling, or minigolfing or somewhere where you really enjoy.

Your rewards don't necessarily have to be tangible. But then again, do whatever it is that motivates you.

Make small achievable goals. Like working out X amount of times this week. Or eating a salad X amount of times a week. For short term goals your reward will be your satisfaction of achieving those goals. You can reward yourself with the milestone goals... does that make sense?

My Husband challenged me last week. If I lose 25 lbs by Easter, he will take me shopping! He set a price point, and we negotiated an additional amount for each lb lost over 25. That's a somewhat long term goal. My weekly goals right now are just to stay motivated, as this is something I have had troubles with in the past.
    I try not to look at my overall long term goal of getting down to 145, because it is overwhelming and I doubt myself (I know, bad attitude), that is why I try to focus on the shorter term goals!

I hope this helps! Good luck to you
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're not alone Chantelle...It's really hard to do and it's constant work to "keep it going". First thing I would do is read up on all the tried and true steps for goal setting. You know you should make specific concrete goals (the 'what' that's measurable, by a certain time frame (the 'when'). But re: your motivation...think of an outfit you want to fit in....VISUALIZE. Maybe put a picture on your fridge of how you want to look? Put a picture of an image that is an inspiration for you. There are so many 'tricks' but make them MEANINGFUL to you. We all get demotivated, or feel like giving up, or what's the point. This is really our challenge....it's a mental one, where we are sometimes fighting with the words we say in our mind. We need to FOCUS. Every time you get demotivated, you have to dig down deep inside and shake it off, and move out of that space in your head.....distract yourself, anything! Then FOCUS again...focus on WHY you are doing this. Focus on the MEANING of your goal. Focus on sticking to it. It's a mental game... Read up on it on the internet, get some books. Find an inspirational figure... Don't let yourself stay in a negative mode...Find your FOCUS....Because you have to believe that you are WORTH it. It's hard work, but being on MFP is amazing for support... I just joined last week, and the people here are amazing.!! So supportive and lots of info. Keep wanting to help yourself, and do the work, and your friends on here can help to support where they can... We only have ourselves. Small goals. One day at a time. FOCUS. Start saying only good and positive things to yourself.... And you have what it takes to do this!

Good luck hun!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    fitting into certain clothes? try them on once a week.