mac and cheese fiend...

Options

Replies

• whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    i LOVE macaroni and cheese, but know it is SUPER unhealthy! any healthier ideas/recipes?

i do too and i found the green giant mac and cheese with broccolli really yummy i cnt member the calories but i believe in between 150-250 ish
  • neversettle
    neversettle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i will use lowat cheeses, milk, or swap it out for vegan cheese. i will put in pato sauce for extra flavor instead of more cheese. you can mix in veggies like brocolli, zucchini, califlower, zucchini flowers, etc.... so you dont eat so much pasta . definitely use whole wheat pastas.

2 tbsp whole wheat flour
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 cup soy milk/low fat milk/ rice milk/ almond milk unsweetened
    1 - 2 cups low fat shredded cheese/vegan cheese
    1 box whole wheat pasta
    1 cup brocolli florettes
    1 tsp cayenne
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp ground mustard

heat oil and whisk in flour until flour is cooked for about a minute, whisk in milk. stir in cheese, spices and broccolli. mix in cooked pasta and eat!!

its pretty easy...you can bake it...but i like mine stove top. usually to that i will a add in lots of cayenne, maybe some beer for added flavor, you can use light beer, or a can of pato sauce.
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    to make me feel a little better i eat the kraft mac n cheese but switched to the whole wheat one. it tastes just as good. ( i dont know how to cook home made)
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I will be the first to admit - I LOVE Velveeta Shells and Cheese. Normally I stay away from processed stuff as much as possible, but I will always have a place in my heart for this creamy, dreamy concoction. My trick is to add things to the dish to make it more nutritious. Stirring in extra ingredients can also stretch one box to make more servings, thus decreasing the calories/sodium/fat of the mac & cheese itself.

Mix-in Ideas:

tuna and peas
    chili (homemade or low-sodium canned)
    broccoli and cubed chicken breast (or turkey)
    lean ground turkey (or beef) and diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning
    lean ground turkey (or beef), beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have added broccoli to my wheat mac n cheese
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    I make homemade mac and cheese from scratch and you can sub ingredients to make it lower calorie. Even if you don't it's still better for you, tastes better and more filling.

I do the same. I make it with whole grain pasta and skim milk. I've tried using the low fat/fat free cheeses but it just doesn't do it for me. I agree with others though, eat it and just watch your portions :) I also stir in other ingredients, usually broccoli and grilled chicken breast but the tuna and peas idea sounds great as well as the lean ground turkey ideas! I'll be trying those :)
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I will be the first to admit - I LOVE Velveeta Shells and Cheese. Normally I stay away from processed stuff as much as possible, but I will always have a place in my heart for this creamy, dreamy concoction. My trick is to add things to the dish to make it more nutritious. Stirring in extra ingredients can also stretch one box to make more servings, thus decreasing the calories/sodium/fat of the mac & cheese itself.

Mix-in Ideas:

tuna and peas
    chili (homemade or low-sodium canned)
    broccoli and cubed chicken breast (or turkey)
    lean ground turkey (or beef) and diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning
    lean ground turkey (or beef), beans, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder

yes me to and yesterday i tried their new kits like the one i tried yesterday it was chicken alfredo hmmm hmm good
  • lizzyliz79
    lizzyliz79 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/lighter-baked-macaroni-and-cheese.html

I make this almost once a week! It can't be beaten!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Bump! I LOVE Mac and cheese!!
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Rocco Dispirito has a cookbook called "Now Eat This" where every dish is under 350 cal. I personally like it because I find it more "accessible" than other cookbook; it's foods that I KNOW I like, and they are easy to make. Sloppy joes, chicken cordon bleu, mac and cheese....comfort foods that I love. And the best part is that they are super easy. Rocco's Mac and Cheese is the bomb. You should check out this book. If you private message me I'll have happy to type out the recipe for you.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try miracle noodles! I think that's what they're called....they're 0 calories. You can find them at asian markets or buy them online! (: I haven't tried them yet, but I really want to!
  • lizz11
    lizz11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to add other things to stretch out the servings. I love to cook up some broccoli, onions, and garlic to add to mine.

Here's a tasty alternative that I made last night*:
    http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/01/11/hooray-for-healthier-mac-n-cheese-chili-and-more/?iref=allsearch

*note: verify the calories when you make it yourself - I found the calories shown here to be low.
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My Husband and I tried this http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/lighter-baked-macaroni-and-cheese.html
    this week. It was REALLY GOOD. We put broccoli in instead of spinach. It is still a little heavy, so does need to be eaten in moderation, but pair it with a salad and you are good to go!

Happy Eating!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan cheese sauce, much lighter calorie wise.

http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com/2011/05/easy-cheesy-low-cal-caulipots.html

NEW Low-Cal/Low-Fat Cheese Sauce! (Modified from Happy Herbivore)
    1-1/4 cup unsweetened rice milk
    1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    2 tablespoons corn starch
    2 tablespoons yellow miso paste
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I like ketchup on my mac and cheese.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like ketchup on my mac and cheese.

Me too!
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    that sounds amazing!
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mac and Cheese Suprise

2 cups cauliflower florets
    1/2 cup shredded carrots
    1 tBs each butter and flour
    1 tsp each chopped garlic and dry mustard
    1 cup fat free milk
    8 oz elbow macaroni, cooked
    1/3 cup each shredded low-fat sharp cheddar and swiss cheese

1 heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook veggies 5 min or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup liquid. In food processor puree vegetables adding 3 tBs liquid.

2 In saucepot over med heat, melt butter; wisk in flour, garlic and mustard. Let simmer 1 min. Add milk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 2 min., whisking.

3 Stir in veggie puree, macaroni, cheese, and cooking liquid if needed; spoon into greased casserole dish. Bake 20 min or until heated.

Prep time 15 min. Total time 40 min. Serves 6
    Per serving calories 125, Pro. 8g, Carb. 15 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 3 g, Chol, 13 mg, Sod. 108 mg, Total Fat 4 g, Sat 3 g, Trans. 0g

my 10 year old cannot wait to try this