Dont know when to stop

Options
Why do I do it to myself???? Be good for ten days straight and then ruin it by becoming a maniac that just has to eat everything in sight for two days....feel absolutely awful! Have done some googling and maybe I am not eating enough normally, but why cant I stop at just eating one "treat" food...why do I then use it as an excuse to become a human dustbin?

Last summer I got down to my goal, and loved being there and found it so EASY back then. Why cant I get back into that mentality again now!

Guess if it were that easy then none of us would be on here!

Replies

• Kellyh01
    Kellyh01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I made my goal weight in August. I maintained through Sept and Oct, then went back to my old eating habits Nov. and Dec. I am back on track now. For me, getting back on track starts with just tracking my food, not even trying to make any changes - just entering everything I consume. After a few days of seeing how many calories I was eating, it was easy to see places I could improve on, and make small changes - maybe cut back from 3500+ to 3000, then 2500, then 2000, then 1800, 1700, etc. I've never been able to eat "normally", then just go to 1200 calories the next day. It has to happen gradually over a week or two for me to make that change from consuming massive amounts of junk to eating healthy. And once I am tracking, it's easier to get back on track after a "treat" instead of just ditching the whole day. I'd rather be 300 calories over than 1300 or more over my calorie goal. Just keep at it, and know that you're not alone.
  • skirtinthedirt
    skirtinthedirt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a stress/anxiety eater. Also I LOVE to eat. Always have been this way, always will be. What I had to do was accept that about myself and work it into my plan, just like you would your height or any health conditions you have, etc.

First off, I learned about 5 years ago that I am one of those people who tends to put on weight. I have to be pretty strict about my eating habits and I need to work out at what most people would consider moderate to high intensity over 4 days a week to see the results I want to see.

Secondly, my boyfriend is exactly the same. And we are on this journey together. neither of us would be able to do this if the other person wasn't totally on board.

Therefore, I simply do not have junk food in my house, except on extremely rare occasions, and that item is planned for and consumed over the course of several days. Because I work out so much, I'm hungry a lot and snack a lot, so I do not keep unhealthy snacks in my house. This includes anything that can turn into a snack. We don't even have a toaster, because that leads to slices of bread with yummy spreads on them. We do not have a coffee machine, because that leads to coffee which leads to cream and sugar. We don't keep "ready-to-eat" meals in the house. We strive to make cooking food hard work so we are less likely to make something to eat out of boredom, stress, mindless habit, etc. We buy ingredients for healthy meals, multi-grain bread, skim milk, fruit, unsalted nuts, eggs, and protein shakes and that is essentially all we keep in the house regularly, plus a tremendous amount of spices and seasonings.

When I'm out and about, I keep my cash and my credit cards in the trunk, so popping through a drive-thru becomes a big chore.

I try to put as many steps between me and mindless eating as possible, so i really have to think about what I'm doing. If I'm stressed in rush hour and all of a sudden NEED giant creamy sweet drink I actually have to pull over, park, stop my car, get out, open my trunk, get my money out.....etc.

Lastly, knowing that even with all of this I will still at times make unhealthy choices, either because I'm stressed or because we simply are going out to dinner or at a party, etc. Because I am SO strict during my every day life, these little "infractions" are not only negligible, they are good for me because it keeps me feeling like I'm not a freak for not having had a single stick of butter or margarine in my house for over a year.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Before this weight loss, I was an absolute PRO at losing 5-7 pounds. But once I got there, it was like I had worked so hard that I deserved a break. Or that I looked good enough already. Or that I didn't need to rush, nothing wrong with taking it slow. Inevitably, I would always regain my progress within the next month.

It's different for everyone, but for me it's about stopping with excuses. If I want to let myself think that it should be easy, then I slip and I don't stick to it. It's not about being easy, it's not about being good enough, it's about sticking too it and keeping yourself from getting in your way. You can do this!
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think we may be using food to get an endorphin rush. Somehow, we have developed an unhealthy relationship with food and need to take control of our intake or it will take control of us.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    same here.. i eat pretty healthy (or at least i try) but i eat a lot! and i like eating.. so calories restriction is hard.. and i feel like i'm hungry all the time~~ :(
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Many of us are like this. First, eat enough on a daily basis (like you said.)

I allow myself a sugary treat once or twice a week. But, like you, it is hard to stop. So I have to buy small portioned things. Like one ice cream cone, not a half gallon sitting in the freezer. Or a piece of cake, not have a whole pie sitting on the counter.
  • zanmarie
    zanmarie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That seems like a sane approach.

ETA - Oops, didn't get quoted. I was commenting on Kellyh01 and the tracking/gradual approach to getting calories down.

OP - I have the same problem. I think that's the very nature of dieting. If you're too restrictive for long, you really want to get that enjoyment from food that you've been missing.
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    bump
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have found that having the 100 calorie snacks, ice cream, etc. everyday, I don't feel like I am missing out or being punished. If I didn't have a treat like that everyday, I probably would go crazy once a week or so and eat a buttload of crap. Or go on a shooting spree. LOL
    Works for me.
    Troy
  • zanmarie
    zanmarie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Also, I keep thinking about something I saw on Biggest Loser. They compared certain areas of the brain (corresponding to pleasure, I believe) in people who were overweight versus people who were (naturally) normal weight. The overweight people had a stronger reaction at the sight of enticing food but a LOWER reaction (than the normal weight people) upon eating it. So they needed to eat more to get the same level of satisfaction. We crave it more and then need to eat more of it to feel satiated. Hardly seems fair, does it? ;)
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Why do I do it to myself???? Be good for ten days straight and then ruin it by becoming a maniac that just has to eat everything in sight for two days....feel absolutely awful! Have done some googling and maybe I am not eating enough normally, but why cant I stop at just eating one "treat" food...why do I then use it as an excuse to become a human dustbin?

Last summer I got down to my goal, and loved being there and found it so EASY back then. Why cant I get back into that mentality again now!

I had myself a pig-fest lastnight. Felt guilty this morning, been doing excellent for 2 weeks, lost the 3 lbs I had gained over Christmas. Easily could have gained it back lastnight lol So today I forgave myself and ate right all day. "Back on it" I call it. We are allowed to treat when we need it. Never deprive. Take back the control :wink:
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact story and I wonder the same exact things. I have put on at least ten pounds since the summer and totally binge after doing so well. I read "Brain over Binge" and it does help somewhat and has helped me cut down but I still on occasion eat way more then I need to. I am trying the Spike Diet now so I can enjoy the foods I crave once a week and still lose. I am hoping it will help me beat my plateau finally because that is one of the most discouraging things and it makes me care less about eating well when nothing is changing.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

If you're on a reduce calorie diet, it will slow down thyroid activity and reduce how many calories you burn per day. I eat once a week above maintenance to prevent this effect. There is "NOTHING" to be guilt about.

I was thinking sort of the same thing...unless it is significantly affecting your weight loss (which one or two days really shouldn't) then don't worry about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/444974-are-cheat-spike-days-a-mistake-scared-to-try-it
  • sc1234
    sc1234 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What I've found for me is that if I have 1200 NET calories a day (1 pound/week), I'm great for about 5-8 days and then huge cravings kick in and I want to eat a whole bunch of bad things. When I change the numbers to 1340 NET calories a day (1/2 pound a week) I've found that I can go for long periods of time (months) without having to have a crazy binge day. That extra bit of calories every day seems to make a huge difference for me cummulatively.