Starting again, would love support

Options
Hello. I have checked this site out on and off for almost a year now. A little about me:

I have been overweight as long as I can remember. I hit my all time high 5 years ago weighing in at 312#. I gave birth to twins 4 years ago and lost over 100# during that postpartum period. I had managed to keep it off until about 9 months ago and I have slowly been gaining it back. I am 262# now and scared to death that this is spiraling out of control again. I am a single mom of twin boys, one who has developmental and medical issues. I guess I've let myself take a back seat.

I started again today and I have a few questions.

1. Why does MFP add your calories burned back into your calories to eat for the day? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

2. I need some ideas for quick portable snacks.

3. How often should I weigh myself?

4. How to handle cravings and having "kid friendly" foo around?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting all of you

Lara

Replies

• lilymaloney
    lilymaloney Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Lara,

To help answer some of your questions:

1. MFP already has you operating at a calorie deficit, so if you don't eat back your exercise calories, you are creating an even larger deficit for yourself. Sometimes this can put your body into starvation mode, so you want to avoid doing that too much.
    2. I like to have carrots, fruit, and nuts with me in case I get hungry. If you have access to a fridge at work, yogurt is good, too. (For the fruits and the yogurt, you should try to watch your sugar intake, though.)
    3. I usually weigh myself once a week, sometimes twice. I find that if i do it more than that, I get too obsessive about it. It's also important that you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after you've used the bathroom and before you've eaten.
    4. Cravings: this is always hard for me, too. I try to drink a lot of water, which can help to suppress hunger, or I'll eat a little handful of nuts or some carrots to help. I know a lot of people eat four smaller meals a day and that this helps, too. I think I may just always crave sugary things, so it just has to be mind over matter, I guess.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Lily
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi Lara!
    I don't always eat back all of my exercise calories. You might want to play around with it to see what works for you.
    Some of the snacks I like to eat are 100 cal mini popcorn, laughing cow cheese with wasa crackers or veggies, babybel light cheese with 1/2 cup or grapes, yogurt, etc. I tend to eat the same ones over and over.
    I weigh myself every day. There are pros and cons to weighing in daily. You need to be prepared for fluctuations in your weight (good and bad) and not get too stressed or freaked when your weight goes up at times. I weigh in daily because I need the daily reminder and can't stand to wait a week. It is your personal choice.
    I also have 2 boys. When I am feeling jealous of what they are eating or want to cave I either chew gum or have a Werther's Original which only has 20 calories.
    Good luck! Feel free to friend me :happy:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    1. The body needs fuel to operate, so it gives you back the calories you burned so that you can convert your fat to muscle. I don't eat all my exercise calories back, but I do eat more the days I exercise.

2. On the weekend, prepare up baggies of sliced vegetables, get the individual packets of hummus, package up individual servings of whole wheat crackers and cheese. They are great to grab quickly and you won't be tempted to turn to convenience food.

3. You'll want to weigh yourself no more than once per week. Every day will have you stressed out. I try to go 2 weeks between scale days.

4. When you have a craving, try an alternative. If you are craving carbs, have a couple of whole wheat crackers, for sweet eat fruit, and for salty try almonds. Also try to slowly replace the "kid friendly" food with "mom friendly" food the kids will like. This teaches good habits. Replace goldfish with cheerios, cheese sticks with low fat cheese, etc.

Most of all...good luck! If you need more ideas, check out my blog.

Mary Ann
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711