Low-cal mug cake - too good to be true?

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I found this recipe online for a low-calorie mug cake, and I got really excited because I love mug cakes and they're normally so high in calories! This one boasts only 101 calories for 1 mug cake.

However, that doesn't make any sense to me. If you look at the ingredients, just the vegetable oil alone should have over 200 calories. Am I missing something here? I want to make this so bad, but I don't see how it could only have 101 calories. Thanks for the help!

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Microwave-Brownie-In-A-Mug-_single-Serving_-Chow?servings=1

Replies

• uberlaut
    Options
    Yes, by my calculations the oil alone is worth 230cal.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've made a similar one with protein, an egg, sweetner and baking powder.

Probly didn't taste as good as the one you posted, but no doubt its less calories and better nutrition.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they're saying it's two servings per mug cake?
  • TejasSlim
    Options
    The calories are def not right. Try substituting no-sugar added applesauce in place of the oil.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I agree - even if it was supposed to be teaspoons and not tablespoons, it still comes out to 130 cal. With Tbsp, it is more like 300
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I knew it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

So lame. I don't know if they miscalculated or just flat out lied, but I definitely got my hopes up! :(
  • teenya20
    teenya20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    definitely make using applesauce - should be real comparable results! Can always throw in some chocolate soy protein powder (can take the heat) and increase the protein factor
  • mblanchard0625
    mblanchard0625 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    maybe it was made in an espresso mug? :laugh:
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Calculated the recipe (I was bored) and even replacing the butter with margarine, I got 337 calories.

2 tbs vitalite 70
    2 tbs water 0
    1 tsp vanilla 12
    1 dash salt 0?
    1 tsp coffee 2
    3 tbs sugar 144
    2 tbs cocoa 24
    2 tbs all purpose flour 85

Total: 337

Though now I'm searching to see if there are any alternatives. I'm thinking I could still make this but maybe a third less ingredients might be ok, maybe even adding some baking powder would help as well?

Edit: oops, calculated 3tbs vitalite, not 2!