best place to meet a guy?

Options

Replies

• Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna say the gym.

At least he has some sorta motivation, priorities and goals.

At least I'd like to think so.

its hard to meet a guy in the gym because they are very motivated in their own little corner of the weight room... and the "grunts" and "groans" get kind of aggravating.. lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Home depot.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Home depot.

Oooh, I can get behind that. I like a man who knows his way around tools, plumbing, electrical, SOMETHING. ;)
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    If you want a fling, a bar or a club. If you want to actually meet people you enjoy spending time with, go to places and events you like already. Don't go into places thinking, "I'm looking for a date." Go into them thinking, "I'm looking for cool people who like similar things that I like, and maybe a potential Mr. Right will be there." As a guy, women who turn up looking for a date is a HUGE turn off, as you can sense emotions that are similar to desperation. However, if you how up, be yourself, and are indifferent as to whether you meet someone THIS time (you're still looking, but you're not being stupid about it), I'm more likely to be into you. Also, don't wimp out. If you like a guy, ask him out for something that you both have a mutual interest in and see were it goes. You might find Mr. Right. You might find that long lost brother of yours. Who knows?

Meetup.com is good for the above; check your local alternative news rag if you're into concerts, art shows, etc. If you like a good pub trivia night, look at geekswhodrink.com. If you like team sports, look at something like leaguelineup.com
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Church!...If you are into that sort of thing:)
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Well, classes! That's where I met him.

Otherwise, a concert or bookstore should be a good place for me to look in! :D
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm . . .
    Tried 80%, won't try 10% am gonna give the other 10% a go!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Bars, church, park, concert, meet ups and sports teams have been successful for me lately. Granted, I haven't found one that I like alot but still, it's nice to meet new people regardless.
    I don't like casual dating so I think the best way hands down is friend a friend. Someone knows them and you can talk in a group, get to know them better, etc etc..
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Church!...If you are into that sort of thing:)

I was thinking the same thing...although I am not looking.
    Another good place is running events. Sign up for 5K, 10K, mini-marathon. There are always great looking people there that you know at least have similar interest in fitness.
    I met my wife at college.
  • winesar21
    Options
    I know someone already said it but meetup.com is a great place to meet people. I'm married, but I like to hike. I joined a hiking group and I met so many people, both married and single. There's no pressure to find someone but you;ll meet a lot of people with similar interests. My dd is also married and joined an ex-pats group in Prague, and various soccer meetups. It's safe (lot's of people) and no agenda. Like someone said, there are also lots of singles groups. A woman I met in my hiking group attends a singles mixer about once a week. Good luck!

Thanks! I am going to check this website out :)
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....I have nothing to offer, but good luck :) I'm a single mom, in college and working. I don't meet anyone, like EVER, which sucks but I don't want to go looking for someone and end up with the wrong person again. I prefer to just let it happen if it's going to happen. Maybe that just means I'm realtionship shy though. Hope you get some good suggestions here that work out for you. :)
  • winesar21
    Options
    Hmmm....I have nothing to offer, but good luck :) I'm a single mom, in college and working. I don't meet anyone, like EVER, which sucks but I don't want to go looking for someone and end up with the wrong person again. I prefer to just let it happen if it's going to happen. Maybe that just means I'm realtionship shy though. Hope you get some good suggestions here that work out for you. :)

Thanks and goodluck to you, just let it happen!
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    This is a suggestion for meeting people in general, fill your life with the things and activities you enjoy, for instance if you enjoy working out join a gym that offers classes that suit your interest, like reading join a book club, Artsy type take a dance, art, or photography class and the list goes on and on. that way you meet people with similar interests and you'll already have at least one thing in common with the person you're trying to get to know. (this is what I do at least)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    I would say a grocery store since then you can see how they actually eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Urinals!
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was reviewing the thread for ideas since, I also got out of a long term relationship a few months ago and wanted to consider dating. But.....internet dating seems scary in my 30's.

I second this. I've never tried it but I think I'd be too scared to. I know you can meet serial killers, rapists, and thieves in real life but I feel the web makes it a little too easy for these creeps to hand pick their prey.
  • ItWillHappenIn2012
    Options
    Why not here on MFP? I am sure you must have had a few interesting proposals after starting this thread... :tongue:
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would say a grocery store since then you can see how they actually eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If I tried that, I would've never met my bf ... when I met him, all he had in his fridge was a box of Velveeta and some beer. :laugh: No wonder he's gained 20 lbs. in the 3 years that we've been dating ... I feed him REAL FOOD. :tongue:
  • gabbingfilly
    gabbingfilly Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I met my hubby through friends. Although we were friends long before we even dated. But the cutest story I know of is my best friend who met her husband while volunteering at our local food pantry. I believe it was during the hurricane Katrina disaster, but anyway they met there and hit it off and although they didn't exchange numbers or anything, they ran into each other later in town and the rest is history. :)