Birth Control Frustration

Options

Replies

• Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just got off of birth control in August and I have poly cystic ovarian syndrome so now that my hormones are not level again I gained weight.. so i guess its the opposite affect on me?
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just got off of birth control in August and I have poly cystic ovarian syndrome so now that my hormones are not level again I gained weight.. so i guess its the opposite affect on me?

I'm not a doctor, but I do have close friends with PCOS, and I know that women with PCOS have a tendency to gain weight (esp around the middle) because you've got more androgens in your system.
  • kaybeepickles
    Options
    I had been on BC pills for years, the pills can actually end up creating hormone production problems in your body during or after usage. So the pills them self may not have contributed to your weight gain, but the affects of them could have.

I've been dealing with horrible migraines and hormone issues now for several years. I'm not interested in continuing to put any more chemicals in my body. I've since quit taking pill BC and have a consultation set up to discuss getting the Paraguard IUD that contains no hormones. Perhaps you should see about setting up an appointment with your doctor to discuss your other options.

Good luck!
  • may2490
    may2490 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I used to take the Depo shot and I would, no lie, gain about 5-10 pounds almost overnight.

But then I switched to Mirena after talking to my doctor about it. Mainly, because the mirena doesn't cause weight gain like the Depo because it is isolated down there and not flowing through my entire body.

But I would check with your doctor, as they might have another type of hormonal bc that you can be put on instead.
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I am having the same frustration with my birth control. I'm taking lo loestrine, and I've decided to go the route of Paragard (Copper IUD w/ no hormones) later this month. I know that my periods will be longer and I'll have cramps again, but I am so tired of all the side effects of birth control pills. I don't care what people say, I think that the pill definitely has an impact on weight. I've been working out harder in the last few months than in a long time and eating healthier, yet the scale doesn't budge below 150. It's incredibly frustrating!

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I am having the same frustration with my birth control. I'm taking lo loestrine, and I've decided to go the route of Paragard (Copper IUD w/ no hormones) later this month. I know that my periods will be longer and I'll have cramps again, but I am so tired of all the side effects of birth control pills. I don't care what people say, I think that the pill definitely has an impact on weight. I've been working out harder in the last few months than in a long time and eating healthier, yet the scale doesn't budge below 150. It's incredibly frustrating!

I hope you find something that works for you!

You also don't have much to lose... So it comes off pretty slow... and maybe 150 is where you are meant to be. Plus there could be water weight from muscles trying to repair themselves, etc.. so there are a lot of factors that play in.

I take Loesterin too and have had no issues what so ever.. So it really is a personal thing.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I took a low hormone birth control and that is exactly when I gained my weight. I gained nearly 30lbs and if I accidentally missed a day I would get my cycle and it would last forever! I saw my doctor about it and he put me on a regular hormone BC pill and I have never had that problem again.

I hope you talk to your doctor about that. it could be the dosage. I was also allergic to the low hormone one too so that also caused even more side effects. The one I'm on now doesn't affect me anymore and now I'm starting to lose the weight I gained.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue wit BC. I gained 30ish pounds the first time I was on it, then after i had my first child and had to go back on it, I gained another 15. Then after I had my 2nd child i luckily opted to have my tubes tied so I don't have to worry about BC.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Are you sure it's your birth control and not your thyroid? My thyroid was slightly out of whack. Finally a doctor put me on 25 mg of Synthroid and now losing. I was blaming my birth control too. But I recently did switch from Yaz to Alesse for other reasons.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's been mentioned or not.. But there was actually a study done recently that showed that Birth Control doesn't actually make you gain weight - Placebo does.

If I remember correctly - The study had two groups of women, one taking birth control, one taking a placebo, and both gained weight. We've been lead the believe that BC actually makes you gain weight so that when you are on it you gain weight (whether it's by eating, lack of exercise, or it's psychosomatic).

:]

That's weird. I ate healthier and exercised even more after my BC(because that's when I started playing rugby) But I ended up gaining weight
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    I'm a registered dietitian...and a Type I (juvenile) diabetic. I've been eating healthy meaning...here's a typical day.

Breakfast: Flaxseed cereal, 1/4 cup fresh berries, 1/2 cup 1% milk, 1/2 cup coffee with 1/2 Tbsp half and half.
    Lunch: Salad made with ~2 cups raw spinach, celeary, carrots, cucumber, garbanzo beans (1/4 cup), boneless skinless chicken breast (4 oz), 1 1/2 Tbs lowfat dressing, a piece of fresh fruit (an apple or banana usually)
    Dinner: (varies) Sometimes a grilled cheese made with whole wheat bread and 2% cheese (1-2 slices averaging 45 calories per slice), 1 tsp butter for making the sandwich and 1/2 can tomato soup made with water, not milk, and steamed spinach with vinegar. (of course dinner varies the most because I'm the cook...I keep it light and we rarely, if ever, eat red meat).

I avoid fast food like the plague and we don't eat out often...

It could very well have to do with the diabetes. I am also a T1 diabetic and am finding it hard to lose. I've heard from many many other insulin-dependent diabetics that it's a very long road for us....it has to do with the insulin. The units of insulin we dose for the carbs we eat isn't equivalent to what a 'normal' body needs/produces in terms of the volume of insulin. And our synthetic insulins don't work as fast as 'natural' insulin. These and other factors come together to make it harder for us to lose weight when we want to.
  • SilverStar18
    SilverStar18 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    After having so many issues with Birth Control (not weight related though), I tried soo many to regulate my period and cramps because I, too, had really bad ones. Long story short, I went with the Mirena (low-hormone IUD) and haven`t looked back. It actually stops your period completely, and so I never have to worry about cramps and periods again, and it lasts 5 years so i saved a lot of money. It was a win win situation for me, but it was very painful to get inserted, actually the most painful thing Ive experienced, since I have not had children before. I didn`t take any pain killers though, but most people say its not too bad if you take something before and if you have had children. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it, it was the best decision I made.
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I used to take the Depo shot and I would, no lie, gain about 5-10 pounds almost overnight.

But then I switched to Mirena after talking to my doctor about it. Mainly, because the mirena doesn't cause weight gain like the Depo because it is isolated down there and not flowing through my entire body.

But I would check with your doctor, as they might have another type of hormonal bc that you can be put on instead.

Just to clear up any misconceptions: the progesterone (levonorgestrel) in the Mirena *does* enter systemic circulation and therefore can have systemic effects. The dosage of the hormone is just so low (I believe equivalent to two or three progesterone only pills per month) that most people don't see any systemic effects. That being said, there are exceptions to the rule and those who are hormone sensitive like me may still have undesireable side effects.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    i understand your pain. I got odd the OTC and now I have the Mirena IUD. The insertion does hurt a little but its so much better. Light periods / light cramps to spotting. No crazy hormones and I've started dropping this extra weight.
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    naturally if you don't have much to get rid of, you won't see it budge quickly. I'm trying to slim down by around 10lbs, but i dont expect to see them come off every week.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    its water weight from your pill (that happend to me) cut back on sodium in fact dont add any to your food. try eating clean I am sure that will help. good luck
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how some women can be so "green" and "organic" in everything but their own sexuality.

Adding hormones to your body via the pill will mess you up. Pills are toxic abortificiants, not contraceptives.

You still get pregnant on the pill, you body just flushes it out unless you have taken the pill to the point of where your uterine lining is so thick the fertilized egg can't attach, then it gets flushed out and you have even worse menstrual problems than a normal person.

Estrogen increases growth in the body. Growth of everything in the body.
    It also messes up your metabolisim. The only fix is to do a leptin reset and to see about getting off the pill before it's too late to do so.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I took a low hormone birth control and that is exactly when I gained my weight. I gained nearly 30lbs and if I accidentally missed a day I would get my cycle and it would last forever! I saw my doctor about it and he put me on a regular hormone BC pill and I have never had that problem again.

I hope you talk to your doctor about that. it could be the dosage. I was also allergic to the low hormone one too so that also caused even more side effects. The one I'm on now doesn't affect me anymore and now I'm starting to lose the weight I gained.

This is me. After my youngest son was born (and I nursed) I got the Mirena inserted. I had it removed since it made me psyco and my acne was off the charts in full gear. Then my new doctor put me on Lo Seasonique and although it was much better, I HATE it. I never know when I'm going to have a period, I don't have them when I'm supposed to, and my cycle (although I don't bleed) can last up to 2 weeks where I have terrible bloating (ie weight gain) and other PMS symptoms. I'm about to go back to the doc to get the pill I used for years with no problems - Ortho tri Cyclin which is a regular pill where I have a period every month.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how some women can be so "green" and "organic" in everything but their own sexuality.

Adding hormones to your body via the pill will mess you up. Pills are toxic abortificiants, not contraceptives.

You still get pregnant on the pill, you body just flushes it out unless you have taken the pill to the point of where your uterine lining is so thick the fertilized egg can't attach, then it gets flushed out and you have even worse menstrual problems than a normal person.

It also messes up your metabolisim. The only fix is to do a leptin reset and to see about getting off the pill before it's too late to do so.

You are sadly misinformed
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Um. No.

On every count, no.

The pill prevents ovulation, thereby preventing conception. If an egg squeaks by the hormone hypnosis the ovaries are under, it can be fertilized and will implant normally, that's how women get pregnant on the pill.

The pill thins the uterine lining, not thickens it. That's why many women report shorter, lighter periods when using hormonal birth control. How would a fertilized egg being flushed out cause menstrual problems? That makes no scientific sense.

Estrogen does not increase cellular division so I can't fathom how it would cause growth in every part of the body...

The pill does not affect metabolism. These are the same hormones naturally found in anyone with two X chromasomes.

I have no idea what a lepitin reset is but based on your completely false statements, I'm gonna go ahead and give that one a pass and recommend everyone else do the same.

Birth control is a personal decision. Pills work great for some and are horrible for others, don't blanket them with a bad name and false "science" just because you had a bad experience.