Solution to "rude" people in the forums

Options
2»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Find folks in the forums or groups that seem to have a good head on their shoulders, and befriend them.

If I cannot find the answer using Google, then I know I can ask the folks on my friends list. I no longer need the forum to ask questions -- I just post it to my profile.

The friendships I've made here are much more valuable in terms of information and support than anything in the forums.

You're welcome! :flowerforyou:

That's why I friended you. That and the hilarity. :drinker:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Or people who put posts like this that even bubbly people like me would just love to rip apart, its just asking for it! Better I ignore it and go work out but it was funny how I found this hilarious story right after this thread, lol!

Point is, don't let the dumb stories or questions get to you, move on and you won't become a rude person and can focus more on your own goals.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/451768-husband-left-me-because-of-weight-new-motivation
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Find folks in the forums or groups that seem to have a good head on their shoulders, and befriend them.

If I cannot find the answer using Google, then I know I can ask the folks on my friends list. I no longer need the forum to ask questions -- I just post it to my profile.

The friendships I've made here are much more valuable in terms of information and support than anything in the forums.

You're welcome! :flowerforyou:

I'm going to report you for the over use of common sense.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I think the worst thing about posting questions on the forum is that:

1) There usually isn't sufficient data to make accurate or sound advice.

2) Your going to get a million different suggestions.

There are some exceptions, but those are my general feelings towards it.

Completely agree. People don't do their research, spread myths, get mad when you tell them they are wrong, then you become a bully. Its lose-lose xD
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You guys are smart! Gonna combine the whiskey and Benadryl instead. Poor kid's got allergies.

You should try meth. I heard that works wonders.
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me advice on how to get my 12 year-old to sleep through the night?

A little dab of Vick's vapo rub under each eye. They have to keep their eyes closed or face the fumes.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You guys are smart! Gonna combine the whiskey and Benadryl instead. Poor kid's got allergies.

Get their teeth sealed first.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And for the love of everything decent use the ignore function!

Listen we're not all going to get along. We're a community of very diverse and different people. But if there's someone who's upsetting you, for whatever reason, please just put them on ignore. You don't need to run to the mods like they're your parents settling a fight for you.

Think they're rude? Ignore. Showing too much skin? Ignore. Just don't like their tone? Ignore!

You don't need to report or start threads *****ing because someone didn't support your 500 calorie a day diet. Just set them to ignore and you'll never hear or see them again.

The fact that people don't do this is proof that they'd rather go around tattling on others than simply use the site for it's purposes.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    And for the love of everything decent use the ignore function!

Listen we're not all going to get along. We're a community of very diverse and different people. But if there's someone who's upsetting you, for whatever reason, please just put them on ignore. You don't need to run to the mods like they're you're parents settling a fight for you.

Think they're rude? Ignore. Showing too much skin? Ignore. Just don't like their tone? Ignore!

You don't need to report or start threads *****ing because someone didn't support your 500 calorie a day diet. Just set them to ignore and you'll never hear or see them again.

The fact that people don't do this is proof that they'd rather go around tattling on others than simply use the site for it's purposes.

Reported!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    And then he has people like me on his list...

We all need variety!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Showing too much skin? Ignore.
    13256176.jpg
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    And then he has people like me on his list...

We all need variety!
    You are an asset on anybody's list, ma'am.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    No. You're all wrong.

Forums are great. You get all the best advice and comments from people on fitness forums. Especially the ones who have a degree in graphic design (I am a graphic designer, so no whining about the comment -- although, I do have a personal fitness and nutrition certification too, but that's beside the point) but want to tell me all about my medical symptoms.

I learned the lesson that forums are the best place for advice when I asked if anyone else has gotten scaly skin on their face from working out, and was told by ELEVEN people that I MUST have an STD and that I should dump my husband's cheating butt...because that's the answer for everything...turns out, it's a normal reaction for some people who work out outside and there's a really easy solution.

But really...why call a doctor or a homeopathic practitioner, or a personal fitness trainer, when you can ask a graphic designer?

I mean, right now, I have recurring hives for no reason...it MUST be an STD, right? And since my husband has been deployed for 5 months, and I have been celibate, and they just barely appeared, it has to be an STD, right? I mean, there's no other explanation. Maybe I got it from a toilet seat.

:-p :-p :-p

Honestly...I am so over forums...I will get on there to help people who are getting bad advice from graphic designers and copy writers...and cashiers at the local grocery store. I give them links to studies, and I tell them to read the instructions on MFP. But I won't ask questions on forums anymore. It is such a waste of time. And it's DANGEROUS. Do you know how many threads get opened every day where people tell newbies to NOT eat back their exercise calories? And that it's okay to eat only 500 calories per day??? It's ridiculous.

Not to mention the forum questions that have NOTHING to do with exercise or nutrition. I have a problem right now...maybe everyone on MFP can tell me how to solve it:

I adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. They neglected to tell me that this kitten had been exposed to FeLV and that they did not vaccinate or test for the illness. I took it home. It infected my otherwise perfectly healthy cat who is now incredibly ill. Should I sue them for failure to protect animals since that is their mission?

Seriously...don't answer that question, y'all. I already did what needed to be done. Which was file a complaint with the BBB, contact several Animal Rights groups, and start a petition on change.org to force lawmakers to change the law and require animal shelters to test, separate, and vaccinate.

I don't think people really intend to be rude on forums. They're just mostly full of super opinionated, egomaniacal idiots.

Honestly, since this is a fitness, exercise, and nutrition site, I think the moderators should ban all content that has nothing to do with fitness and nutrition in the forums.

My cat problems don't affect my weight and exercise plan. My depression over losing my job on the other hand, does because I can't find the motivation to exercise and I want to eat four cases of Chunky Monkey followed by an appletini chaser.

And for the record...I promise never to talk about my fem-crush on Martha Stewart on the forums. I save that, and all my regular b****ing for my regular page, my blogs, and facebook. Want to see it? Then friend me. But let's keep it off the forums.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    No. You're all wrong.

Forums are great. You get all the best advice and comments from people on fitness forums. Especially the ones who have a degree in graphic design (I am a graphic designer, so no whining about the comment -- although, I do have a personal fitness and nutrition certification too, but that's beside the point) but want to tell me all about my medical symptoms.

I learned the lesson that forums are the best place for advice when I asked if anyone else has gotten scaly skin on their face from working out, and was told by ELEVEN people that I MUST have an STD and that I should dump my husband's cheating butt...because that's the answer for everything...turns out, it's a normal reaction for some people who work out outside and there's a really easy solution.

But really...why call a doctor or a homeopathic practitioner, or a personal fitness trainer, when you can ask a graphic designer?

I mean, right now, I have recurring hives for no reason...it MUST be an STD, right? And since my husband has been deployed for 5 months, and I have been celibate, and they just barely appeared, it has to be an STD, right? I mean, there's no other explanation. Maybe I got it from a toilet seat.

Honestly...I am so over forums...I will get on there to help people who are getting bad advice from graphic designers and copy writers...and cashiers at the local grocery store. I give them links to studies, and I tell them to read the instructions on MFP. But I won't ask questions on forums anymore. It is such a waste of time. And it's DANGEROUS. Do you know how many threads get opened every day where people tell newbies to NOT eat back their exercise calories? And that it's okay to eat only 500 calories per day??? It's ridiculous.

Not to mention the forum questions that have NOTHING to do with exercise or nutrition. I have a problem right now...maybe everyone on MFP can tell me how to solve it:

I adopted a kitten from the Humane Society. They neglected to tell me that this kitten had been exposed to FeLV and that they did not vaccinate or test for the illness. I took it home. It infected my otherwise perfectly healthy cat who is now incredibly ill. Should I sue them for failure to protect animals since that is their mission?

Seriously...don't answer that question, y'all. I already did what needed to be done. Which was file a complaint with the BBB, contact several Animal Rights groups, and start a petition on change.org to force lawmakers to change the law and require animal shelters to test, separate, and vaccinate.

I don't think people really intend to be rude on forums. They're just mostly full of super opinionated, egomaniacal idiots.

Honestly, since this is a fitness, exercise, and nutrition site, I think the moderators should ban all content that has nothing to do with fitness and nutrition in the forums.

My cat problems don't affect my weight and exercise plan. My depression over losing my job on the other hand, does because I can't find the motivation to exercise and I want to eat four cases of Chunky Monkey followed by an appletini chaser.

And for the record...I promise never to talk about my fem-crush on Martha Stewart on the forums. I save that, and all my regular b****ing for my regular page, my blogs, and facebook. Want to see it? Then friend me. But let's keep it off the forums.
    I am fat, and hence, lazy. Could you please forward the Cliff's Notes to this? :wink:
  • smidshop
    Options
    I had the same problem with my son; since birth. Have a curfew on his electronics, and if that doesn't work, puberty will soon take over. Then you won't be able to wake him up. This has been my experience.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options
    No. You're all wrong.

I'm guessing herpes.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    No. You're all wrong.

cool-story-bro.jpg
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I am fat, and hence, lazy. Could you please forward the Cliff's Notes to this? :wink:

Short version: "You're all wrong."
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

I didn't ask for how to get him through Harvard. Meth is a stimulant, my dear.

how_rude.jpg
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    There are no rude people here! Only jealous ones. You didn't get that memo?