Anyone up for a 5k challenge???

Options
Join this group: Beef's 5k with MFP Friends! or add me as a friend if interested!

I’m no runner, never set out to be, never really wanted to be but for some reason while doing my normal treadmill walk the other night I decided to start jogging. I wasn’t blazing it, just a little trot at 5.0 – 5.5 mph. I did this for about 20 of the 30 minutes I was on the treadmill, not too bad for the first time in my opinion.

I guess I got a bit of the running bug and have decided to sign up and do my first 5k – ever! My 1 year anniversary of joining this site is May 8th and I thought running a 5k would be a GREAT way to celebrate and also to challenge myself with a new goal – especially a goal outside of my comfort zone. The 8th is on a Tuesday so I found a 5k on Saturday, May 5th – it’s the Walk MS event in Philly.

I’m pretty excited about this and thought that it would be really cool to have a bunch of MFPers run a 5k on the same day in their hometown. There’s always a 5k somewhere. The event is 16 weeks from yesterday, that is enough time to do Couch to 5k two times if I’m not mistaken.

Who’s with me? Let’s Dooooo it!!

Join this group: Beef's 5k with MFP Friends! or add me as a friend if interested!

Replies

• maggie4097
    Options
    BEEF! If you can already do 20 minutes without walking, you can probably do a 10k by May 6th! That is fantastic! I'm in!
  • GlfWid0
    GlfWid0 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What is Couch to 5k?
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my first 5k in May also, so I'm with ya!

Couch to 5k is a 9 week interval training program to help someone who has never jogged or ran 5k before to work up to that distance. I have used it before and think it is great.
  • Purecity
    Purecity Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I might do this with you! I'm doing the c25k program currently :)
  • mita2161
    Options
    Ive been thinking about doing this. Ive heard this is a good doable program. Ill give it a try. I have a leg problem, upper outer thigh is numb from surgery over a year ago so sometimes it hurts and burns to jog, but it cant hurt to try.
  • DWPedsRN
    DWPedsRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    C25K took me a few extra weeks to complete, but I did! I'm running my first 5K on 1/28, and I'm so very excited! For anyone contemplating the program... JUST DO IT!
  • chachan
    chachan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Doing C25K right now and signed up for a 5K in May...but hoping to try a 10 that month too! I am only in week 3 of the program but LOVE being able to run for 3 minutes...can't imagine how great it will feel to run over 3 miles!
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm totally interested in training along with everyone :D I just have to search for a 5k or close to it race in my area :D It will be great to have a goal like this in mind to keep my focused :)
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    BEEF! If you can already do 20 minutes without walking, you can probably do a 10k by May 6th! That is fantastic! I'm in!

5k is plenty Maggie, lol! And the date is actually Saturday, May 5th. :bigsmile: