You've used all your calories, but still hungry, what do you

Options
I'm really struggling with this. I have a great day with my eating and am on track, then it gets close to bedtime and I suddenly feel really hungry again.

Right now I feel like I could easily make up some pasta or throw some chips in the oven... but that would throw away the days good work. I have hit 'compete day' on my calorie counter and I expect it to stay that way.

But what do you do to take your mind off the hunger when you first start calorie counting?

I was completely fine and satisfied with less than what I am currently eating before my 'Christmas swell', and I know after a week or so my stomach will shrink again in time, but it feels harder this time round :(

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    If it's that close to my bedtime, I just go to bed and sleep it off knowing I can have food when I wake again.

Otherwise, if I'm unbearably hungry and can't sleep yet I'll just have a small snack and go over my calories. Something for 100 calories satisfies the appetite, and won't destroy hard work.
  • AmyMK
    AmyMK Posts: 164
    Options
    I always brush my teeth - since most things taste funny after I've done that, it usually will stop me from grabbing something! Gum also works if i just need to chew something.

Or, try drinking hot water with honey and ginger, if you're wanting something sweet.
  • mna3631
    Options
    I usually go for a glass of milk or if I'm really hungry, a couple almonds with milk.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I usually chug a bottle of water.
  • br0seidon
    Options
    I can almost guarantee you need to drink more ^^
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    water water water! A big glass of water will take care of that hunger...and then head to bed. :)
  • nelson07192000
    nelson07192000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink some water...or herbal tea.... do something that will take your mind off of hunger..... go to sleep.
    You can do it!
  • Kristin24C
    Kristin24C Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I usually snack on a cucumber. Theres barely and thing in them and I like that they are crisp!
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i usually drink water or make me a 10 calorie packet of hawaiin punch if I am craving something sweet...
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If I'm really hungry, I let myself have as many veggies as I want. Carrots, bell peppers, green beans ect... I figure, if my body is REALLY hungry, then the veggies wil be good for it, and if I'm not hungry enough to eat plain veggies, then I'm not really hungry
  • JamieAmandaC
    Options
    Water. I keep a water bottle beside me and try to refill it as soon as it's empty.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling with this. I have a great day with my eating and am on track, then it gets close to bedtime and I suddenly feel really hungry again.

Right now I feel like I could easily make up some pasta or throw some chips in the oven... but that would throw away the days good work. I have hit 'compete day' on my calorie counter and I expect it to stay that way.

But what do you do to take your mind off the hunger when you first start calorie counting?

I was completely fine and satisfied with less than what I am currently eating before my 'Christmas swell', and I know after a week or so my stomach will shrink again in time, but it feels harder this time round :(
    You eat - call today a maintenance day.
    I am assuming to have your setting to 1 lb of weekly weight loss?
    If not, then you're over reaching.

It may look good on paper, but reality has a way of biting us all on the butt.
    Go eat.

And open your diary, and maybe I can help you.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    tea,tea ,tea. Or ice water. Or find something to clean, or find a 10 minute workout video online then have small snack.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    If I can't sleep & I'm hungry, I have a warm milk drink, Usually Milo. I always need to have something to eat/drink like that around 9 - 9.30pm.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe plan out your meals/snacks so that you have some extra calories left for the late evening. You could also do some light exercise after dinner to earn some extra cals for another small meal. But since you find yourself hungry consistently at bedtime, maybe rearranging your calories throughout the day to give yourself a boost in the evening.

Also what the others have said about teas, water, and low cal veggies.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal is set to 1200 or something I suggest raising it a little.

If not, it's possible you're not hungry but actually thirsty. Drink water or green tea (non caffeinated) Also, lots of protein will help reduce food cravings.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! :)

I'm going to go for a big glass of water... I do struggle to drink enough water, it's one of my main goals to hit at least 8 glasses a day. Today I have reached my 8 so I will have to up that to 10 and hope I don't need to pee all night long :P

If that doesn't do the trick I think I'll try the cucumber, I love cucumber and thinking that the act of eating 'something' might convince my body into thinking its done for the day!

@MaximalLife I have added on 200 calories to what was suggested as I know from past experience I don't function well on a 1200 calorie diet, so am on 1400 at the moment. Today has been one of those days where I saved my calories for a big meal with my family so I think that is part of the problem. I will try make my diary public, I wasn't aware that it was hidden :)
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree on the tea!!! That helped me SO many nights. Especially, since it is so hot it takes a while to finish the mug. Back when I was exercising like a nut, I would work out extra some days for the sole purpose of having extra calories to eat!! Lately, I've been finding it difficult to keep my daughter busy long enough to work out, so I hit the tea in a pinch!! I also drink tons of water and that helps me as well.
  • Lambiii
    Lambiii Posts: 321
    Options
    i would have Water, or orange squash..
  • grannisue
    Options
    It's taken me a while to get back on track after the holidays. I usually don't use my exercise calories unless I have those hunger pains in the evening. I make sure I have had plenty of water and I always keep crunch paks of apples in the fridge and will reach for one of those. If it's not to close to bedtime I will oven roast veggies: zucchinni, onions, red peppers ~ my hubby thinks I am nuts for that but I love them and it's low in calories.:flowerforyou: