has anyone stopped logging calories and just eats healthily?

Options
13»

Replies

• Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a month with very bad results. I need the diary to keep me accountable.
  • klloyd
    klloyd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nice weight loss!
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have never had a concept of calories. I had no idea how much I was truly eating. And I am not of that kind of personality that would actually manually figure it out for myself. The very thought of it was overwhelming to me.

So MFP has actually been a great help to me. It is a few minutes a day and I have concrete facts to look at. It has kept me very accountable and I have even started to conceptualize where I am calorie wise and whether or not I can "afford" to eat a certain food or not. And I have started to have self control.

It is very rewarding to me. I can find it a little tedious to find the 1 tsp or this or that in my dishes but full on honesty means I know that I have truly earned my good results.

Hope you find out what works for you!!
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have logged in meals in e-Tolls for WW website since March 2011. I decided this month to try NOT logging in WW (and use the simply filling technique) instead. I eat "power foods" cuz I already know the points plus value of what I eat.

BUT I am new to MFP and I just started logging my meals in this website. Its a little difficult to convert points into calories. I'm getting there. Maybe one day, I can learn what I eat in calories by memory (like I do in WW) and not log meals in MFP. Time will tell.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging on weekends and holidays in June when I reached my initial goal.

But for the most part, I log because it's about more than calories for me. I know I need to get adequate protein to feel my best. Plus, I like to consider myself a bit of an athlete now, so if I'm going to train like one, I need to eat like one. I need to log my food to eat enough just as much as to not overeat.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Even on maintenance I'm continuing to log. It's just what I HAVE to do for me. I've never been able to maintain and this time I am having success -- because I'm continuing to log.
  • cheree1965
    Options
    I quit logging and I quit exercising and boom it went on quick. I have to really watch it.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've stopped logging. It does nothing for me but make me crazy.

I'm now doing mindful eating with the help of the McKenna mediations. Just started, but I am amazed at how much less I eat when I eat only when i'm hungry... and stop when I'm full. I'm actually putting down my fork now and tasting my food. It's quite a revelation.

Besides, I love food and want to be able to enjoy it. this way, I really do enjoy my food (and don't have to eat as much.)

I haven't weighed, but my clothes are starting to get looser. The exercise thing is easy for me because I love to exercise.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    They'll come a day when this becomes such second nature that I will not use a food log.
    But the instant my weight creeps up, I'll run back fast.
    Why?
    Because I know what works!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I dont see me stopping anytime soon. I have to far to go and as I've shown before I cant do it on my own. It holds me accountable for now. Maybe at maintenance time I'll feel more secure and weigh in only but I refuse to let myself get back to my old weight again. So I'll take the time needed and continue logging! For me, if it's not broken, dont change it!
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I could see not logging once I reach my ultimate goal weight... I think right now I have a pretty good idea of the calories in all my food, but I need to log it because I don't really have the wiggle room I'd have in maintenance. Since I am in a deficit still, I want to make sure I know if I go over, or frequently I am under too, and need to go eat a spoonful of almond butter to hit at least 1200.
  • ann162
    ann162 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have only been on here 5 days but I have noticed that logging everything I eat is making me more aware of what I am eating. I can stay with in a set amount of calories every day with out logging, but with the logging I am seeing where I could do better with the foods I am eating
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I usually log religiously, but pretty much stopped for 3 weeks over the run up to xmas/new year and gained 5lbs :cry:
    I've restarted and the xmas pounds are coming off. :smile: I need to be able to gage my food intake without logging so once i'm at goal i'll stop but continue to weigh myself each week and only track my calories if my weight goes up by more than 3lbs (need to allow a little leeway in life!).
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    I usually log religiously, but pretty much stopped for 3 weeks over the run up to xmas/new year and gained 5lbs :cry:
    I've restarted and the xmas pounds are coming off. :smile: I need to be able to gage my food intake without logging so once i'm at goal i'll stop but continue to weigh myself each week and only track my calories if my weight goes up by more than 3lbs (need to allow a little leeway in life!).

exactly this...

7lbs over christmas... those 7lbs originally took me ages to loose through diet and running, all piled back on again over 3 weeks :(

Whenever I stop logging food when I am trying to lose weight I find myself piling it back on again as my memory and maths sucks so I guess I don't keep track of calories in my own head too well :P
  • pratod
    pratod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I find it really hard to log when I am at college because I eat in the dining hall and can't always know what exactly went in to the food I've eaten - I just ate healthy and only checked in on here now and then last semester and still lost 10lbs, You have to know yourself though and decide if you need the accountability factor.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't but I have time since I am retired. It works for me as I need to be held accountable. Hopefully, I will continue.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that kind of likes logging stuff? Not only because it's healthy, but looking up new recipes and such and tracking everything has kind of become a "hobby" of mine that I actually enjoy, as weird as that sounds haha. When I've been thin in the past I kind of kept track of calories in my head, I figure this is the same thing but I like how it's concrete. I don't know that I'll ever stop doing it even when I reach my gw. I guess something to consider if you dislike logging would be to stop when you get to your gw, but make sure you weigh yourself every week and if you start to gain, go back to logging. If you don't gain, then you know you don't need to!