wedding dress alterations

Options
So here's a weird question.... I was previously engaged and have an absolute gorgeous gown from it and want to wear it if I finally do get married, but I'm planning on loosing at least 20 more pounds before that day comes.... how hard would it be for me to get the dress altered and will it look the same?

Replies

• mrsvampette
    mrsvampette Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    well it depends on the fabric of the dress and the seams. You might want to consult a seamstress for this. Sometimes if you take a dress in too much it will not look the same. Hope this helps.
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    also depends on the style of dress and where the alterations need to be made
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on the style and material of the dress. Some can be taken in more than others. I wouldn't even worry about it right now though, when the time comes, you may want a whole new dress to go with a whole new man! Just focus on you and getting healthy!! Good Luck!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The general rule is you can take in at least 2 sizes without affecting the look of the dress. Of course, that is just being general. Not every dress can be altered that much.

Your best bet is to talk to a seamstress to get a better idea.
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    If you do decide on getting it altered (and not on a new dress), make sure to bring it in at least a month in advance of the wedding, the place I bought mine at didn't get back to me for a long time, then claimed they couldn't find the dress when I finally went in! Everything ended up okay but just make sure to have a time buffer! ;) If it's a good seamstress it SHOULD look nearly the same after (but also might cost a bit more).
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Well depends on the design.. if you look at my profile picture on here (right side picture).. that dress started at a 16... well I was never a 16 they had me order it that way.. I was a 14 when I started... well lost about 30lbs.. they had to size the dress down to about a 7/8.... didnt change the look of it at all...but the lady put a stop on the weight loss at that point I had to stop for about 3 months before my sister in laws wedding..
  • jhebert87
    Options
    It's an A line dress from david's bridal... it has a corset bodice and a full skirt so I'm hoping that the corset will be ok enough ... I wasnt sure if corset bodices can be taken in... it's style V9665 if anyone can give me an opinion on it