Healthy Icecream Options?

Options
wrevhn
wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
I love icecream! And crave it more in the winter oddly. I know its dumb calories for the good stuff, so what options are there that are tastey but not killer cal loads? anyone?

honestly, i like dairy more than I should period.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    http://dairyfreecooking.about.com/od/occasionscollections/tp/bestdairyfreeicecream.htm

Here are some great ideas!
    Personally, I use a frozen banana with a little almond milk in the food processor with either vanilla or cocoa powder. Tastes just like soft serve :D
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love all the SkinnyCow products. Low in calories but high in creamy, delicious taste. The sandwiches are pre-portioned so I find it easier to stick to a reasonable number of calories. If you give me a half-gallon and expect me to stick to a serving, yeah right.
  • bt_13_21
    bt_13_21 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use a frozen banana with a little almond milk in the food processor with either vanilla or cocoa powder. Tastes just like soft serve :D

I was just going to say that! I use regular milk, but it's the same thing otherwise. Frozen banana, a little milk. Sometimes I just eat it as is! Other times I drizzle a tiny bit of choc syrup on it with a few peanuts. Kinda tastes like either a banana split or a tin roof sundae!

I have also popped a single serving size of yogurt in the freezer. That's good too.
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    there are some singing serving ice creams from skinny cow and they're the cutest things ever! i don't think they're more than 200 calories.
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    Freeze a banana, add some peanut butter. Deeeelicious!
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Breyers Vanilla Ice Cream
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myarcticzero.com/

Check this out. I found a Coffee Flavored Artic Zero pint that is 150cals for the whole pint! Unfortunately I also could only find it at whole foods for about $4 per pint. frozen bananas, vanilla and almond milk are the cheaper alternative
  • pinkcaz
    pinkcaz Posts: 14
    Options
    Hiya,

Not sure where in the world you are but I just found Sainsbury Caramel Choc Ice and they are 131 calories but are very yummy and really kick my sweet and ice cream urges :-) x
  • jid314
    jid314 Posts: 71
    Options
    2 things.

1. Frozen yogurt. Tastes the same with half the calories. I always thought of just regular yogurt when I ehard "frozen yogurt," never realized it was basically just healthier ice cream. Think Red Mango, Froyo, Orange Leaf, etc.
    2. My wife buys 190 calorie cups of Edy's ice cream - butterfinger, caramel, etc. Not just plain jane stuff but really good ones!
    I love icecream! And crave it more in the winter oddly. I know its dumb calories for the good stuff, so what options are there that are tastey but not killer cal loads? anyone?

honestly, i like dairy more than I should period.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving ice cream, no substitute is going to cut it.

Edy's Slow Churned. We like the rich, creamy texture better than regular ice cream. It has 1/2 the fat and 1/3 fewer calories than regular ice cream. No kidding ... in a blind taste test, my entire family and extended family preferred the slow churned to regular flavors.

Any of the plain flavors (coffee, chocolate, french vanilla, vanilla bean, neapolitan) have 100 calories per 1/2 cup. The other flavors have between 110 and 130 calories per 1/2 cup.

Measure exactly what you will take as your serving. Put away the carton. Eat very slowly with a tiny spoon and take the time to savor every mouthful.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Soydelicious. I love that "icecream". They make a great neopolatin flavor.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I eat the sugar-free pudding cups. That, or turkey hill light ice cream, nothing like the real thing (in moderation)
  • JennL418
    Options
    If I'm craving ice cream, no substitute is going to cut it.

Edy's Slow Churned. We like the rich, creamy texture better than regular ice cream. It has 1/2 the fat and 1/3 fewer calories than regular ice cream. No kidding ... in a blind taste test, my entire family and extended family preferred the slow churned to regular flavors.

Any of the plain flavors (coffee, chocolate, french vanilla, vanilla bean, neapolitan) have 100 calories per 1/2 cup. The other flavors have between 110 and 130 calories per 1/2 cup.

Measure exactly what you will take as your serving. Put away the carton. Eat very slowly with a tiny spoon and take the time to savor every mouthful.

I am right there with you!!
    Hi my name is Jenn and I am addicted to ice cream!! lol
    I have a small 1 cup food prep bowl that I use as my ice cream bowl. I too like the slow churned ice cream, full flavor half the cals. Lately I have been all about fudge bars. They are only 80 calories per bar and it takes me longer to eat them that it does to shovel, er I mean delicately spoon, ice cream into my mouth!! :smile:
  • ngcgurl03
    ngcgurl03 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i love skinny cow mint chocolate chip it is so good mushed in between 2 chocolate cookies.mmmmmm low calories too
  • killingtheantagonist
    Options
    I like Blue Bunny products.
    It's kind of pricey, but I love it.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Second the Skinny Cows.

My wife and I also regularly buy Edy's Slow Churned - it's lower sugar and 1/3 less fat or something like that. Ranges in the 110-140 calories per serving and tastes pretty good. Just recently had the Touchdown Sunday limited edition. Deeeee-lish.

Breyer's also has their "Breyers Blasts" which is, I think the same concept as the Edy's Slow Churned. Not bad, either.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas! Yum!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Froyo Zone
    Pinkberry
    Cherry on Top

All of these new (toppings on yogurt) shops have a 100 calorie for 3 oz. option in their selection.

Just choose the fresh berries for toppings and you're in the clear for a low-cal and delicious treat - and it's even one you can go OUT for.

BTW - if you only get a small scoop of berries for toppings it's REALLY cheap - they charge by the ounce and all the weight is in the butterfinger, snicker, nuts, chocolate, butterscotch toppings that you really don't need anyway. I can usually take the whole family (3 of us) out for less than $8.

Cake Frosting flavor is my favorite.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love the skinny cow chocolate truffle bars, but now I'm going to have to try the frozen banana!
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I get the Dove Ice Cream Miniatures and only have one a night, they have around 60 calories.