Help! HR questions. I need to figure this out.

Options
Okay, so I am 35 years old 5' 6 139 lbs, I am pretty active. I work out approx 4 times a week at the gym. Im concerned about my HR. I have a Polar FT4 so I get pretty accurate readings. My resting HR is usually around 50- 60, when I am grocery shopping its like 110-120 just to give you an idea. When I am at the gym and start running my HR easily climbs to 180, today my max was 188. When I get up that high I do not feel dizzy or sick, I really just want to keep going. But I am afraid I am hurting myself. But it does not feel like I am hurting myself. So I end up running intervals, to get back to a more normal rate. Once I get in the 130's (about 2 mins of walking) I will run again but it will climb back to 180 within a min or 2. So with intervals I average 160. But I dont want to run intervals, I want to run non stop but I am concerned about my HR.

So, can anyone tell me, am I hurting myself if I keep going? Or should I listen to the numbers and chill out a bit. If I have to chill out I just dont feel like I am getting a good workout. Please help me understand this all! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this :)

Replies

• DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Anyone? I just want to know if some people just have natural high #s. Or if I need to cool it?
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor - but my heart rate spikes pretty high when I run too and I don't feel dizzy so personally I just keep going but I listen to my body.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    do you have high blood pressure? My resting is 46 ( I am overweight though) but my hubby and I can be on ellipticals going the same rate with same resistance and his will go up to the 180's and mine is at 135-145. I have a low HR and low BP. He has high BP but is a normal weight...don't know, that's all I got :)
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Nope my blood pressure is always perfect. Even when pregnant I have always been spot on. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and my numbers sound just like yours. I am not too worried about it - I am more concerned about the really high calorie burn I get because I have to wonder if it's right!
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    your not hurting yourself however if this is something your concerned about then, yes, see your doctor. My HR sits at about 180 190 when i'm in the gym, i can go for an hour like this and nothing has happened. i happen to b diabetic too so i do have to mak sure my sugar doesn't plummet but other than that its all good. If u get pregnant obviously u have to b mindfull of ur HR but only u know ur body and if u feel dizzy or sick then slow down, simple as that!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    You have to remember, the heart rate pics up to get more oxygen to your muscles. It beats faster when you work harder because your muscles are working harder.

Now, I think 180bpm is pretty high so I'd think about things like medications you're taking, possibly for asthma and the like. Asthma meds, depression, migraine, those type of medications can easily affect your heart rate.

They say that the optimal heart rate is one that you get to and can still hold a conversation. If you find you cannot talk and run at 180bpm, you need to slow down your run, or talk to your doctor.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you are health in general you should not get to hung up on heart rate...I'm fit, healthy, and mine spikes up to 188 if I really work hard...
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I have a polar 4 as well. When I run I get up there and have even spiked the low 190's, I feel like my chest will explode. So, I slow down. If you feel good, then do it. But maybe a call to the Dr might ease your mind. Explain to the RN like you did to us and she can run it by the Dr and give you a call back. This way you don't get a office visit charge for a question. lol My happy point is high 150- low 160 range at my peak. I am 5'5" and 189# FYI
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

They say that the optimal heart rate is one that you get to and can still hold a conversation. If you find you cannot talk and run at 180bpm, you need to slow down your run, or talk to your doctor.
    Sorry, but "optimal" how? I cannot hold a conversation if I do speedwork, hills or just hard runs or work out hard with weights, but that does NOT mean there is something wrong with it......And I most definitely do not slow down just because I can't talk or my heart rate shows I'm working hard....

If the original poster is concerned, talk you your doctor, but please don't let something like heart rate keep you from going on if you feel good....

I was in a run club with a woman who religiously stopped running every time her HR monitor showed a bit of a spike a little higher that what the "book" told her...She was not doing herself or anybody else a favour....
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Thanks, I am healthy and I dont take any medication for anything. I don't have diabetes or depression. I just worry about the numbers. No I cant hold a conversation at 180, but isn't that the point? I'm working my *kitten* off and I don't want to slow down. I just want to know its okay. Sounds like others get the same high numbers and feel it's fine. That makes me more comfortable. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your thoughts!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Your numbers sound similar to mine and it hasn't stopped me! I seem to follow this pattern:

6 mph - avg around 160

6.5 mph - avg around 170

7-7.5 mph - avg around 180-185

I still feel fine and I've never let it stop me, and I haven't had any issues! I always feel really awesome after my runs!!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am healthy and I dont take any medication for anything. I don't have diabetes or depression. I just worry about the numbers. No I cant hold a conversation at 180, but isn't that the point? I'm working my *kitten* off and I don't want to slow down. I just want to know its okay. Sounds like others get the same high numbers and feel it's fine. That makes me more comfortable. Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your thoughts!

Actually it depends on what your goals are. If you are a distance runner, MOST of your running should be done at a rate in which you can hold a conversation.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My GF is 36 shorter and 103 lbs. When she runs on the treadmill above 6-6.5 mph her HR spikes to 190-195. She's NP and she says that for her age and physical condition is normal.
    What I know is the more trained you are (I'm talking many months and years here) in the same physical activity the lower the HR in the same conditions will be. Conditioning.
    I can push to 178-180 and I'm 44 and I don't feel like losing it.
  • DawnVanSlim
    Options
    Thank you ALL so much for your responses, I am really glad I have a place like this to get answers.