Thyroid problems?

Options
A few years ago I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and had to have my thyroid removed. Thus, my metabolism has been slowed, feels more like non-existent most days :) I have been adjusting my eating lifestyle and working out for the last couple years and I have been having alot of difficulties maintaining, or losing what I have gained. I am always researching my condition and I found this article. It gives a little more info than the normal, eat less exercise more mentality that I have always heard.

If you are currently experiencing thyroid problems or have hypothyroidism then the following info applies to you:

"However, for most patients, taking synthetic hormones alone will not be sufficient for managing weight. Eating a diet that is high in protein and fiber and low in processed carbohydrates and sugars is also essential to weight loss. Since the body no longer has the ability to manufacture certain types of proteins, eating a diet that is rich in animal proteins like eggs and meats can help compensate for the deficiency. Also, being cautious of the amount of sugars ingested is also important due to the decreased capacity to turn the sugar into energy. Even with medication, the bodies of individuals without a thyroid will first attempt to turn ingested sugar into stored fat before it utilizes it as energy."

"At least 60 minutes of cardio daily is necessary to help the medications process ingested carbohydrates as well as deal with the easily accumulated stored fat. Strength training is also essential, as muscle burns calories continuously day and night and helps prevent the accumulation of fat."

Replies

• ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for this post. I am on synthroid and antidrepressants and not only find it hard to be motivated but find it harder to even lose the weight to get some motivation. This is a constant struggle and totally understand others who have to deal with it. When i was healthy I had no problem kicking butt on a daily basis. Our health can determine so much !
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also found this:

Foods to avoid on hypothyroid diet: walnuts, soy beans, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, turnips, cassava,pine nuts, millet, mustard, tea, coffee, alcohol, peaches, strawberries, peanuts, tofu and processed carbohydrates

Foods recommended on hypothyroid diet: cinnamon, blueberries, avocado, flax seeds, cayenne, hemp seeds, grapefruit and dairy products
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Totally agree!! I have such a hard time, and I do watch what I eat, and I do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day. It just isnt enough. I guess I am really going to have to be more specific about what I eat and add more exercise. The losing weight is the hardest part, it takes alot of extra effort.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link to the article online? I would agree with most of the statements as I have lost my weight through a high protein low carb diet!
  • Jeannemum
    Options
    Thanks for that information. Interesting read!
  • raven23uk
    raven23uk Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. :wink:
  • kitkat40
    kitkat40 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links, I've been battling a Throid problem for years! They just increased my medicine up to 175mg which i think is really high so i want to do everything possible to not get it raised again!
    Thank You again,
    Kathy
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, a real interesting read. I was diagnosed last March with pre clinical thyroidism. Its my brain that is effected and the chemical my brain makes and send to my thyroid so basically the process before my thyroid. If I take my tablets daily then Im fine symptoms wise but noticed it very hard to lose weight, if i dont take my tablets i see normal weight loss but then I would also suffer with memory loss so hopefully this article will help me lose the weight without losing my mind!
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I also found this:

Foods to avoid on hypothyroid diet: walnuts, soy beans, broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, turnips, cassava,pine nuts, millet, mustard, tea, coffee, alcohol, peaches, strawberries, peanuts, tofu and processed carbohydrates

So do you know why these foods should be avoided?

I don't eat most of them. But I do on occasion have broccoli and strawberries and well, I have coffee daily.
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    And I'd agree too with the thyroid issuing causes majorly slow weight loss. That makes it way harder to lose the last 5kgs I'm finding. But so does my contraception. I feel I eat pretty well and when I exercise I do a good amount. But I can only ever get within 3kgs of my goal weight and this is driving me nutz! I have an under-active thyroid. Which was a result of having my 2nd child.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I also found this:

Foods recommended on hypothyroid diet: cinnamon, blueberries, avocado, flax seeds, cayenne, hemp seeds, grapefruit and dairy products

Lol!.. well I've had mine since birth and eaten most of the top list for most of my life. I didn't actually have problems until my mobility problem first started in early 30's then my body wasn't converting the T4 meds to T3 properly THEN I started piling on weight... at first they thought I might have ME as had no energy but was found to be cos it wasn't converting properly, once they fixed this and I had energy to push myself around in maunal chair all day and go swimming hat soon burned calories back off.

I got down from 16st to 11st 7 once eating anything but moving alot.. again it medication side effects which caused weight to go back on again for me.. once they were removed I've been losing again from 12st 7.

I was 2 lb off hitting 10st then TOTM kicked in.. I am having problems with that recently as they have been a week late and ended up with cravings and water retention for 2 weeks of the month instead of just one, but hoping to be down to 10st for next sundays weigh-in.

Only foods I have cut out is nuts as I've had some severe allergic reactions to them in past and had to be rushed to hospital for adrenaline and steroids.. and I went low carb and cut out wheat as I was eating too much bread, wheat based cereal everyday and that's helped also with shrinking tummy. but tea is daily and not cutting my yorkshire tea, broccoli and alcohol I eat and drink weeky and still losing! I have managed to increase how much water I drink though too.

I''ve lost 32lbs total (this time) 13" off tummy and 7 " off waist down from uk size 20-14/16.. still need another 6" off tummy as jeans these days tend to designed for people who are straight up and down like skeletons!

I do find we tend to store it more around the tummy and have a very soft doughy abdomen, not sure if that's just cos of thyroid or the wheat too as it has shrunk since going mostly wheat free.