Oddly low heart rate.

Options
wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
I'm 31... 6'7 236 lbs... Resting heart rate is around 66-70

I'm using a simple (no chest strap, just fingertip) heart rate thingum and also double checking by manually counting/measuring.

During a (home video) kickboxing session, moving pretty good, I got to about 115 heart rate. My wife, who wasn't even moving as fast, popped up to 140 quick.

I did a bicycle sprint up a hill as hard as I could. At the top I measured 120 bpm.

Is this freakish/abnormal? Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    are you physically fit? those who work out more intensely don't have s high of a heart rate during exercise as others (their heart is more efficient at pumping blood). but your resting doesn't seem low enough for that to be the case....thats interesting
  • wellbert
    Options
    I've only been exercising for 4 months or so at this point. I wouldn't describe myself as fit.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Are you on any medications? Some medications have an effect on your HR. B/P meds, etc.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned, check with your doctor.
    It may just be that you naturally have a lower heart rate, or that your exercising is paying off!

I don't know what my resting hr was when I started out here a year ago, but now it's down under 60 (so my new Christmas present HRM tells me!) which is pretty low. I think that is related to all the endurance running I've been doing and my much increased level of fitness.
  • samantha1953
    samantha1953 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned discuss it with your doctor. Do you feel OK when exercising? If you're lightheaded there may be a problem. I am not in shape yet so my heart rate goes up fast if I think about moving. You're a big guy and may have a really strong efficient heart because of it. Get checked so you can rest easy.
  • My resting heart rate is around 50-60 and I am not physically fit.

Walking at a fast pace for 30 minutes my heart rate is approx 120-150

Dancing for thirty minutes 170-190
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Are you on any blood pressure medication such as beta blockers? That reduces your heart rate
  • wellbert
    Options
    Nope, no meds at all. Except NSAID some days when I've really overdone it ;)

I generally feel pretty OK during exercise. Though sometimes I will get a little woozey/black out for a few seconds the next day if I had a really intense session previous.

Maybe I will poke my doctor, then.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Normal is 60-100, healthier people tend to have rates on the lower end (50-60s).

Dizziness sounds bad and talking to your doc sounds like a good idea.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Check with your Doc but the low rate does not sound like a problem.

The dizziness does though. I have high blood pressure and for me dizziness is an issue with my pressure getting a little wacky when I push too hard or forget to drink enough water.

As for my heart rate, my standing heart rate is in the 40 - 50 range (was like this before the BP meds). I have checked manually and after a 3 min sparring round it gets up to the 140 range. However, since I started seriously training last summer it has become harder and harder to get my rate over 120. Running does it but skipping and general class calisthenics do not. I view this as a positive result of the work I have put into eating better and exercising.

As you have been at this for 4 months, perhaps you are seeing the same benefit?
  • jeffrey2584
    jeffrey2584 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    try a HIIT or a tabata workout and see if you can get closer to zone 5 or 6 (>80% of max heart rate)......