Another net calorie topic

Options
Here are my specs. Age 25-male-250 lbs. 5'10" sedentary lifestyle(office job with the fed government, tv, video games, drive everywhere)

MFP has my goal at 2160 a day. For the past 6 days I have been been eating an average of 1000(good for you food) calories a day. I have exercised at least an hour every day(vigorous for me). With those workouts I have been burning, underreporting here, 550 with just exercise. I drink plenty of water. I'm not worried about "the dreaded starvation mode" yet because I have so much fat. But believe me I am educated on it and will take into factor as I lose more fat. I weight train on top of cardio too.

So I have lost about 6.5(underreporting again) in these first six days. I guess what I'm baffled about is how easy this is. I dont hunger, sure I miss certain foods, but it seems too easy. Is it easy I guess to shed pounds quickly like this if I'm so fat? I feel great. I know it will get harder as I go and will need to eat more. My net is usually below 1000. So do take my goal of 2160 minus say 650 to know how many calories I burn a day? Please advise. I appreciate the help.

Replies

• kapfister
    Options
    Anyone?
  • BSNtobeach
    Options
    idk. I am new and I am trying to figure this stuff out too. But I thought that as long as I ate 1200 cal a day I was good. Now I'm not so sure. I have been a bit 'gung ho' at first too. I started working out a few weeks before I joined and I have been working out daily too. I am burning about 300-500 cal a day in the gym. My remaining calories has been around 800. I don't know if what I did is right, but I just switched my goal from the recommended 1 lb/wk to 1 1/2 lb/wk. It will reduce the 'remaining calories'. Again, idk if that is what I 'should' be doing. Hopefully someone else will know. Good luck to you!
  • Mia74
    Mia74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    To get how many calories your body uses per day to maintain your CURRENT weight you need to get your BMR (basal metabolic rate), which I believe a calculator is available on MFP. As for dropping your calories that low, don't do it. If you start out too low, there's no where to go when you plateau except to add more cardio/weights.

So, whatever your daily calorie amount is, as long as its UNDER what your BMR is, you should lose weight. Maintain this level until your weight stops dropping, then its time to lower calories again. And take into account how many calories you lose from exercising even though it appears that you might be going over your daily given amount. You have to do this or you end up in the same situation of your calories being too low.

Here's my example:
    My BMR is 2100 so my daily calorie intake to lose weight is set at 1500, which gives me a 600 calorie deficit per day. If I maintain this 7 days a week that's a weekly deficit of 4200 calories from my diet alone, which is enough to lose on pound per week.

Now say I do some type of activity that burns off an extra 200 calories per day for a total of 1400 calories per week. MFP is designed to add those calories back into your weekly, or rather daily, calorie total so that your deficit remains at 600 per day. IF I don't eat enough calories to make up the difference from exercising I'll still lose weight, but then my daily calorie deficit is lowered even further to 800 per day.

So basically, this puts you in the same situation of starting your calorie deficit too low and then not having anywhere to go later. Its tempting to start super low for quick results but its better and easier to keep off when you start moderate, lose slower, and then have the option of lowering in the next several months. Hope this makes sense!
  • kapfister
    Options
    So you are saying i lose weight fast but it will be harder to lose once i lose say 50 lbs.
  • Mia74
    Options
    Yep. This happened to me about five years ago. I had dropped too low and worked out too much and hit a wall. BUT-out of fear-I never increased my calories or busted through it. Then I felt defeated, started eating too much, working out too little and basically gained the weight back. It can really screw with your head so this time around I'm sticking with the 1500 for now, eating extra if I work out so that my body has enough fuel to recover and its working.
  • Mia74
    Options
    If you'd need help with this a bit more feel free to friend me! :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wasn't worried about it either, until I happened to me after ten pounds and I stalled for a month. I eat at my goal now and I'm dropping weight a lot faster. My BMI is probably much higher than yours as well. I would really recommend eating your goal, and eating back your calories. The first week or two was easy too, but again, I stalled. I suppose you'll do what works for you though, just offering some friendly advice.
  • jeni_Giedd
    Options
    I actually try to eat about 150 calories below my target amount in case my exercise calories are wrong. I've been told that MFP isn't quite accurate on the calories for many of the exercises. If the red warning comes up I try to eat something healthy, like an apple, with natural sugars that will dissipate easily.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I personally would be so hungry at 1000 a day. I usually workout pretty hard and have increased my metabolism by doing this. Right now, u r just starting. If you keep eating only 1000 cal a day and working out, u will eventually need more food to feed your metabolism. I know that is hard to believe but it is true. I would start eating more, healthy food. Keep exercising. You will eventually start feeling deprived too at only 1000 cal and that will take u into an eating binge. Trust me. I have battled this for years and have already made these mistakes!! Good luck on your journey!
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump