Is it okay to eat after 7pm at night?

Options
I try not to eat after 7. Need some insight on this.

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    yes, it's fine
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For me, part of it is pausing to judge why I'm eating. If it's dinner, like tonight, then yes, definitly. If it's eating after a workout, then yes! But if it's eating simply because I'm bored/ a case of the late-night munchies, that's my bedtime alarm. It also depends on when you wake up in the morning. I know that times when I don't eat after dinner, which is usually at about 6:30 at night and wake up later the next day, I'm so hungry I could eat a horse! What I have to keep reminding myself that my body needs power to get thru the night.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    It's the number of calories you eat, not when you eat that matters.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Perfectly fine just hit your goal. That myth arose because people tend to choose less nutritious calorie laden food and snacks during the late night hours.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    as long as you have calories left - you could eat until the second your head hits the pillow.
  • lilyflor
    lilyflor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat too late either, but I if I haven't reach my goal calories for the day then I will have a snack or I will eat right at 7pm but try no later than 9pm, is just because I don't feel is good to go to sleep on a full stomach. Try not to eat at least one hour before bed time because supposedly your body don't know the time so it doesn't matter. Just don't go over your calories. Anyway I'm no expert and a while ago I looked it up too, here is a article I found to help. Hope it does for you!

http://www.intense-workout.com/eating_late.html
  • DarrellHodge
    Options
    I think. It' a matter of. Knowing. Your body; some people can and some can't. Years ago(and I mean years..lol), when I was into body building, I would cut off eating at 6 PM. Over time I noticed that my body took that as a signal to go into starvation mode and start hoarding fat calories. MI learned toeat a small snack right before bed and drop another 2% body fat(which I had previously. Thought was impossible. That is not for everybody and back then I was eating less than 800 calories a day when competiing. Long story short, learn how your body reacts to it and you'll be fine.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i have to eat late, i typically don't go to bed until sometime between 12 and 3 and then get up at 8:45, i am usually pretty hungry in the morning if i ate too early the night before and then i want to eat too much for lunch!
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    its fine. you just dont really wanna eat right before you go to bed because your confusing your body. it wants to be in sleep mode but also digestive mode at the same time. you just want to leave a good hour before you eat and then sleep. but if thats eating dinner at 8:30 and sleeping at 10 thats perfectly fine
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Only if you are hungry. Eat light and low fat. Preferable diary to help you sleep better. Maybe a tiny bowl of low cal cereal with skim milk. Stay away from spicy, greasy, heavy foods.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Honestly, 7 p.m. is such an arbitrary number! What wake-up, lunch, dinner time, etc. is that hard-and-fast rule based on, you know?

Some of us keep much later schedules by necessity :) I have eaten after 7 p.m. every. single. day. since I started losing over 50 lbs, and the timing of my last meal of the day has never made a difference, ever. Just stay within your calorie allotment and do what works best for you! Good luck!