Meatless Monday Challenge!

Options
A new growing sensation to promote cleaner eating with more fruits and veggies is Meatless Monday. I'd like to challenge everyone to jump on the bandwagon, and post what you plan to make here if you are game! Tomorrow, I am going to make homeade low-fat/low-cal spinach ravioli with roasted red pepper sauce and steamed vegetables. What will you make for dinner?

Replies

• briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    have to check out my fridge..... sounds like a good idea though as I can take meat or leave it...
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...i did find a recipe on skinnytaste for spinach baked ziti...i could try that...even though I HAD planned to make turkey chili. Decisions decisions...
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    It's halfway through Monday here, so I might try this next week!
  • ingbaden
    Options
    Roasted Eggplant, tomatoes, and garlic. Served with lowfat feta, cucumber yogurt sauce and pita bread.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I stick with meatless Fridays, in proper old school Catholic fashion ;)

Though there is usually more than one day a week I don't end up eating meat.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Roasted Eggplant, tomatoes, and garlic. Served with lowfat feta, cucumber yogurt sauce and pita bread.

Nom, nom, nom....filing away for future dinner idea!!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    I stick with meatless Fridays, in proper old school Catholic fashion ;)

Though there is usually more than one day a week I don't end up eating meat.

So funny! I grew up Catholic, but it was post-Vatican II, so we only did that during lent.
  • ingbaden
    Options

Nom, nom, nom....filing away for future dinner idea!!

It is so yummy. Toss with olive oil before roasting and sprinkle with oregano. I use 1TBS of olive oil for 2 eggplants and 6 roma tomatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes. Warms up really well too.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm "mostly" meatless on Mondays...and most days up until dinner...haven't been abl to completely give it (meat) up, but would like to someday...tomorrow is MLK day and I'm off of work. I made a big pot of vegetable soup yesterday, so I'm having that for lunch and think I'll make pesto tortellini for dinner...
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We're "meatless" every day. Monday would be "OMG what can we make for dinner that's fast/easy?" I'm thinking that tomorrow we'll be tired from travel, and will eat a bowl of soup... I think I have some butternut squash soup... with a bit of salad.

We do a lot of baked potatoes and yams. Especially yams. They bake up so nice, are so very healthy, and don't require "toppings".
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh that sounds great…the husband may not like it but whatever….he can get over it!

I do believe I will be having spaghetti squash baked with a little marinara and parm on top. Breakfast will be mushroom and tomato omelet and lunch will be a nice big salad.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Crustless quiche but this looks great!

http://janetandgreta.com/recipe/easy-peasy-orzo-salad/
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Oh, not for me. Meat is the cats meow. Good luck and enjoy though!
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Anything from my freezer full of MorningStar and Boca products..yummy!
  • jessbatts
    Options
    My husband is a complete vego from birth so we cook no meat in our house at all!!! At first it was so hard for me to adjust but now its so good!!

There is so many recipes out there for veg food and they are all delicious!! Try making bean burritos, veg lasagne, stir frys, currys, soups and salads!!! Its endless :)

Its so much cheaper as well.. So if you're trying to cut the grocery bill try and have 2 meat free dinners per week.!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I chose to do "Meat Saturdays", so it's a bit opposite. Anyway. My meatless option for tonight was vegetarian stuffed bell peppers for two (me and hubby. Tomorrow is a black bean and rice lettuce wrap with rotel tomatoes for sauce... um and I found an awesome vegetarian enchilada recipe. All low calories of course! :))

Vegetarian stuffed bell peppers

• 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
    • 1/2(15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 2-1/4 teaspoons chili powder
    • 2 green bell peppers
    • 2 slices Kraft fat free pepper jack cheese
    • 1/2 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Rotel- lime and cilantro)
    • 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
    • Lite Sour cream
    • 2 cups Spinach
    • 1 tbls Minced garlic
    Onion Powder or garlic powder to taste

Cook/heat -black beans, spinach, mushrooms, minced garlic in juice from tomatoes (no oil needed). Add garlic and onion powder
    Mix all the above ^^^with rice and add to bell peppers.
    Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes… Until peppers are soft and lightly browned
    Top with 1 slice of pepperjack cheese per pepper.
    Put sour cream and diced tomatoes as a side or dipping sauce
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Yum! These all look wonderful! Keep the ideas coming!