Fat grams per day?

Options
How many fat grams a day should I be having to really lose weight? I see that so many people have over 40 fat grams a day on a 1200 to 1600 calorie a day diet. I try to keep mine under 30. Some people have well over 50 or 60. How can you lose weight that way?

Please bear with me during this learning experience.

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Mfp set me up with 62 grams of fat a day, but I don't have that many in a day.
  • chrissyKar
    chrissyKar Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    yes I have heard about 60 grams is the amount. But its also to remember the good fats like olive oil, fish oil ( from tuna etc of course or can get the supplements), avocado, nuts & seeds :happy:

There are lots of ways to get enough fats, its just the healthy ones we don't always have enough of in our diets.
    I am taking fish oil supplements after being advised by a dietitian , its really good for your heart
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    How many fat grams a day should I be having to really lose weight? I see that so many people have over 40 fat grams a day on a 1200 to 1600 calorie a day diet. I try to keep mine under 30. Some people have well over 50 or 60. How can you lose weight that way?

Fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. You can lose weight eating an all fat diet if your calories are right (not advocating this, just sayin!)

I personally set my goal for 25% of my total of 1550 calories. This is because you can't choose grams on this website, and 25% correlates with about 0.3 g per pound of my body weight which is what I have learned is healthy and works for me.
  • ntm76
    ntm76 Posts: 25
    Options
    Just like sugar, there are good and bad fats. If your fat is coming from things like nuts, healthy oil, and even oatmeal do not worry but if you are eating unhealthy fats from fried food, high fat meats or skin from poultry then you need to make sure that they are consumed very minimally.
  • dreamzvt
    Options
    Good stuff, Thank you all :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Fat doesn't necessarily make you fat. Excess calories makes you fat. You can lose weight eating an all fat diet if your calories are right (not advocating this, just sayin!)

I personally set my goal for 25% of my total of 1550 calories. This is because you can't choose grams on this website, and 25% correlates with about 0.3 g per pound of my body weight which is what I have learned is healthy and works for me.

THIS.

Fat's should be set at a minimum not a maximum.
  • konnichiwhey
    konnichiwhey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, 20 - 30% of total calories \(^o^)/
    I like to keep my macros around 40/40/20
    40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fat!
  • zumbagada
    zumbagada Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How do you change your macros? For some reason, MFP has set me up with more than 3x as many carbs as proteins, and that sounds way too carb heavy for me. How do you figure out what a good macro ratio is?
  • Mardill
    Mardill Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about Total Fats. I keep an eye on Saturated Fats. Your body/brain needs fat to function properly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    How do you change your macros? For some reason, MFP has set me up with more than 3x as many carbs as proteins, and that sounds way too carb heavy for me. How do you figure out what a good macro ratio is?

Click Search and type in "change macros" - you are not the first.
  • konnichiwhey
    konnichiwhey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can change your macro % in the goal settings. I think you have to choose 'custom setting.' One ratio doesn't necessarily work for everyone. It's pretty much trial and error unil you find one that works for you.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html

see the bottom of that link