I've Maintained THREE years...and counting! :)

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hi guys!

Well, today.....1/15/2012 is my THREE YEAR anniversary of meeting my goal weight. :drinker: :drinker: I lost 135 lbs in 16th months!! :)

It's been three years full of ups and downs, celebrations and not so great times. I guess I am especially proud today because losing the weight is a lot of hard work, takes patience and willpower.......but keeping it off is a whole other ballgame. But because the way I did it this time...was DIFFERENT than any other time before....losing it slowly and healthy, educating myself and slowly making changes and inching into a new way of living......keeping it off...while not EASY..is not exactly difficult either. It just IS. Because the way I live is different than before.

Since meeting my goal weight, I had a second baby! He's now over 2. I also went through a pretty nasty divorce as well as many other life changes...job, friends, etc. I've had an eye opener about who my true friends are. I don't know if it was losing weight...or getting divorced..but there was a lot of ugliness from so called "friends"..during one of the most difficult times of my life. But the way I see it, my "circle" has been narrowed down...but in a good way! :) I much prefer quality over quantity.

My point is that life does not have to derail you. I didn't let it. I WOULDN'T let it. I made my health and my sanity a priority as without that, my boys would not have the mother they deserve. The gym is my stress relief now. Wow, who would have ever thought that would happen?! :laugh:

I never assume I've "got this"...and I pray regularly for continued strength to do this. But I feel pretty confident and that's because I did it without suffering or feeling like I was "missing out". That's so important. We don't want food to define us or define happiness however....food is a part of celebrations and we all deserve to enjoy it. The key is controlling it..not allowing it to control you.

Just keep on....know that it IS possible to do this and it IS possible to keep it off. I am physical proof of it!

Good luck! I know you can do it!! :)

xoxoxo
-Tam

P.S. for those that recently joined. Here are a couple of threads I started. One is how I did it..and the other is my before and after pics. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81336-the-keys-to-my-success?error_user_id=39610&error_username=TamTastic&hl=the+keys+to+my+success

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/129824-tamtastic-before-and-after?error_user_id=39610&error_username=TamTastic&hl=Tamtastic+before+and+after

Replies

• pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    Three years already? I remember you hit your goal right after I joined. Proud of you Tam.
  • sanifrey
    sanifrey Posts: 2,355 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You continue to amaze, inspire, support & motivate! Thank you!!
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You are a great inspiration to everyone ... I love your post keys to success! Very awesome that you've kept it off too
  • Nosila0815
    Nosila0815 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on maintaining. That is one of my biggest fears and I am so close to my goal. Thanks for being an inspiration and showing that I can take it off and keep it off.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 3rd year anniversary! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Such an amazing story, you are a true inspiration! Thanks for sharing and congrats! x
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,000 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on keep it off, it truly is a HUGE accomplishment especially through having a baby and divorce. WOW you are such a strong person and good for you for not letting it derail your efforts. I am so close to goal only 5 more lbs to reach 100 lb loss but learning to maintain seems so scary....:frown:
  • Spedden
    Spedden Posts: 207
    Options
    Thanks so much for writing! I've been nervous about maintaining. Taking it off was very gratifying, watching the scale go down and shopping for smaller clothes. If you can do it with 2 small children and while going through a divorce, though, that gives me inspiration. I like what you wrote, that life doesn't have to derail you. The best of everything to you and your loved ones! :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    I love it when you post. Congratulations on your outstanding continued success, and not just in the weight loss.

You have been a beacon of hope for many, and a powerful source of positivity.

I wish you many more years of healthy living.

Cheryl
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    Maintaining is the hardest part and you have proved that nothing can defeat you! Inspirational!:smile:
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    :heart: Just went and peeked at your before and afters OMG you have done an amazing job :bigsmile: Big kudos especially with everything that has gone on during it you are a strong woman and a big inspiration :drinker:
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I joined two years ago and I read your posts over and over again that first year.
    I never assume I've "got this"...and I pray regularly for continued strength to do this. But I feel pretty confident and that's because I did it without suffering or feeling like I was "missing out". That's so important. We don't want food to define us or define happiness however....food is a part of celebrations and we all deserve to enjoy it. The key is controlling it..not allowing it to control you.

Just keep on....know that it IS possible to do this and it IS possible to keep it off. I am physical proof of it!

Good luck! I know you can do it!! :)

xoxoxo
    -Tam

I remember this being one of your messages and it's helped me organize my thinking during my first year. I've lost 95 pounds now and I'm slowly easing into "maintenance." In truth, I don't believe in maintenance - my weight loss is slowing down and how I eat and exercise now is how I intend to continue for the rest of my life. Your example taught me the importance of that.

I'm so glad you came back and posted. It's so unusual to hear from someone who has successfully kept it off and it means a lot to know that it is possible!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Thank you for posting :flowerforyou:

I am 1lb from goal, which I have probably surpassed but I haven't been on the scale for 2 weeks - Why you ask, FEAR!!!

To be honest I'm scared to weigh in because for me the loss has been easy this time, I've had a shift in my thinking as far as my body and food goes. It's maintaining that I have always had a problem with and I don't want to go back ever again, but reading your post I see that it can be done as long as I am as diligent in the future as I am now.

Congratulations and Thank you for inspiring me!!!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear from all of you and to know it helps! I know it helps me to hear of people keeping it off. My way of life is just THAT..it's not a lifestyle change in process..or losing weight. It's just how I live now. I changed my brain. I think that is the only way to be succesful in maintenance. If you think of it as temporary or a diet...then it won't last. If you look at it as a new way of living and do it in a way that is EASY to do because you've figured out what works for you....then you will succeed!! :)

I know how scary maintenace is. But it doesn't have to be. Just stay in control. If you can lose it you can definitely keep it off. No doubt about it!!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I remember that day, we were and are still soooo proud of you!!!!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous at the moment and you look like you worked really hard to look so wonderful! You're so accomplished and inspirational. :] <3
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I am WAY more impressed by maintenance stories than I am with weight loss stories.

I am convinced that diets don't work - long term. Only a lifestyle change works and your story proves it.

Congrats again, and thanks for telling your story!
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    So proud of you! You really are a big inspiration!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Great post and even greater job well done! Thanks for sharing!
  • WalkWell
    Options
    I have had weight fluctuations most of my life, but this time am doing it slowly and reeducating myself too. (on here I lost 5kg, but the year before I joined I lost 16kg), so it IS encouraging to hear you say that by doing that way maintenance becomes natural enough.

thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!