What are your "diet rules" while counting calories?

Options

Replies

• george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My main rule is to try and have home cooked meals - generally stir frys or meat with vegies.

I hate cooking, so will generally try and score an invite to a mates for dinner and check out what their parents are cooking. I eat out WAY too often!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    My rules :bigsmile:

1) Log every calorie of every single day - NO. MATTER. WHAT.
    2) Macros are set to 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein - try to keep carbs green and make protein red
    3) Track fiber - set it to at least 35 grams and make it red also
    4) Drink at least 10 glasses of water a day
    5) Calories divided into at least 4 meals a day.
    6) Try to keep it clean

Other than that, anything is game!
  • curlykitty
    Options
    I don't have any rules yet, I only began 2 weeks ago, but I've lost 5 pounds. however, I just noticed my sodium levels are WAY over, so i will be focusing more on that in the future
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein up b/c it helps me stay within my calories.
    I used to worry about water, but since I stopped drinking pop, that part has gotten easier.

I am also trying to be more diligent about tracking than previous dieting attempts because I know that when I do it, I have success. When I don't, I don't. So, even though it's an extra effort - it's totally worth it.

I am relatively new to MFP and I have to say that I am really enjoying it!
  • CharismaticKestrel
    Options
    Dieting rules. Well I try to watch my sugar intake. This is for a couple of reasons, for one I know how horrible sugar can be for you, at least processed sugar. One candy bar for instance will knock your immune system down for 8 hours. But I have other reasons for watching my sugar too, I don't want diabetes for one, and lastly when I consume sugar I start craving it more usually which doesn’t help my dieting one little bit!

That being said I don't deprive myself of things I want to eat when I can fit them into my calorie goal for the day. I've learned from years of failed diets and mistakes that I have to allow myself to indulge or ‘have a break’ on a regular basis or I tend to 'fall off the wagon', go way overboard and attack a Dunkin Doughnuts store or something. Allowing myself to have one doughnut or whatever when I get a craving and then watching my calories for the rest of the day works much better. I suppose you could look at that as a rule or the lack of one! Ha! The one rule I don’t budge on is logging the food I eat! I have to log it no matter what! Other than that I don’t have a lot of rules. I just try to drink water whenever I can and make healthy choices whenever possible too.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Do you limit your carbs? Eat them only in the morning? Drink only water? Whatever it is I would like to know what rules do you have for yourself and how is it working for you?

I try and meet my macros (carbs, protein, fat) and try and have a well balanced diet and get my vitamins through food.. these aren't diet rules though for me, they're just living rules.. for weight loss, I only really care about calories in vs calories out..
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    My rules for a day are, a vitamin, some tea, plenty water, and a banana, the rest is fair game
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The only rule is "Calories In / Calories Out". Everything you eat is calories. You have to decide what your calorie limit is and from there you will figure out amongt the different food groups what you can eat more of and less of to make it through the day with enough to eat and fuel for your body. The USDA pyamid is a good guide to use, be sure to track your intake daily.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My rules?

Whatever gets me through the day and to my goal.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I try to always be under by sodium by 300 grams, which I haven't been successful at lately, lots of protein, and I try to eat all my calories and drink 8 cups or more of water.
    I also make sure my food doesn't touch, eat food in a specific order, and chew my food 12 times.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Actually they are Michael Pollan's rules, but it works for me!
    I don't see the point in making it harder than it needs to be.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I quit having rules. I just eat at least my BMR calories every day. I drink a lot of water, and aim for 100 grams of protein a day. Other than that I don't worry.

^^^ THIS
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Try to drink mostly water, if I can I don't eat late at night, cut out fast food and eating out, try to eat 6 small meals rather than 3 larger meals, cut down on sugar and sodium. It's a work in progress!!!!
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love rules.

Mine are:

- I only drink water and milk
    - no caffeine (this is more for my headaches than anything else)
    - no fast food (I don't care if it's from the "healthy" Maccas range, I'm not eating it)
    - no alcohol
  • captainlindarg
    captainlindarg Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wish I could say I followed strict rules but I really don't. . But my biggest rule is to not beat myself up too much. I have a tendency, when I get a little off track on a given day, to want to throw that whole day away and start again the next day. If I can resist doing that, I'm much better off. Other than that -- count everything, drink a lot of water, and exercise whenever possible.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I minimize my carbs, then review my nutritional intake against calories from yesterday. Then decide to drop food which if the calorie is not worth the nutritional value. Example of this is butter....
    Just start this last week so I haven't lose any weight yet.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Rule #1-Consistency is Key
    Rule#2-Accident Forgiveness...when I goof, I need to get up, dust off, and keep on the journey.

On the daily "guidelines"...

1. Journal everything.
    2. No sodas...Tea, Water, Milk, or Juice.
    3. Be mindful of white carbs. They're ok to have, but maximize proteins and veggies.
    4. Aim to hit the MFP daily Fat/Fiber/Carb/Protein goals, but don't worry if I go over. It's about the CALORIES.
    5. Have fun!
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My only rule is try to stay under the calorie limit any way possible... although I do give myself an "over" day once in a while to be social.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My only rule is to log every. single. thing. even that pinch of raw sugar I ate as I poured the bag into its container. Yup.

And I don't deprive myself - if I want something, I work out so I can eat it. A lot of the time, I find the food isn't worth the calories and I make a healthier decision.
  • cathynlopez
    Options
    The only rule I have is to limit weighing myself to only once every six weeks. This way, I don't get discouraged if I'm not losing fast enough, and also, if I AM losing fasting enough, I don't want to somehow think it's okay for me to slip up.