Why use a restrictive dieting plan...

Options
I'm shaking my head on why people restrict foods out of their diets. There's a post of a member not eating pizza. Ok pizza isn't the healthiest choice out there but why cut it out all together? I'm not saying its ok to eat a large pizza by yourself but moderation is the point, its being sensible about the amounts you consume.

I'm not trying to start a heated debate, I'm just trying to understand. Restrictive diets to me seem like they fail more often than not because people crave the things they no longer have. Cut back on those things rather than eliminating them altogether. Weight loss is just like weight gain, it doesn't happen overnight.

:drinker:

Replies

• LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY agree. When people begin cutting things out completely is when you see people fail on their diets. It is all about moderation and giving yourself a "cheat day" every now and then. I loooove food and I loooove to eat! If I go over here or there, big deal. My tummy is happy and so is my mind :)

Just my opinion :D
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing some people hard to restrict portions.
    i.e. I can't eat just one small block of chocolate without eating the whole lot, so for me it's been easier to stop all together and now I don't crave it as much.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Nothing is out of bounds for me - I just work by 'concessions' - ie if you have pizza for one meal - no problems just don't have the other two meals at macca's or whatever else is high in calories and fat but not alot of nutrition!!! If you have chocolate - don't have the cake as well - that kind of thing. Just not all out with no control.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    pizza and beer are my favs.

i eat pizza all the time..because its high in protein (the cheeses)
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Portion control, basically. Unless there is a way for me to have a very specific portion, I'll often overeat. That, and it's hard to calculate where I get my pizza from because it's such a small shop, so I have to guess by what's already in the database. That, and for the calories in two slices of pizza I could be having a bunch more food.

Then again.. I DO have pizza. At most once a month, though.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing some people hard to restrict portions.
    i.e. I can't eat just one small block of chocolate without eating the whole lot, so for me it's been easier to stop all together and now I don't crave it as much.

That's how it is for me. For almost all foods, I'm okay with having them in moderation. However, there are certain things I literally just can't handle at this point. Maybe at some point when I'm further along in my journey, I will be able to add those things back in. Cookies is one big one for me. If I start eating them I will literally not be able to stop at 1 or 2. It's easier for me will power wise to just stay away rather than tease myself with one. I won't even allow them on a cheat day at this point, because even on a cheat day having 9 cookies has gone way above and beyond my "cheat meal." I'm not saying I'll never eat them again, just that I am taking a break while I get on my feet. Other foods, like pizza, I am okay with having on a cheat day and maybe having 3 slices. However, maybe pizza is someone else's weakness and they can't stop before they eat the whole thing. There are also a lot of healthier versions of pizza you can make at home. Since I live alone, I also have to be conscience of what leftovers I will have, and may shy away from things that can't be made in small portions.

ETA: There are also some foods that i have eaten in the past out of convenience, but now that I'm really watching what I eat I don't want to "waste" my "junk foods" on things I don't like that much anyway. For example, in the past I've eaten at Mcdonalds/Wendys a lot. If I'm watching what I eat and trying to limit these type of "cheat meals" to once a week, I certainly don't want to waste that on something as silly as Mcdonald's or Wendy's- I'd rather have something higher quality. During the week, I theoretically could fit these into my calories, but again have to remind myself that I don't really like these foods that much and would rather make something tastier. It's about being conscience about it and not just grabbing something because it was convenient like I did in the past.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda. My decison to do that was more medical than anything else. Found out I had diabetes. I haven't had any since Dec. 2009 and don't even miss it one bit! I don't have the diabetes anymore either so I could drink soda again but I don't miss it so I don't even bother.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, I just use portion control and moderation.

I also swapped a few things around, I love chocolate but they are really high in calories so I eat Atkins Endulge Bars instead, very tasty and the Crispy Chocolate is only 141 calories per 30g bar and it tastes the same as Nestle Crunch which is 168 calories for a bar the same size.

I found some bread is higher in calories than others so switched, same with butter etc.

I never restrict myself to anything but I eat in moderation.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your circumstances.. I can easily avoid junk food as I'm mostly housebound, have no car or help to get to pizza hut, mcdonalds etc as nearest town is some distance away and really expensive to get my powered chair there by wheelchair taxi bus (nearly a quarter of my monthly food bill just one way!)

I'd rather use the money to get healthy foods delivered to me. It makes it easier to stick to specific eating plan as there's only me to shop for too. As I only tend to get out for a meal a couple of times a year I don't tend to worry about calories as I usually have carvery so can have plenty of meat and veg and less potato. my treat is hot choc fudge cake and ice-cream and a few brandy and cokes!

I don't eat pizza's either but I try and stay mostly wheat free as its helped my diet, I rather have a big yorkshire pudding if i was going to break the my no wheat rule for something as a treat.

As long as its something the person will be able to stick to for most of the time and they enjoy the food I don't see it's a problem if they never eat Pizza or McDonalds ever again or save it for special occasions/holidays!

I also had problems with chocolate cravings and found glucomannan supplement works for me, I still have a little chocolate but don't get through as much, as the cravings aren't as strong for as many days either. I've no intention of cutting it out completely though for me as I love it, occasionally.. I jsut don't want to crave it for 2 weeks solid when my monthlies are playing up!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yep.... nothing off limits ... .just restraint.

I love my pizza and I enjoy a beer but not on the same day that I do nothing and have a burger as well.
  • WalkWell
    Options
    The history of the world, particularly Israel's religious history, if not our own personal histories evidence fairly convincingly that as soon as there is a rule there comes the desire to break it. As for me I have done heaps of don't eat diets. Even the dont eat carbs diets. They work for a while but they become painful and you give up and are in a worse place then than before. This time i am doing it the slow just learn moderation and self care way.
  • kala_rebecca
    Options
    I agree. I allow myself a small portion of the foods I love. I tried the low carb diet for awhile, but it didn't really work out because of the restriction. I have to admit, though, that starting a low carb diet and then allowing myself a more diverse and well proportioned diet later has helped me with cravings. This is a girl who could eat 5-6 bowls of cereal in one sitting. My portions were out of control.

You're right. Moderation is key.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm shaking my head on why people restrict foods out of their diets. There's a post of a member not eating pizza. Ok pizza isn't the healthiest choice out there but why cut it out all together? I'm not saying its ok to eat a large pizza by yourself but moderation is the point, its being sensible about the amounts you consume.

I'm not trying to start a heated debate, I'm just trying to understand. Restrictive diets to me seem like they fail more often than not because people crave the things they no longer have. Cut back on those things rather than eliminating them altogether. Weight loss is just like weight gain, it doesn't happen overnight.

You have to remember there are people out there who may be under professional medical advice to have a restrictive food-related lifestyle.

And Im just gonna come out here and be blunt, but you are so very misinformed with your "Restrictive diets to me seem like they fail more often than not because people crave the things they no longer have"....

I do not crave the foods I cant have anymore. For me, I took the time to get educated by medical professionals to learn more about my chemistry and makeup, Didnt cost alot of money to do but I learned about having a metabolic related disorder that the doctors cant even label with a damn name... And I have other medical afflictions.

Ive dropped almost 70 lbs as a result of being properly educated and having a team of physicians working with me.... That pizza you mentioned, I medically cannot have - I cannot digest the bread, most sauces used contain high amounts of added sugars....

Moderation for people like me, will never apply no matter what because most foods, will actually KILL me: no exaggeration. Even motivated me to have to vent it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cramernh?month=201201

I know of people who have chosen low-carbohydrate methods because these people have recognized they are truly addicted to pasta, rice, breads, potatoes, etc... to the point that these foods do in fact create problems, digestively, and health-wise.... And they are doing it very sound and very safe. And, are having positive health results...

Low carb diets by the way - are not painful.... not unless you are doing it appropriately, and in some cases under the advisement of registered dieticians or physicians with said training..
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Use portion control and enjoy an occasional pizza here and there will allow you to stay on track.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on your ability to stop. I mean you could say that to an alcoholic or drug addict but dabbling in something you are addicted is not always advisable. Sometimes you cannot just do portion control. How do you think we got fat in the first place. I personally have a lot of self control for most things so I do not need to cut out everything from my diet that I like but I have had to cut some things out due to intolerance. I LOVE cheese etc but I am dairy intolerant and I find that if cheese is around me, I have to eat it. I just can't stop so it has to be out of the house completely.

Oh and same goes for carbs. I have cut them right back and upped my protein. My diet was so heavy in carbs and I was bloated constantly. I feel loads better but if I want that sandwich I will eat it but with less bread and I have stopped eating most pasta and rice as I ate so much and did not exercise enough to burn the carbs off. I realised I had put on loads of weight, simply cause I was eating too much pasta, rice and high fat meats. I barely ate junk food, it was just the volume and what foods do not react well with my body.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I think the OP would probably concede that where there is a medical reason to eliminate something completely, people are justified in doing so. What is also true, though, is that for many people who don't have a compelling medical reason to give up a particular thing that they enjoy completely, doing so can often make a big difference in whether or not they are able to follow through with their healthier-eating plans. You have a sound, medically-advised reason to give up pizza completely, so, though not easy if it's one of your favourite foods, you are more likely to follow through with removing it from your diet, and staying on-track. For someone who has eliminated pizza, or any other food, simply because it's 'bad', the chances of them staying on-track are significantly reduced.

Speaking from personal experience, my diet is approximately 90% 'good', 10% what the diet industry would have us believe is 'bad'. The ten percent is what allows me to continue with the 90 % without getting too far off track, too often. If I removed that 10% completely under a restrictive diet plan, I would feel deprived and resentful, and would be more likely to return to around a 50-50 quotient of so-called 'good' and 'bad' foods. I have no compelling reason to give up my 10%, so I'm less likely to stick to any plan that requires me to give it up entirely, just because someone says so. It's the old carrot and stick adage!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    With me certain foods I just cannot control myself. Maybe someday. Just like an Alcholic I cannot have just one cookie or just a little bit of Ice Cream.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Ok, this is from my own perspective and experience...........

Eating in "moderation" isn't for everyone, just like restriction isn't for everyone else either...........We are all different.

Many people that have health conditions such as Celiacs Disease, Chron's Disease, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, etc should not have things like pizza.

Many people are emotional eaters and having a "trigger" food will cause an all out binge, so it is just best to stay away from it. No different than an alcoholic or a drug addict.

There are many reasons that a restrictive eating plan is needed and warranted.

Don't be so quick to judge. Until you have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, there is no reason to judge. You do you and I will continue to do me.

Yes, this is a thorn in my side because it is none of no one else's business what the next person does or doesn't do.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETELY agree. When people begin cutting things out completely is when you see people fail on their diets. It is all about moderation and giving yourself a "cheat day" every now and then. I loooove food and I loooove to eat! If I go over here or there, big deal. My tummy is happy and so is my mind :)

Its none of you business though. And most people don't fail when they restrict, especially when there are reasons they are restricting.

Good for you that your body can so called "handle" everything in moderation, most others can't.

Personally I think the whole "in moderation" is a bunch of excuses not to make permanent lifestyle changes. I am sorry, but eating the same things you were eating that made you fat in the first place and then switching to just eating less of those things is not a lifestyle change.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options

DITTO!:flowerforyou: