Question regarding turkey

Options
I just bought some turkey and the calories contain 205 calories per 125g, that's seems quite high to me. I assumed turkey was a good meat to eat ?

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    What kind of turkey was it? Like processed lunchmeat? Did you prepare and cook your own turkey? Also that's like 4 oz or so which is a normal serving of meat. 205 calories isn't bad at all. How much do you think a serving should be?
  • judgejava
    Options
    it is a good meat to eat.

Calories dont mean it is not good for you, it is how the calories are made up that makes it healthy or not.

Turkey is very lean and high in protein.

besides 125g is a serving size therabouts, placed in a whole grain or wholemeal low sodium bread with some spinach, some lighter than light mayo and you have a nutritious and healthy low in fat meal for a lunch etc at about 250 to 300 calories.

If you are having larger portions than this combined with other things then you need to adjust your portion control.

a 300 to 400 cal meal 3 to 4 times a day is anything from 1200 to 1600 calories a day spreadout to keep metabolism high during day and within or close to your likely calorie requirement depending on your goals of course.

I just had a 300 calorie lunch of lean chicken in a sandwich as described above.

A good food or good meat is not defined by next to no calories, calories are good dont forget that ! they are not bad if from the right foods and in the right portions and quantities a day.

Cheers
  • arsenalbates
    arsenalbates Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well I compared it to some frozen chicken breast I had which was 97 calories per 100g and the turkey was 205 per 125g.

I know its not much of an increase but as you can see I can enjoy more chicken than I can turkey. (Nearly half)

Just assumed that they would be around the same.

And its frozen turkey.

Thanks for the responses !
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Well then eat chicken.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

I know that this is an American site, but i use it all the time for Turkey Nutritional information, as i work on a turkey farm and need to label products.
    We recently got a Lab to do nutrition testing on turkey and the results where in line with the USDA site.

Turkey is good eat lots keep me in a job.

Just saw your post, try to eat fresh meat, less processing and less lightly to be pumped full of water and other nasties.
  • judgejava
    Options
    the nutritional information varies across brands and labels.

if you see here http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-turkey-breast-meat-i7079

43g is about 45 calories, so in your case it comes out to about 130 calories for 125g.

is the chicken, chicken breast ?

is the turkey turkey breast ?

leg meat (dark meat) and white meat is different, also skin makes a difference.

It is difficult to assess to be honest with labels vs online, you need to make judgement calls.

However that being said, it is less important when eating healthy food, i mean 100 extra calories from fresh lean turkey is better than 50 extra calories from a fatty burger for example, though calories are calories if your goal is weight loss, however nutritionally speaking some calories are better than others of course.

Cheers
  • arsenalbates
    arsenalbates Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys I see where your coming from.