Finding it hard to eat back exercise calories...

Options
Hi, since i have started eating healthy and 'clean' and exercising everyday, i have found it quite difficult to eat enough calories to compensate for the calories burnt. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode as the last thing i need right now is for my body to cling to its fat resources. Any ideas for low sugar yet high calorie 'clean' foods?

Replies

• PolkaDot88
    PolkaDot88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat back about half of my exercise calories, but when I am having difficulty reaching that I grab a handful of nuts or trail mix. It's also a good energy boost as a mid-morning snack. If we are out of nuts I have been known to eat a spoonful of peanut butter, or apple wedges dipped in peanut butter. :)
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    Hi,

I have only just realised I need to eat back my exercise calories too, but Im only just managing to eat the 1200 set as it is?
    It must work better if you do though so Im really going to give it a try now.

Perhaps snacks like snack a Jacks and things throughout the day?

Good luck x
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have only recently been told to do so and am finding it hard as well. For snacks, I eat raw almonds or Dannon diabetic friendly lite n fit yogurt.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    All of these suggestions are fine, but remember, it's better to go to McDonald's and eat french fries than to NOT eat back your exercise calories.

Let's not make this into some kind of drama like we suddenly forgot how to eat.

DISCLAIMER: my advice presupposes you are logging in correct info...lol

Good luck to you.
  • madimolly
    madimolly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thankyou guys, i think i will try the nuts and see how i go, it's just that it seems so unnatural to eat so much more than i feel hungry for. Oh well, i am sure i will get there - best of luck to you all. :)
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    I have found that if I eat back, I stop losing weight... I am not hungry, but I find it impossible to eat back all of the exercise calories.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I happily eat back my exercise calories. You could eat lots of fruits and veggies to make up the difference. Nuts pack lots of calories in a relatively small package. You could try protein bars or powders. I like Pure Protein bars and EAS vanilla powder. Both of those options are very low in sugar.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    100 snack ideas from www.sixsistersstuff.com

(Some are better than others)

1. Frozen Grapes (I used to eat these in college all the time- they are amazing)
    2. String Cheese
    3. Banana
    4. Frozen Banana (peel it first, stick in the freezer overnight- it's like a yummy popsicle)
    5. Low-fat Yogurt
    6. Sugar-free or fat-free pudding
    7. Apple dipped in Peanut Butter (or spread peanut butter on top of apple slice and top with pecans . . . so good!)
    8. 100-calorie bag of popcorn
    9. Applesauce
    10. Raw veggies with hummus (my new favorite!)
    11. Almonds
    12. Apple
    13. Skinny S'more (two graham crackers with one roasted marshmallow and one small square dark chocolate)
    14. Smoked Beef Jerky (about 1 oz- look for low-sodium!)
    15. Chocolate Milk
    16. Hard Boiled Egg
    17. Sunflower Seeds
    18. Cottage Cheese
    19. Sliced Cantaloupe
    20. Raisins
    21. Pita Bread and Hummus
    22. Rice Cakes
    23. Sugar-free Jello
    24. Dried Fruits
    25. Frozen Yoplait Whips Yogurt (these seriously taste like ice cream when they are frozen!)
    26. Air-Popped Popcorn
    27. Pistachios
    28. Clementines (we call them Cuties or Clemmies)
    29. Fruit Smoothie (or Kristen's Green Smoothie- it's actually delicious!) 30. Handful of olives
    31. Pickles
    32. Handful of blueberries with 2 tablespoons fat-free Cool-Whip
    33. Ants on a Log (celery with peanut butter and raisins)
    34. 1 cup mixed berry salad (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries) tossed with one tablespoon fresh-squeezed orange juice.
    35. Peanut Butter and Bananas on whole wheat bread
    36. Trail Mix (make your own! Throw in dried fruit, sunflower seeds, nuts, low-sugar cereals, and even the occasional piece of candy for something sweet.)
    37. Orange Slices
    38. Cherry Tomatoes
    39. Graham Crackers
    40. Small Green Salad with light dressing
    41. Mango smoothie (frozen mango, mango Greek Yogurt, and a small amount of orange juice)
    42. Kabobs (thread low-fat meat, low-fat cheese, pineapple and cherry tomatoes onto a stick- my kids love anything on a stick!)
    43. Half of a Cinnamon-Raisin topped with peanut butter and banana slices
    44. Grilled Pineapple (throw them on the grill or a skillet on med. heat for two minutes or until golden)
    45. Baked Apples (one tennis ball-sized apple, cored, filled with 1 teaspoon brown sugar and cinnamon, and baked until tender)
    46. Animal Crackers
    47. Strawberries dipped in fat-free Cool Whip
    48. Low-fat tortilla topped with egg salad, shredded carrots and cucumber slices
    49. Parfait (build your own with Greek yogurt or plain yogurt, fruit, and granola)
    50. Bowl of bran flakes with 1/2 cup skim milk and berries
    51. Guacamole with veggies
    52. Triscuit's Thin Crisps dipped in cottage cheese or hummus
    53. Cashews
    54. Pretzels
    55. Sun Chips (portion control! Read the serving amount on the side!)
    56. Cheesy Breaded Tomatoes: Two roasted plum tomatoes sliced and topped with 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
    57. Sugar Snap Peas
    58. Steamed Veggies (steam non-starchy vegetables in a microwave safe bag and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup pasta sauce)
    59. Apricots
    60. Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges
    61. Any 100 calorie pack
    62. Snack/Granola bar (around 150 calories or less, like Kellogg's All-Bran, Kashi TLC Trail Mix, or Fiber one Bar)
    63. Baked chips (about 7-10) with salsa
    64. Soy Chips
    65. Protein Bar
    66. Sweet Potato Fries (one light-bulb sized sweet potato sliced, tossed with 1 teaspoon olive oil, and baked at 400° for 10 minutes)
    67. Wrap (I like a slice of turkey, Swiss cheese, baby spinach leaves, and cranberry relish wrapped up in a tortilla)
    68. Pumpkin Seeds (2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, sprayed with oil (just a spritz!) and baked at for 400° for 15 minutes or until brown. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on top)
    69. Bean Salad
    70. Broccoli Florets
    71. Peaches and Cottage Cheese
    72. Chopped Red Peppers (dipped in fat free ranch)
    73. V8 Vegetable Juice
    74. Tuna with Triscuit crackers
    75. Cooked and Cubed Chicken Breast
    76. Homemade Popsicles (puree watermelon, strawberries, mango, banana, etc and freeze in popsicle molds)
    77. Dates with almond butter or rolled in coconut
    78. Quesadilla (whole wheat (or corn) tortillas w/cheese (or not) melted in microwave - adding on tomatoes, beans, corn, olives, avocado or guacamole or whatever sounds good)
    79. Watermelon
    80. Cubed Apples and Cubed Cheese (this was my husband's favorite after-school snack when he was little)
    81. Craisins (I love to eat these with almonds- it's a good combo)
    82. Goldfish Crackers
    83. Edamame
    84. Cheesy Roasted Asparagus (four spears (spritzed with olive-oil spray) and topped with 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, baked for 10 minutes at 400°)
    85. Turkey Roll-Ups (Four slices smoked turkey rolled up and dipped in 2 teaspoons honey mustard)
    86. Strawberry Salad (1 cup raw spinach with ½ cup sliced strawberries and 1 tablespoon balsamic)
    87. Oatmeal
    88. Banana Smoothie (½ cup sliced banana, ¼ cup nonfat vanilla yogurt, and a handful of ice blended until smooth)
    89. Lime Sherbet (1/2 cup serving) with sliced kiwi
    90. Apple Chips (dehydrated apples- they are so good!)
    91. Black Beans (mix 1/4 cup black beans with 1 tablespoon salsa and 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt for an added twist!)
    92. Lettuce wrap (try two slices honey-baked ham with 2 teaspoons honey mustard rolled in a lettuce leaf)
    93. Pecans (try five pecans roasted with 2 teaspoons maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
    94. Chocolate Covered Strawberries (dip 5 strawberries in 2 squares of dark chocolate- that is still good for you, right?!)
    95. Honeyed Yogurt (½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt with a dash of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon honey)
    96. Blackberries (so good mixed with plain yogurt)
    97. Frozen Mangos
    98. Tropical Juice Smoothie (¼ cup pineapple juice, orange juice, and apple juice, blended with ice)
    99. Healthier Banana Bread
    100. Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip with fresh fruit
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine, but nuts are probably a good bet.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yesterday for me was very hard to eat back my exercise calories. I went to the gym mid-day so I was barely hungry the whole rest of the day! I had a morningstar veggie burger with guacamole to get my calorie count back up (Wholly Guacamole has 100 calorie snack packs that you can dip celery or crackers). Sometimes I will grab a Larabar also that will be filling (each different flavor bar has 9 or less natural ingredients and is between 190-230 calories)
  • SkinnierHealthierMe
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. I eat enough as it is. I was living just fine off of 800 calories a day when I first started, it jump started me, and now I eat my calories, and brag to my future hubby about how many calories I have left after logging my work out. If you're not hungry, don't eat :-)
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    I have found that if I eat back, I stop losing weight... I am not hungry, but I find it impossible to eat back all of the exercise calories.

this is where I struggle, I can't eat for the sake of eating if Im not hungry?
  • fritzy2000
    fritzy2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the complete opposite problem- When I have my exercise calories added- I nearly end up using them all on top of my daily calorie allowance and feel this really isnt doing me any favours.... infact I think it may be increasing my sweet tooth and instead of reaching for the fruit and veg , I'm going straight for chocolate and crisps!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nuts, advocados, olive oil, truffle oil, salmon, bananas....all excellent for you, healthy and high in calories!

You could also eat more rice and pasta to bulk out your diary if you are struggling.

:-)
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wasn't netting enough calories and saw my weightloss completely stall.
    Since New Yr I've been eating nearly every single one back and have upped my exercise.
    At first I found eating nuts and a big high cal milky drink before bed balanced it out but I soon got bored of
    this each night and didn't want to eat rubbish just to fulfill my calorie goal.

So I've now worked out (and it seems quite obvious when I say it lol), that I just need to carry on eating
    my normal healthy food, just bigger portions, and do so from breakfast onwards.
    That way I'm exercising to burn off the cals, rather than eating to eat them back.
    And if I do miss some exercise, and end up slightly over, I feel I'm doing less damage overall to my weightloss
    journey as all I have to do is catch up a work out over the week, rather than doing it the other way round and struggling to
    eat back all my cals, and either eating rubbish, or risking starvation mode.

Since making a point of eating them all back, I've lost 2 inches from my waist and about 3.5lbs in the last
    fortnight (which for me is pretty gd considering I wasn't losing at all for a month pre New Year). HTH :flowerforyou:
  • kerry0521
    kerry0521 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The most important skill we can learn is to listen to our body and eat good healthful food when hungry and not eat when we aren't. If you are forcing yourself to eat, something is wrong with that picture. You want to aim to eat until just satisfied and not over full. It can take awhile to even know what that feels like

I don't worry about eating back my exercise calories each day if I am not hungry. Because sometimes the hunger doesn't catch up with me until the NEXT day when I am not exercising. So I aim to average out over time.

Also, it is very common to overestimate one's calorie burn. So if you are trying to eat all the calories back, and you have overestimated what you burned, you aren't going to lose like you'd like to.

Listen to your body!!!
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about not being able to eat back your calories, especially if you are consuming poor quality foods to do so. I finished yesterday with 2543 calories remaining. I was eat about 1700 a day, but after a 2.5 hour bike ride (3000 cals burned) I find it extrememly difficult to get anywhere near my cals (4700) for the day.

If you're hungry, then eat. If not, don't worry about it.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Try eating a static intake that a little higher than the MFP goal (assuming you are at 1200), try for 1500-1700 (this is guessing without knowing your stats).

For example, instead of eating 1200 + exercise cals to lose 1 lb per week, I just work out 5 days a week and eat 1700 calories a day (exercise or not)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hi, since i have started eating healthy and 'clean' and exercising everyday, i have found it quite difficult to eat enough calories to compensate for the calories burnt. I don't want my body to go into starvation mode as the last thing i need right now is for my body to cling to its fat resources. Any ideas for low sugar yet high calorie 'clean' foods?

When you don't eat by your calories, how big is your deficit? What is your daily goal and what do you generally end up with for net cals?

Not eating back exercise cals isn't a big deal if the caloric deficit isn't too big.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you know you're going to burn a lot of calories with exercise, eat a little bit more at each meal so you're not trying to play catchup "eating them back." Have an extra half a cup of cereal in the morning, or a hard boiled egg. Use full fat milk instead of skim. Have an extra piece of fruit as a snack. Have an extra ounce of protein with your lunch. Cook with olive oil and have another extra ounce of protein with your dinner.

Add an extra 100 calories to each meal and an extra 50 to two snacks, and you've got 400 calories.