My Knees!!!!!!!!!

Options
OMG MY KNEES HURT!!

I have perfect form, first of all.
About a month an ½ ago I started to notice my knees hurt when I squatted or kneeled down.
I have been doing P90X since the start of last year, no problems.

I started taking once a week Zumba classes, ta~da the knees started hurting. So I thought MAYBE I had bad form while dancing.
So at the next class I checked.
Nope!
Good form.
My knees feel like they are bruised on the top of the caps.
In fact, if I touch them they hurt?!?! What the heck?

Ice does nothing, Aleve does nothing. Nothing helps??
So what do you guys think??
Don’t tell me to stop Zumba, because I won’t ;)
Plus, I stopped Zumba for 3 weeks and nothing changed.

Am I just OLD??? HA HA HA

Replies

• eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had a problem with below the knee cap on only one knee and i found that stretching it out helped a lot. I also figured out it was happening because of sitting with my legs crossed at the knees for extended periods of time after exercising my legs. However I am not a doctor or a trainer. Just commiserating.
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ How do you stretch your knees?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    OMG MY KNEES HURT!!

About a month an ½ ago I started to notice my knees hurt when I squatted or kneeled down.

I started taking once a week Zumba classes, ta~da the knees started hurting. So I thought MAYBE I had bad form while dancing.
    Nope!
    Good form.

I'm 47, and my knees hurt from tennis from time to time, and last year when I was playing too heavily, I got injured. I took a rest.
    All is well!
    You must find your own balance or the pain will manifest in something serious. Pain is like the red warning light in your dash saying "Check Engine". Sure, the car seems to be running OK, so why rush into some diagnostic?

Next thing you know, you're sidelined.

Take control, be realistic and give your body the rest as well as the stress of exercise.

Good Luck;
    ALL IS POSSIBLE!
  • Pughey
    Pughey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I get this too!! I do 2 zumba classes a week and a Total Tone class and thought it was from all that. I was in agony by the end of the week last week. I'll be interested to see what suggestions come up. And yes, how DO you stretch your knees???
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    OMG MY KNEES HURT!!

Nope!
    Good form.

I'm 47, and my knees hurt from tennis from time to time and last year when I was playing too heavily, I got injured. I took a rest.
    All is well!
    You must find your own balance or the pain will manifest in something serious. Pain is like the red warning light in your dash saying "Check Engine". Sure, the car seems to be running OK, so why rush into some diagnostic?

Next thing you know, you're sidelined.

Take control, be realistic and give your body the rest as well as the stress of exercise.

Good Luck;
    ALL IS POSSIBLE!

Rest.. the forgotten part of excersize.
  • bobogal
    Options
    Hi I've always had knee problems since my early 20s from over exercising and wear rubber and canvas shoes in the old days. But recently the right one hurt for 2 weeks and then the left one started hurting. I finally saw a doc and she said my knees were inflammed and prescribed some medicine. They are now fine. So if they hurt for a prolonged period, see a doc.

Good luck!
  • Try to see a physical therapist. They can assess your knees and assign exercises and stretches specifically for you. Knees are complex things.
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My knees have a habbit of popping out of place when i squat down, most of the time this is just an inconvienece however sometimes it seriously hurts to the point I cant sleep because of the pain. My doc told me to sit on a chair and extend my leg so its straight and hold it there for roughly 20 seconds then lower it and repeat about 20 times (im doing it now as i type). This will strengthen the muscles in that area and keep your knee inline.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My knees have a habbit of popping out of place when i squat down, most of the time this is just an inconvienece however sometimes it seriously hurts to the point I cant sleep because of the pain. My doc told me to sit on a chair and extend my leg so its straight and hold it there for roughly 20 seconds then lower it and repeat about 20 times (im doing it now as i type). This will strengthen the muscles in that area and keep your knee inline.

I had a friend in high school who had to do this because her kneecaps kept popping out of place. In her case it was because she was so inactive, her muscles weren't strong enough to hold her kneecap where it was supposed to be! :embarassed:
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If they hurt on your kneecap surface, you may have patellar tendonitis. You should rest them for a week to ten days to see if that helps.
  • JudyPMorg
    Options
    My knee pain is from osteoarthritis. My Ortho suggested working on an exercise bike to strengthen muscles around my kneecap. Regular bicycling will also help. If this pain is consistent, please go to see a doctor. You might need support for your knees or use low-impact movement. I like the other posters that said to NOT ignore the pain.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and noticed lately that my knees hurt when I wake in the morning. I started taking a Calcium supplement and that has helped tremendously. You may want to consider trying it. Otherwise a joint support supplement may be helpful.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I get this too!! I do 2 zumba classes a week and a Total Tone class and thought it was from all that. I was in agony by the end of the week last week. I'll be interested to see what suggestions come up. And yes, how DO you stretch your knees???

I do "knee circles" Bend forward and place your hands on your knees in a bent standing position. Move your knees into small circles for a warm up before exercise.
  • alikat5544
    alikat5544 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My knee pain is from osteoarthritis. My Ortho suggested working on an exercise bike to strengthen muscles around my kneecap. Regular bicycling will also help. If this pain is consistent, please go to see a doctor. You might need support for your knees or use low-impact movement. I like the other posters that said to NOT ignore the pain.
    I agree! I had severe knee pain after first starting to work out and Zumba. Went to an Ortho and have since found out that I have arthritis in both knees. I get a shot of cortisone in both knees and take an anti-inflammatory. Oh and I wear a brace (ace) on whichever knee is hurting the most at the time. Also, IcyHot or some type of topical medicine is great. Some of the other posters talked about muscles around the knees, definitely build up your quads, modify squats and lunges, and don't hyper extend your knees. Hope rest works for you, if not go to an Ortho. Good luck!
  • rachel4
    rachel4 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So much good advice!
    Really, it’s SO very helpful!

Thank you guys! :love:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    OMG MY KNEES HURT!!

Nope!
    Good form.

Sounds like patellar tendinitis. Overuse of knees is the usually cause.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition