Hypothyroidism (autoimmune) and Weight Loss

Options
I'm having a hard time. My weight just doesn't seem to budge. I gained like 4lbs in the last few weeks and when I had my labs done this week, they were very confusing. TSH was .074 (I should be losing with this number), free T3 was 2.8 (2.0-4.4), and free T4 was .91 (.82-1.77). With such a low TSH, my free's should be much higher than they are. I have a dr appt this Thurs, but I just don't know what to do. Something isn't right. Anyone else with thyroid disease and have issues like this? Any advice is appreciated. :-)

On a side note, I am also on Metformin for insulin resistance and am on a gluten-free diet due to recently finding out I was sensitive to it. :-/

Replies

• annimal74
    Options
    Hi I also have hypothyroid :(. Its very tough to loose weight. I have been going to the gym religiously burning over 900 cals a day and actually gained .6lb very frustrating. I did some research about it online and all I could find was drs saying you can loose weight with hypo but you have to work twice as hard as everybody else to do it :(. If you find anything out please post :)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have Hasimotso's Hypothyroid too and I also take Metformin.

I would suggest the first place to start is diligently logging your foods to see how much you are really eating.
  • roseantoinette1
    roseantoinette1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've had hypothyroidism for about 3 years now and all I can say is good luck. It is so hard to lose - but it can be done. This website really does help with keeping you on-track since I use to think I was eating around 1,200 calories but found out it was much more than that. I'm only weighing in every three weeks instead of every week because when the scale doesn't more, I get very discouraged. Keep logging, exercise when you can and remember you're Not alone!
    Good luck!
    Rose
  • annimal74
    Options
    I log my food everyday everything I eat I have my calories set at 1300 a day and very rarely do I ever go over :)
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have Hasimotso's Hypothyroid too and I also take Metformin.

I would suggest the first place to start is diligently logging your foods to see how much you are really eating.

I have Hashimoto's too. It takes alot of work to lose weight but it can be done. You just have to have patience.
  • shampton06
    shampton06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been logging my food. I lost a bunch of weight last year with running, shredding, and logging my food. I was eating 1800 cals a day, too (and eating back my calories!). I am now trying to stay under 1700. This normally works well for me, but for some reason it's just not. I've started doing the 30DS again, so maybe I just need a little more time.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i have hypo too... add a little coconut oil to your diet and stay away from soy as much as you can.. can be so frustrating, i know..
  • mackenzierain
    mackenzierain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite, hyperthyroidism and over the last 18 months have gained weight. I just finished my 18 months of meds and my last blood work showed that I am now hypothryoid (the meds were too strong) and have been finding it hard losing the weight as well.
  • annimal74
    Options
    I've been logging my food. I lost a bunch of weight last year with running, shredding, and logging my food. I was eating 1800 cals a day, too (and eating back my calories!). I am now trying to stay under 1700. This normally works well for me, but for some reason it's just not. I've started doing the 30DS again, so maybe I just need a little more time.
    What is 30ds?
  • shampton06
    Options
    What is 30ds?
    30 Day Shred
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I just finished reading the Perfect Health Diet by Dr. Jaminet - and they specifically address thyroid issues caused by eating cereal grains. It's not enough to just go gluten free, we need to go grain free completely. Something about the grain elements messing with your gut signals to the brain, that mess with the pituitary thyroid connection. It was a lot of scientific stuff that I can't recall verbatim, however, that was the gist. Eliminate all grain except white rice (doesn't have the same toxic elemental level as other grain or brown rice) and thyroid issues get better.

I just started trying this way of eating - I'm into Day 2. It's way to early to make any sort of recommendation - but you might want to read the book to start.
  • annimal74
    Options
    i have hypo too... add a little coconut oil to your diet and stay away from soy as much as you can.. can be so frustrating, i know..

Coconut oil really? I never would have thought of that works huh?
  • annimal74
    Options
    What is 30ds?
    30 Day Shred
    Hrmmm haven't heard of that?
  • Moosey75
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and say I'm in this same boat too.. Hang in there we can beat this! It may take us a little longer than the regular folks but we'll get there!
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have hashimoto's too, however my thyroid numbers TSH, T3, T4 are in the normal range without medication. They found mine by testing my antibodies. My antibodies were through the roof. They did an ultrasound on my thyroid to confirm and my thyroid is non-functioning. So I am on meds for the rest of my life. So demand them to check your thyroid antibodies if all else is normal. I have lost 65 pounds in 10 months, so it can be done with a thyroid problem.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I know this really isn't my place but have any of you cut out processed and packaged foods? There have been a lot of links from plastics, preservatives and food dyes to endocrine disruption which can really mess up our hormones. I only ask because it's something I am seriously concerned with and I would eventually like to specialize in treating and preventing these kinds of problems that are so common today. My mom suffers from hypothyroidism and my aunt had thyroid cancer and I'm interested in lowering my own risk and eventually helping others.

Take a look at something like this:

http://www.epa.gov/endo/pubs/edspoverview/whatare.htm

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/bendrep.asp

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/
  • shampton06
    Options
    I just finished reading the Perfect Health Diet by Dr. Jaminet - and they specifically address thyroid issues caused by eating cereal grains. It's not enough to just go gluten free, we need to go grain free completely. Something about the grain elements messing with your gut signals to the brain, that mess with the pituitary thyroid connection. It was a lot of scientific stuff that I can't recall verbatim, however, that was the gist. Eliminate all grain except white rice (doesn't have the same toxic elemental level as other grain or brown rice) and thyroid issues get better.

I just started trying this way of eating - I'm into Day 2. It's way to early to make any sort of recommendation - but you might want to read the book to start.
    I know, I know. LOL I've done a lot of research last year about inflammation and grains. I *know* I should get off them, but it's just so hard. I don't eat bread or pasta even gluten-free. It's enough that I have to eat gluten-free or be in a lot of pain. :-P It's a tough thing to give up.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Bump...for a friend to read
  • shampton06
    Options
    I know this really isn't my place but have any of you cut out processed and packaged foods? There have been a lot of links from plastics, preservatives and food dyes to endocrine disruption which can really mess up our hormones. I only ask because it's something I am seriously concerned with and I would eventually like to specialize in treating and preventing these kinds of problems that are so common today.

Take a look at something like this:

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/
    I don't eat processed foods really. I try to stick with organic when I can. I have a limited income, so I can only do so much. :-/
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, too. It's tough. I don't have any advice. I know my doctor had to be pushed to up my meds. when I needed it. I have decided that the next time I have an issue that may be thyroid related, I'm going to see an endocrinologist instead of a general practitioner.