Whey Protein

Options
Let me know how often you use it and when if you do :-p

First time trying it...

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it should be taken within 30 minutes of strength training.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    First thing I do when I get home from the gym is drink a Whey Protein shake- i like Designer Whey double chocolate... yummy shaken with milk and a couple of ice cubes! Gotta fuel those muscles so they rebuild :)
  • melbaby925
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet whey protein isolate; 1 scoop in the morning in a smoothie. I have 1/2 before my workout and 1/2 after my workout. Mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to cook :)

However, I've always had a hard time hitting enough protein during the day and find that if I do a protein smoothie for breakfast, I can maintain my protein levels!

I chose Bluebonnet at the natural store because it comes from grass fed, hormone free cows.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink whey protein mixed with milk and a few ice cubes after my workouts, as well as a snack in prep for a workout of 1 hr or less. After my long runs of 10 miles or more, I drink Muscle Milk -- TONS of protein.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I take it within 30 minutes of working out. From what I've read in research, protein powder (being such a concentrated dose in a powder form) is only highly absorbed by your body after muscle break-down following a workout. Drinking protein powder throughout the day, while not a bad thing, simply will not be absorbed by the body as fully as it is following a workout.

I drink protein shake post workout and then try to get the rest of my protein from foods throughout the day.
  • caramel1920
    Options
    I also drink mine as soon as I get home from the gym. I use Body Fortress, right now I have chocolate. I use soy milk, it's delicious and filling. Sometimes I eat fruit with mine but more often I just have the shake for breakfast and then a couple of hours later I'll have a snack like greek yogurt or fruit or something. Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • NettyB62
    Options
    I make a whey protein shake (wal mart) made with 1 cup skim milk and a banana..throw all in blender together. I have this everyday after my workout when I get back home. My trainer said I need the protein to help my muscles recover from the workout.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I started recently right after I work out (from home) with 1 cup almond milk and 1 scoop of whey protein powder. It is filling and yummy. I got mine at walmart.
  • Saftlad
    Saftlad Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I take mine after a heavy weights workout.

I get the isolate and make my own, just adding some rolled oats, dextrose, some glutamine and good old fashioned water.

Whilst I'm sure the pre-mixed commercially available stuff is fine, I just prefer mixing my own - it's a lot cheaper
  • dwurth2
    dwurth2 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as everyone else...I make a protein shake either an hour before I work out, or drink one within 30 min. of getting done with a workout. I use Jay Robb Whey Protein---GREAT taste--I used to use the stuff at Walmart and thought that it tasted good until I tried Jay Robb---AMAZING difference in taste!! Comes from grass fed -hormone free cows, no artificial sweeteners, no cholesterol, no fat, no artificial colors or flavors, no msg, and lactose free!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I take it to meet my protein totals for the day but I don't concern myself over the timing of it. I take as much as needed to hit my minimum protein target. On an average day this ends up being between 0 and 3 servings.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it should be taken within 30 minutes of strength training.

The anabolic window has been proven to be a myth.

I take it usually after a workout though. It helps to carve off whatever appetite you may have built up working out. I also will have one in the morning if the day before my protein macro was a bit low.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have mine after a long run or weight training usually shoot for within an hour or so of being done with my workout. I don't drink mine as a shake all the time I usually have it pancakes or oatmeal and sometimes a shake if I add a small banana! Muscle milk and EAS chocolate Whey is yummy and relatively inexpensive but EAS has fewer calories (130cals EAS vs 150cals MM) and 7 grams of more protein per scoop vs. muscle milk! EAS 23 grams of protein MM 16 grams of protein per scoop.

Banana Chocolate Protein Pancakes
    3 egg whites or 1/4 cup
    2 ripe bananas
    1-2 scoops of protein

mix together!

cook like reg. pancakes 2-2 1/2 mins per side on medium heat make sure you spray your pan!

makes 6 pancakes 5-6 inches big about 400-530 calories total I usually split that with my bf!

Top with powdered sugar/cinnamon sugar or blueberries super yummy!
  • andreacord
    Options
    Within 30 minutes of working out. I don't always use it but I use it in different forms - lately I'm liking a scoop mixed in with some fat free yogurt. =)
  • purseus
    purseus Posts: 54
    Options
    I take half a scoop before and a full scoop after
  • angijunbug
    Options
    First thing I do when I get home from the gym is drink a Whey Protein shake- i like Designer Whey double chocolate... yummy shaken with milk and a couple of ice cubes! Gotta fuel those muscles so they rebuild :)

I do the same :wink: I also use Designer Whey. Right now I have the french vanilla flavor.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    The whole whey protein thing after a workout is a myth. Check out research by the ISSA and ACE. It's recommended that you drink a ration of 2 carbs to 1 protein after a workout. Since you use carbs as your first source of energy, your muscles absorb them like a sponge. Tack on the 1 protein to get carried into the muscles to help your actual muscle recovery. If you just drink straight whey protein you'll get results, but they won't be because you're drinking protein, they'll be from your workout.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Funny enough I cook a lot with protein powder.

cinnamon rolls, cheese cake, low cal fudge.

I usually modify a low cal desert and add in protein powder. I've also been known to sneak in some straight whey into breads I've baked. :-D
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I also drink a whey protein shake if I find I'm a bit low on protein, not necessarily after a workout.
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm using Body Fortress right now, but I prefer Muscle Milk! I drink mine immediately after strength training, and I like to blend mine with fruit. Today I had strawberries ;) Freaking amazing!