wedding dress weight loss mission

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and I have joined because I am looking to lose a lot of weight so I can wear my dream wedding dress. I havent actually tried it on or seen it because I'm too scared of seeing myself in a dress at the weight I am now. I am hoping to lose enough weight by august / september this year as its when me and my Fiance are hoping to get married.

Replies

• MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    I'm sure you will reach your goal. I am getting married this May and am trying to lose some weight by then. I found and bought my dress, but thankfully it is a tie up back dress so I can lose weight and it will still fit. :) There are a lot of people on here that will support you. I haven't been on here a full week yet, but have met many nice people who have been very encouraging. :)
  • Congrats!! I am getting married in October. I started this journey before I became engaged but I am also trying to get some pounds off before the wedding. Just be careful that you give yourself enough time for dress fittings and to have a dress properly sized so it isn't baggy the day of your wedding. I have 43 more pounds left to lose. I think what I am going to do is lose 20-25 more then maintain until after the wedding so I can have my dress alterations and make sure I get my dress on time.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    My husband and I decided to get in shape and drop our extra weight. I've been at it a few weeks but new to this site and it's a great tool. In relation to weddings, my husbands cousin is getting married this July , so the entire family began a weight loss challenge (to help make the bride feel extra support and accountability). It's pretty neat. And I'm sure it helps her stay focused on healthy eating choices. It helps me a lot to see a goal ! Good luck & congrats !
  • empresslove13
    empresslove13 Posts: 48 Member
    I am totally on the same missions! Go us. Why don't we post some goals? Maybe where we are started and where we hope to be by when?
    Today: 249.2
    Sept 2013: 140lbs goal!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 948 Member
    I have joined this mission about a year ago. Its been very helpful. Im really working hard again . Im in a wedding this August. Im a bridesmaid. So I reaaly want to get to my goal by then. We can do it. im here if you guys need any motavation.. Good Luck!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    There are lots of really gorgeous gowns that will flatter your body at any size and shape!! It doesn't hurt to get fit, of course, but don't set your heart on any gown until you go try some on. It took me nearly 100 different dresses before I found one that looked perfect on my body and I loved. Also keep in mind that you will need to stop losing weight and be in a maintenance mode about two months before the wedding, so make sure to give yourself some slack!

Good luck and congratulations!
  • I just signed up today when I found the site through pinterest. I am getting married at the end of April and have been working on losing weight for it but also continue after the wedding. I have been using an app called mynetdiary which has been awesome but I love the extras that you get on here. My goal is to lose 20lbs by March for my first dress fitting. Let's do this all together!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    I bought my dream gown in the size I was and ended up losing weight and had to take in a seamless gown It looked gorgeous, but it broke my heart to have to cut the material. YOu are going to do great. Have a style in mind, don't be afraid to go shopping, but wait to order it, but remember alterations can always be made, just buy bigger, not smaller.
  • Eat clean, lift weights! You'll look amazing! Congratulations!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 741 Member
    Congratulation on getting married.

When I got married in November 2008 I wore my dream dress and since gained a lot of weight and can't get back into it. I am hoping to be able to get back in it for our wedding anniversary, so although, I may not be getting married, I still want to fit in my dream dress. Lol. I looked stunning in it and would have worn it every day if I could (seeing as I was scared to eat in it, it would probably still fit if I did. LOl.)
  • greendaygal
    greendaygal Posts: 6 Member
    I am hoping to get married at some point in the next 2 years and have found my ideal dress, but it would look stupid on me at the size I am now. If any one wants to join me on the journey feel free to add me!

I have hung up a dress in my bedroom which is a similar size to what I want to be, at the moment I can't even get it over my thighs if I step into it! When I can get into that dress I know I can get my wedding gown ordered ^_^
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    I am also getting married this year and am on the "lose weight for my dress" mission! I have my first fitting in June and want to be at my idea weight by then and then maintain it until November!

I can use all the buddies I can get on this one so I hope you dont mind me joining too!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I got married in May and I picked out my dress in Jan...I started the weight loss thing in March...I was so worried about loosing too much and it wouldn't fit anymore and I didn't want to have to have it alterd and I was too far from the same company to exchange it for a smaller size!

I did loose weight and my mom said the top looked a little large but overall it still fit great! \

With how much I weighed, I didn't think I'd find any dress that was the "dream dress" but I still did and you will too! You'll look beautiful!!!

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • GemmaCloke
    GemmaCloke Posts: 5 Member
    wow its so amazing that i got this many replies! And its nice to know I'm not alone in this mission, feel free to add me if you like, would be good to share the challenge with others and to see the end result too.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    When I started losing in Feb of 2011 I was 170 pounds and a size 14/16 in jeans and xl in shirts. I got engaged in July and was SO happy! It will be my third (and FINAL) marriage, but I had never had a REAL wedding dress. Sad, huh? Anyway, I'm down to around 120 (jean size 4 and shirt size sm/md) and the dress I bought for my Feb ceremony was a 12. I was a little discouraged until the shop lady told me wedding dresses run a lot smaller, particularly the designer I was looking at, so in any normal (non-wedding) dress the same dimensions would be labeled more like an 8 and that made me feel lots better. It isn't THE dress.... that one is being handmade for me on Etsy to replicate the dress from the movie Ever After and I'm hoping to be down to 110 for that one! (I'm only 4'11", so it's well within a healthy range for me. :) ) Anyway, any of you brides are welcome to add me and I'll do what I can to help and motivate you all to a wonderful wedding day! :)